Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881620 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3315 on: November 06, 2012, 05:44:46 pm »

IIRC kennels are kinda broken and half finished right now.

No you can't save vermin corpses for eating later. Dwarves will only eat live vermin.

Built animal traps work exactly as AutomataKittay described, serving as a live-catch mousetrap style. They have a chance of just losing the bait without catching anything that is based on their quality and large gem bait is currently useless. For purposes of ordering animal trappers to catch vermin I must quote the Book of Jobs, which says:
Imagine, if you will, a great and grizzled mountain man with a long flowing beard and eyes shining like two great lumps of coal. Imagine this man holding a bear trap. Imagine this man chasing a mouse with this bear trap. This is the basic scenario of dwarven Trapping.
Ordered dwarves will run around chasing vermin while holding a trap until they catch one.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: November 07, 2012, 09:25:20 am »

Then they appear to drop it.  Leaving the trapped vermin and trap to lay as litter.  Does the book of jobs say if this task, improves Observation.  I wonder.  Are vermin using stealth or just naturally small and hard to see.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Maulkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: November 08, 2012, 07:50:04 am »

Hei there!

Kan anyone help me with, how to make my ravens Trainable_WAR

not sure where in the RAW's i need to insert it, since where it is on the dog f.e does not have a matching position on the ravens where i can add it.

And are the ravens smarter in any way than other animals, or just something they wrote?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: November 08, 2012, 10:59:06 am »

You can insert it right underneath the [CREATURE:BIRD_RAVEN]. It really doesn't matter where you put it that much, unless you only wanted one caste trainable and the other not.

Ravens have the same intelligence as every other creature in the game. The only difference is that they have the [PREFSTRING:intelligence] token, which means that "dwarves will like ravens for their intelligence". It's completely for flavor.

Also for any future modding questions, you might want to consider asking over on the DF Modding Board, where they are much more likely to be able to answer them.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: November 08, 2012, 11:04:39 am »

I am not sure.  I'm bad at shark dentistry.  I thought someone said, the Exotic code and Dungeon Master code was removed, in lieu for activity zone training and the noble position Dungeon Master, himself. 

In this 14yr old fortress, I have no ravens at all, in the Overall Training animal list.  Yet they pester me, to death all the time.  I have seen female ravens for sale by the elves, and have bred tame ravens in other fortresses, after putting her in a room with a nestbox.

I do have Kea, in the Overall Training list and it says at a few facts.  Giant Bats however are still general familiarity.  I'd luv to get a Giant Hunting Bat, myself.  Haven't caged one of those, yet.

I'm not positive, but I wanna say this list contains the potential War/Hunting animals.  Unfortunately, as it maybe, ravens are not on it.  I maybe way wrong.  As donkey is on there, and he cannot become a Hunting pet.

I heard they are smart too, dropping nuts on the roads for us to unshell for them with are car tires.  Amazing. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:08:39 am by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: November 08, 2012, 11:14:05 am »

Being tamable and being able to be trained into hunting or war animals are completely different things. I don't recall the tags for those, unfortunately, other than it's probably [TRAINABLE]

Would be better subject for thread over in Modding forum, they'd know a lot more, and even give helpful recommendations :D

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: November 08, 2012, 01:55:52 pm »

Being tamable and being able to be trained into hunting or war animals are completely different things. I don't recall the tags for those, unfortunately, other than it's probably [TRAINABLE]
[PET] determines tame-ablility, with [PET_EXOTIC] allowing creatures to be tamed by historic figures in world generation. [TRAINABLE] allows for both war and hunting training, with [TRAINABLE_WAR] and [TRAINABLE_HUNTING] only enabling their specific type of training.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: November 08, 2012, 08:58:07 pm »

Q:  Should I be able to melt metal blocks?  It won't let me; I accidentally bought some from the human trader.  What do you use metal blocks for?  Improving value of workstations, seems to be it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: November 08, 2012, 09:15:59 pm »

Q:  Should I be able to melt metal blocks?  It won't let me; I accidentally bought some from the human trader.  What do you use metal blocks for?  Improving value of workstations, seems to be it.

Pretty much. Wells, Asherys, and Screw Pumps require a block to be built, but mostly they're used to improve the architectural value of walls/bridges/roads/workshops. This is because stone and wooden blocks are more valuable than just using stone or logs- regrettably, metal blocks have the same value as metal bars, so there's no real advantage to making them.

You should be able to melt them just like any other metal item, though. According to the wiki, melting down a block has only a 50% chance to yield a usable bar, so be aware of that.

darknessofthenight

• Bay Watcher
  • cannibalism is complicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: November 08, 2012, 09:33:09 pm »

it's not that it has a fifty percent chance it's that it generates half a bar, so every two blocks you melt you get a free bar
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:43:21 pm by darknessofthenight »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: November 08, 2012, 09:44:57 pm »

it's not that it has a fifty percent chance it's that it generates half a bar, so every two blocks you melt you get a free bar

Ah, I see, 50% is the efficiency. Thanks for the correction. I admit, I don't muck around with melting things that much :P

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: November 08, 2012, 09:49:36 pm »

I picked up (tetrahedrite block)x2 unable to put M on either one.
(native gold block) same, unable to flag it for melting from within the block subcategory of stockpile list in z.  Could wiki be wrong for raw material blocks or ones made by other civilizations?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: November 08, 2012, 09:55:10 pm »

You wouldn't be able to melt a native gold block because native gold is a stone, not a metal.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: November 08, 2012, 11:09:46 pm »

I picked up (tetrahedrite block)x2 unable to put M on either one.
(native gold block) same, unable to flag it for melting from within the block subcategory of stockpile list in z.  Could wiki be wrong for raw material blocks or ones made by other civilizations?

It's stone blocks, native gold is an ore, which counts as stone. Stone blocks aren't meltable, even when rationally they should be for reduced ore chances :D

Also, you can't set ores to be melted, you have to tell the smelter to work with the ore. Which don't works with ore blocks.

Metal block need 2 blocks to 1 bar, bar and blocks have same value, and 1 bar can be made into 1 block, so only real use for metal blocks are to separate account of building material from creating material.

Zaroua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: November 09, 2012, 06:57:46 pm »

What could cause my dwarves to refuse to eat in their assigned dining room? Each dining room is inside the dwarf's 3x3 bedroom, the dining room is assigned to the dwarf who owns the bedroom, there's a clear path to the bedroom/food stockpile, the furniture isn't forbidden, burrows encompass all of the food/rooms, dwarves aren't using backpacks and each table has a chair next to it.
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 422