Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879853 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3555 on: December 15, 2012, 01:08:36 am »

Hi, just a little question : Is there a way to assign bedrooms without doing it one per one ?
I use macro's for this type of tedious repetition that is typically done in every fort.

As an example, I have a macro that designates all the hallways and rooms for 32 dwarfs.
Then I have a macro that places 32 beds in that area. (4 rows of 8 )
Once beds are in, I have a macro that creates all the bedrooms, and enlarges them exactly to fit the 5x5+door spot.
Then I have a macro that places 32 doors in that area. (again, 4 rows of 8 )  This way, done in this order, dwarfs consider the door "their own" for happy thoughts.
And so on for tables, chairs, statues.

If you want those macro's, PM me, I'll be happy to provide them.  There is also very likely a macro repository "nearby".

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: December 15, 2012, 05:32:26 am »

Had my first siege ever just now. It went terribly. I had a row of cage traps in front of a drawbridge. I had hoped to get the goblins to entrap themselves, then to station my military at the other end of the drawbridge so as to engage the stragglers. However, the military just rushed the bridge, went topside, and got murdered.

Is it best to station military out of eyeshot of the siege so as to avoid this senseless brutality?

Position and Timing.  One way to have perfect timing, is to build the fortress, smack in the center of the embark and slightly up the size to 4x4 from 3x3, so its longer for the enemy to reach the fortress walls.  A central barricade guarantees maximum footfalls from every direction to the main gate, drawbridge.

Inside the drawbridge/fort, paint a safety burrow.  Then add a military alert, called Danger.  Link Danger alert to Safety burrow.* 

Practice toggling that new military alert on/off so that the dorfs all huddle inside.  Right when you get the evil has arrived msg, toggle.  Another words, to toggle.. move the CIV from Inactive to Danger, skipping Active/Training.  Do this as soon as you get the SIEGE and all the nonmilitary dorfs will head inside.

Then what I do is I count to 50, and pull the drawbridge lever.  This gives my hunters/woodhaulers/choppers/fisherman, time to turtle up, before the bridge slams shut.  I also setup a secret back entrance.  One way goblin grinder, incase they miss the bus and get shut outside.  I have a door on that secret entrance.  Once they are all inside, and drawbridge is lifted, I stick a forbidden on that door.

Then I activate the squads, inactive to active/training, via the squad menu.  I like to scream, 'Markdwarfs to your stations!' really loud, and wake up my roomie at this point.  Since now there is no way to path outside to get into trouble, they stay up at their Defend Burrow, and plink. 

We must shut down pathing, or they will charge into melee, like berserkers.  Sincerely, Knutor

*hard part
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: December 15, 2012, 05:50:16 am »

Pretty much, I keep abandoning due to getting borded from being to safe. I enjoy the phase of starting up a fortress and such but once migrants arrive and the fotress becomes self sufficient + very safe, it becomes very boring which results in abandoning. I find being near invincible by simple use of invulnerable walls and bridges too easy and annoying. I want to use these features as a means of defence but is there some way to make them destroyable and vulnerable.

So essentially, is it possible to make bridges a good means of defence but also breakable, and Is there also any way to make the game a lot harder in making a safe fortress, (or even impossible?). I want to be able to go "all out" into my defence and still be in very real danger of being destroyed.

If anyone has any ideas at all I am very willing to listen, I am still a newb at this game mostly and wish to keep enjoying it and not abandoning every fortress within a year or two.

Thank you good sirs in advance.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 06:11:11 am by Sabretache »
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: December 15, 2012, 05:43:13 pm »

try a mod maybe, fortressdefence perhaps
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: December 15, 2012, 08:18:57 pm »

Is there also any way to make the game a lot harder in making a safe fortress, (or even impossible?).
Post your worldgen.txt, unless your using the default worlds. 

The worldgen.txt, is the simplest place I found to make things crazy hard.  Here's the one I use, take note I have 100x more megabeasts and 0 overpowered kobold ninjas.  There is so many megabeasts that the Age of ...., never leaves Myth, no matter how many years the history is rolled out to.  Megabeasts and Semimegabeasts breed, making even more. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seldom is it dull, if ya like minotaurs, forgotten beasts, dragons, etc...  I don't care for CSI:Armok or Towers.  If I want more action, on the surface, I pick a fight with the Humans or the Elves.  I'm in the process of building a second peripheral fortress down in cavern 3, and funneling all the monsters down to it for eradication.

If this world is too easy, change [SAVAGERY:0:60:500:500] to, 60:80, instead of 0:60.  Also add some elite siege officers, by increasing [DEMON_NUMBER:0] up from 0.  Default is 20.  Add Titans also, to increase the difficulty if you like them.  They might be just the thing your after, because they step over walls. 

Warning: Demon officers wear mastercraft gear, and they might just singlehandedly kill everything, when a large siege occurs.

Headsup: Discworld:Bad Ass Mountains is not very good for Adventure play. 

When it gets boring, and your sick of looking at it; turn on Misery in DFhack.
Sincerely, Knutor
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 08:21:51 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: December 15, 2012, 09:58:10 pm »

Will forbidden Great Horned Owl eggs hatch, with a semi-wild female on them?  I forbid them so they don't get hauled out, but still the trainer can come in and keep retraining the owl.  Maybe I shouldn't forbid eggs, that I want to hatch.. Hmm.  2nd year of sitting on them, and no peeps. 

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: December 15, 2012, 10:26:34 pm »

Eggs shouldn't take that long to hatch.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: December 15, 2012, 10:35:19 pm »

I've got a job to tame her, gonna see if it works, with her being on a roost+eggs.  *scratch-head*  This is odd AI.

Looks like she moved from Semi up to Trained with that lavish meal.  She is still sitting on a loaded nest.  *crossfingers* 

Maybe it was her status change that caused the eggs to become delayed in hatching.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:41:55 pm by knutor »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: December 15, 2012, 11:48:27 pm »

They're probably duds.  You'll probably have to unforbid them and wait for her to lay another clutch, although it may work better this time.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: December 16, 2012, 12:45:02 am »

They're probably duds.  You'll probably have to unforbid them and wait for her to lay another clutch, although it may work better this time.
This right here. If eggs are going to hatch they will hatch within the year, guaranteed (I think the actual length is like 10 months or something like that, but a year is for safety). Anything longer then that and you can collect and wait for a new clutch.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: December 16, 2012, 02:11:33 am »

Is there also any way to make the game a lot harder in making a safe fortress, (or even impossible?).
Post your worldgen.txt, unless your using the default worlds. 

The worldgen.txt, is the simplest place I found to make things crazy hard.  Here's the one I use, take note I have 100x more megabeasts and 0 overpowered kobold ninjas.  There is so many megabeasts that the Age of ...., never leaves Myth, no matter how many years the history is rolled out to.  Megabeasts and Semimegabeasts breed, making even more. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Seldom is it dull, if ya like minotaurs, forgotten beasts, dragons, etc...  I don't care for CSI:Armok or Towers.  If I want more action, on the surface, I pick a fight with the Humans or the Elves.  I'm in the process of building a second peripheral fortress down in cavern 3, and funneling all the monsters down to it for eradication.

If this world is too easy, change [SAVAGERY:0:60:500:500] to, 60:80, instead of 0:60.  Also add some elite siege officers, by increasing [DEMON_NUMBER:0] up from 0.  Default is 20.  Add Titans also, to increase the difficulty if you like them.  They might be just the thing your after, because they step over walls. 

Warning: Demon officers wear mastercraft gear, and they might just singlehandedly kill everything, when a large siege occurs.

Headsup: Discworld:Bad Ass Mountains is not very good for Adventure play. 

When it gets boring, and your sick of looking at it; turn on Misery in DFhack.
Sincerely, Knutor

Thanks for all the info!
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: December 16, 2012, 04:06:47 am »

Gonna make it short. Is the "water source" category in the "i" menu shown as 0 when you place the zone on top of a well?

If not, what might I have done wrong? The well is one level above the pool, it says "Water 7/7" everywhere in the pool. Would engravings on the floor of the pool be a problem?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: December 16, 2012, 04:42:15 am »

wells are automatically set as water source I think. The water source zone is for open water, so a pond or river. Since the well isn't open water, the zone doesn't take.

On the eggs, a trainer can cause the bird to move, causing the eggs not to hatch. Even crouching will cause this. With tamed birds I would suggest getting them to +trained+ and then locking them in, it should be enough to keep them slightly tame untill the eggs hatch
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: December 16, 2012, 08:01:04 am »

wells are automatically set as water source I think. The water source zone is for open water, so a pond or river.
Wells aren't water sources, they're wells. The building and the zone are separate from each other. You should be able to set a water source over an open space with water directly beneath, and since wells don't block open space they don't affect the creation of water source zones.

Are you extending the zone to include floor tiles? You need to do that.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: December 16, 2012, 02:46:26 pm »

How do I stop the birds attacking children?

Pasturing them doesn't seem to work. The only thing that DOES seem to work is butchering and eating the miscreant livestock. Any other ways?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 422