Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880021 times)

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3960 on: February 02, 2013, 06:04:58 am »

My miners refuse to mine out warm stone which I made warm.

"Natural" warm stone (near magma pipe) is ok for digging,
but warm stone surrounding my old (now empty) magma aqueduct is ignored.

I designate it for digging, or for smoothing, but the designation just stays there,
and dwarves ignore it, while non-warm walls just one tile away act normally.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: February 02, 2013, 06:10:16 am »

any problems with reachability or burrows possibly?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Mortis

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: February 02, 2013, 05:48:37 pm »

Does every adamantine spire have the road to the circus in it, or just some of them?
My full signature
To expand on this, I'm hoping someone can explain to me why my babies appear to be coated in axel grease...

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: February 02, 2013, 06:02:34 pm »

Does every adamantine spire have the road to the circus in it, or just some of them?

Just some. Be careful where/what you mine.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: February 02, 2013, 06:23:19 pm »

except for size (if it's too small it's safe) there is no way to tell
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Mortis

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: February 02, 2013, 07:57:45 pm »

Thanks! Also, if you've already triggered the clown car, will it happen again if you dig into another spire? Or is there only one entrance spire per map?
My full signature
To expand on this, I'm hoping someone can explain to me why my babies appear to be coated in axel grease...

sandi Mexicola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: February 02, 2013, 10:04:27 pm »

More than one entrance is possible, but you only trigger the clown car once.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: February 02, 2013, 10:12:01 pm »

FYI, according to the wiki: 
If there are multiple adamantine pillars present on the map, only one will trigger the invasion when breached. Thus, it's possible to descend into Hell 'safely' if you guess a right pillar.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: February 03, 2013, 04:56:51 am »

wow, amazing, imagine that, the information is on the wiki...

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: February 03, 2013, 02:39:12 pm »

My miners refuse to mine out warm stone which I made warm.

To answer my own question, I had temperature turned on when I made the tunnels,
and later turned it off. After I drained the magma channels, I guess the game
still marked the magma aqueduct tiles as ultrahot, so dwarves wouldn't go there.
After I turned the temperature back on, they saw it was reachable and dug the tiles out.

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: February 06, 2013, 11:04:04 am »

Since Hematite is found in sedimentary layers should I dig around about z-level 33 until I find some?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: February 06, 2013, 11:16:13 am »

In my experience, you're going to find hematite much closer to the surface if you find it at all.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: February 06, 2013, 05:57:23 pm »

Since Hematite is found in sedimentary layers should I dig around about z-level 33 until I find some?

Quote from: wiki
Chalk*, chert**, claystone, conglomerate, dolomite*, limestone*, mudstone, rock salt, sandstone**, siltstone and shale layers are sedimentary.

if it's not one of those layers it doesn't matter how deep or shallow you are. If it is a layer from one of those stones, it still isn't guaranteed

Lallante

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: February 07, 2013, 04:48:51 pm »

I have just started playing DF for the first time.  First embark and I'm up to over 200 dwarfs (sub 200 + last immigrant wave and babies) all happy, lots of legendary skills, reasonable military.

But nothing exciting seems to happen.  I've exported 80k+ wealth, generated many times more than that, I've breached the first caverns and I've traded with each civ several times.  The only hostiles I've encountered other than thieves etc is 2 ambushes and one 12 man 'seige' which were all polished off in seconds.

Any idea why its been so easy?

I know that I can just begin a megaproject, or dig deeper, or whatever, but in the meantime I was wondering is it possible to (in this case accidentally) embark in an "easy" area which doesn't ever get titans, giant animals, proper invasions etc?

I guess what I really want to know is should I re-embark somewhere else because it will never get unexpectedly hard in this embark unless I deliberately generate FUN, or if I wait will some interesting stuff happen?

PS: I embarked in year 100 (ie. very early) is this affecting it?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: February 07, 2013, 05:22:50 pm »

As far as I know, where you embark doesn't have much effect on how many above ground megabeasts you get, unless you embark on a lair (unlikely).  You'll never get that many titans, since they're much, much more rare than forgotten beasts.  Things like giants and minotaurs should show up on occasion, but you may go years without seeing above ground megabeasts and semimegabeasts.

Ambushes and sieges are likewise complicated.  I went years without getting anything in my last fort to suddenly getting two 100+ enemy sieges a year.  There is a definite correlation between how much wealth you produce and own, and the size of sieges and frequency of ambushes.  What is your fort wealth?  If it's in the low millions (say, less than 4 million), then sieges are probably going to be small and infrequent.

It is possible to embark in places where goblins can't reach you, but if you've received a single ambush or siege from them, this isn't the problem.

The best thing you can do to attract more enemies is to start massively pumping your fort wealth.  Serrated discs made of valuable metal are probably the single easiest way to do this, with valuable food being the next.  If you've got steel, start mass producing steel serrated discs and watch your value go to hilarious levels in short order.

Other than that, try exploring the caverns more.  You'll eventually wind up with a forgotten beast arriving that has the right combination of deadly syndrome and material body that you lose most of your military if you fight it directly.  Those can spark Fun in even the oldest, most secure forts.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 422