Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879829 times)

!!Fyre!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3855 on: January 24, 2013, 12:09:10 am »

Just picked up the game again after about a year away and I'm playing 0.34 now. About 4 dwarf years into my current fort I had a child mood and ended up with a nice goblin bone cage, which I proceeded to build outside so my dwarves would go admire it, helping to prevent cave adaptation. Literally 20 seconds later a flying fire-breathing titan flies over my wall and burns everything including the cage (and several dwarves). After managing the ensuing tantrum spiral for about 6 months I noticed my awesome cage is still on fire and is continually setting fire to anything that begins to regrow near it.  I know (at least in previous versions) that you could make ever-burning barrels, so I'm wondering if there is any way to put out and/or recover the cage.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: January 24, 2013, 03:22:15 am »

artifacts are supposed to be indestructible, so it might really burn for ever. Try to get some firefighters (stairs up a z-level, walkway, pond designation and watch them pour water on the flames). Don't know if it'll work, don't know if it'll go out by itself. Good luck though
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: January 24, 2013, 06:04:00 am »

Just picked up the game again after about a year away and I'm playing 0.34 now. About 4 dwarf years into my current fort I had a child mood and ended up with a nice goblin bone cage, which I proceeded to build outside so my dwarves would go admire it, helping to prevent cave adaptation. Literally 20 seconds later a flying fire-breathing titan flies over my wall and burns everything including the cage (and several dwarves). After managing the ensuing tantrum spiral for about 6 months I noticed my awesome cage is still on fire and is continually setting fire to anything that begins to regrow near it.  I know (at least in previous versions) that you could make ever-burning barrels, so I'm wondering if there is any way to put out and/or recover the cage.

Designate a pond zone over it, and have a dwarven bucket chain pour water on it. That worked last time I had fire-clowns set my military alight, including the artifact donkey leather quiver.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: January 24, 2013, 09:39:34 am »

Are metals waterproof? If I floor my fortress with them, will there not be any mud after flooding?

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: January 24, 2013, 10:08:02 am »

Just a quick question. Let say I was to send some finished goods from my trading depot stockpile back inside my fort stockpile by using a minecart. How do I prevent my dwarves from filling up the wrong stockpile instead?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: January 24, 2013, 10:27:02 am »

Link the fort stockpile to the track stop.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: January 24, 2013, 12:56:40 pm »

Are metals waterproof? If I floor my fortress with them, will there not be any mud after flooding?
There will always be mud after flooding. Mud on constructed floor tiles will not grow any plants though, so it will prevent trees from blocking pathways or anything like that.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Crazy Horse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: January 24, 2013, 07:23:39 pm »

Can a magma safe-bridge retract even if it's weighed down by several z-levels of magma? (In a case of the roof of a migrant entry-tunnel being a long bridge, this bridge also serving as the floor of a magma reservoir.)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: January 24, 2013, 07:35:03 pm »

Yes. The only things that will prevent a bridge from functioning are creatures with a base size of 1,000,000 or over.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Mr.Pylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: January 25, 2013, 03:22:45 pm »

I was perusing an old thread about making danger rooms for dwarf children and an idea popped into my head. Say you take a 3x3 room over several z-levels of nothing with a chain in the middle and floor hatches, linked to a lever, on all of the outside tiles and a creature attached to the chain. What happens when you pull the lever and the chained creature falls through one of the floor hatches? Will it hang at the end of the chain like a swinging dummy, will it simply drop to its death, or will something whacky happen?

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: January 25, 2013, 03:30:18 pm »

Why won't my dwarves build a gabbro still? I have 9 of them. Construction isn't suspended. They also won't build the kitchen. Thank you for any help.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: January 25, 2013, 03:31:54 pm »

Do you have anyone with the brewing (cooking for the kitchen) labors enabled?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: January 25, 2013, 03:38:56 pm »

That was it, thank you.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: January 25, 2013, 03:45:18 pm »

I was perusing an old thread about making danger rooms for dwarf children and an idea popped into my head. Say you take a 3x3 room over several z-levels of nothing with a chain in the middle and floor hatches, linked to a lever, on all of the outside tiles and a creature attached to the chain. What happens when you pull the lever and the chained creature falls through one of the floor hatches? Will it hang at the end of the chain like a swinging dummy, will it simply drop to its death, or will something whacky happen?

Chains only prevent voluntary movement.  If you do something like drop the floor from beneath a chained critter, they'll get loose.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Foxhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: January 25, 2013, 05:50:01 pm »

So do statues placed in the fortress decrease the chance of a dwarf going insane?
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 422