Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881583 times)

darknessofthenight

• Bay Watcher
  • cannibalism is complicated
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3330 on: November 09, 2012, 07:07:15 pm »

do they not eat at all or eat somewhere else?

Zaroua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: November 09, 2012, 07:12:05 pm »

They eat at the food stockpiles instead of going to their dining room.

Captain Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: November 10, 2012, 12:30:56 am »

Hello everyone! Does anyone know if food will rot if is sitting in a workshop? I'm wondering if I could use the clutter method for kitchens. If it rots in a workshop this is obviously a stupid idea, if it doesn't it's an okay idea. Thanks!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: November 10, 2012, 01:02:38 am »

Yes, it will rot in a workshop.  I have had plenty of stacks of food rot this way, much to my dismay.

No idea on what's wrong with Zaroua's dining rooms.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: November 10, 2012, 01:14:39 am »

I had a 1*3 pillbox for my marksdworfs to train in...it was above ground and covered with ceiling..it clearly said it was 'inside' 'light'...there were around 20 of them crowded up in that thing yet after a year or two they all began to complain of being irritated by the sun...How is this possible?Can anyone tell me then how to make a proper pillbox which prevents cave adaptation?thanks

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: November 10, 2012, 01:16:55 am »

Hello everyone! Does anyone know if food will rot if is sitting in a workshop? I'm wondering if I could use the clutter method for kitchens. If it rots in a workshop this is obviously a stupid idea, if it doesn't it's an okay idea. Thanks!

Food rot occurs here.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Captain Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: November 10, 2012, 10:06:25 am »

Food rot occurs here.

I actually saw that but because it doesn't rot in depots I thought workshops might count too. Thanks guys!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: November 10, 2012, 10:11:20 am »

Food rot occurs here.

I actually saw that but because it doesn't rot in depots I thought workshops might count too. Thanks guys!

It does rots in depots, but trading it away put stuff into merchant inventory, which don't rots. A good rule of thumb is if it's not in a food stockpile, it will rot sooner or later.

I've had food that wasn't sold to merchants rot on me before, it's not really noticible unless it's underground, though. Might've been changed sometimes in 34. since I've not left food to sit around in this version if I can help it, outside of accidental overproduction.

Alastor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: November 10, 2012, 02:23:02 pm »

Hey guys quick question here. What's the biggest map you've ever seen? Who's pushed it to the limit and big a square we talking about here. Like 30x40 squares, I'm just wondering what a super nice computer could do map size, I'd make whole dwarf countries if I had a i9 quadcore or something crazy like that. I doono, I'm just trying to get an idea of a scale of it.

Here's my specs, typically I'll select a 4x4 section to play my fortress on.
its an old macbook.
2GHz intel core 2 duo
2 GB ram

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: November 10, 2012, 02:35:38 pm »

Hey guys quick question here. What's the biggest map you've ever seen? Who's pushed it to the limit and big a square we talking about here. Like 30x40 squares, I'm just wondering what a super nice computer could do map size, I'd make whole dwarf countries if I had a i9 quadcore or something crazy like that. I doono, I'm just trying to get an idea of a scale of it.

Here's my specs, typically I'll select a 4x4 section to play my fortress on.
its an old macbook.
2GHz intel core 2 duo
2 GB ram

Map size limit's more how much memory DF can use. I've seen some people report crashes on 6x6 or bigger from running out of accessible memory. DF can only access around 2 gigabytes, or 3 with a unstable binary modification that I'm not familiar with. The most I've heard of on relatively current version of geological layering is 10x10 without crash back in later 31.xx's

I'd recommend 4x4 or 5x5 at most with how much memory you have, and smaller is better for FPS issue. Multi-core don't helps much beyond 2 since DF only have single thread for all of major functions, except rather minor graphic multithreading.

darknessofthenight

• Bay Watcher
  • cannibalism is complicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: November 10, 2012, 04:33:32 pm »

also the max size is  16 by 16, because you can only build one one tile

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: November 10, 2012, 06:21:59 pm »

DF can only access around 2 gigabytes, or 3 with a unstable binary modification that I'm not familiar with.

The 2GB limit is only on Windows.  Linux and Mac don't have that limit.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: November 10, 2012, 06:23:49 pm »

DF can only access around 2 gigabytes, or 3 with a unstable binary modification that I'm not familiar with.

The 2GB limit is only on Windows.  Linux and Mac don't have that limit.

They're still limited to 4GB for 32 bits apps, but yes, I forget they don't uses same addressing system.

That's probably how that 10x10 embark managed to get out, too!

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: November 10, 2012, 06:36:52 pm »

I've noticed on large embark maps, that the population of entities, visiting the embark map, animals, vermin, etc.. appear to be the same. 

I believe, increased size makes it longer for the hunter who has to use, and plan a longer path, taking more footfalls and time to reconnoiter targets, and then taking more time and footfalls to Return Kill.

Somewhere I read the only bonus to increasing the embark map size, and increasing the history, years, is to improve the possibility of getting a wacky dwarf, goblin, etc name. 

I've found 33x33 to be a nice world size;  With 33x127, being my favorite, but that one isn't square.  And non-square worlds break the embark, biome filters.

I've tried a world with the max megabeasts, semis, and titans; but the history rollout was mindnumbingly slow.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: November 10, 2012, 08:09:32 pm »

What could cause my dwarves to refuse to eat in their assigned dining room? Each dining room is inside the dwarf's 3x3 bedroom, the dining room is assigned to the dwarf who owns the bedroom, there's a clear path to the bedroom/food stockpile, the furniture isn't forbidden, burrows encompass all of the food/rooms, dwarves aren't using backpacks and each table has a chair next to it.

How far from the dining room is the food stockpile?  How far from where they work to the food stockpile?  It may be that during recent changes to pathing, Toady added in a bit of code to prevent dwarves from starving to death while carrying food from a stockpile to their chosen dining room.  This might be a problem if your dwarves have to walk a long way to food, then a long way to a dining room.

How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 422