Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881145 times)

d0mbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3060 on: September 10, 2012, 09:26:29 am »

My dwarfs are not milking creatures.

I have some milkable creatures in surface pens, i got buckets, i got a dwarf with the milking labor, but the dwarfs keep telling me there's 'no suitbale creature' to milk.

Is there a maximum distance from the milkable creature to the farmer's workshop in which animals can be milked?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: September 10, 2012, 09:35:50 am »

Have they milked them before? Creatures can only be milked and sheared every so often (don't know exactly how long it takes). Perhaps wait a month or two and try again.

d0mbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: September 10, 2012, 09:40:42 am »

No, first time i try to milk them .....

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: September 10, 2012, 09:46:23 am »

Ok, if it's the first time it should work. Distance should not be an issue. Is there an unobstructed path from the animals to the farmers workshop? Perhaps a wall or an forbidden door prevents the dwarfs from accessing the animals?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: September 10, 2012, 09:46:40 am »

Are you using burrows? And double-check if your milkable creatures are female.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: September 10, 2012, 10:33:43 am »

That makes sense - she has lost around 20 masterworks so far, luckily without throwing a tantrum. Actually she seems not to care at all.

Dwarves who have made a lot of masterworks will not care much if a single masterwork is lost/stolen.  A dwarf who has only made a single masterwork will be near devastated.

The math (according to the wiki) is that they will lose happiness of (-200 / X) where X is the number of masterworks still in existence on the map (or made in total? not sure).  So the more masterworks they make, the less they care about a single one going missing.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:List_of_Dwarven_Thoughts

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: September 10, 2012, 11:33:12 am »

That makes sense - she has lost around 20 masterworks so far, luckily without throwing a tantrum. Actually she seems not to care at all.

Dwarves who have made a lot of masterworks will not care much if a single masterwork is lost/stolen.  A dwarf who has only made a single masterwork will be near devastated.

The math (according to the wiki) is that they will lose happiness of (-200 / X) where X is the number of masterworks still in existence on the map (or made in total? not sure).  So the more masterworks they make, the less they care about a single one going missing.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:List_of_Dwarven_Thoughts

Yes, early game some of her works were stolen by Kea Men, and she was really upset, I had to build her a gold statue before she calmed down. Now after some 100 masterworks, well, yeah, who cares...

What a waste of craftmanship, shooting goblins with masterworks.
DF: where imagination beats animation

d0mbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: September 10, 2012, 01:45:34 pm »

Soooooooooo stupid of me. There's only young animals and male adults around.

Thanks for the help guys.

DF does well in making one feel retarded from time to time.......

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: September 13, 2012, 06:22:22 am »

I'm trying to tunnel through a few aquifier levels, and I've encountered a problem where I can't seem to drain one level's aquifer water into another level of an aquifer. Is this because the aquifer isn't homogeneous on the second level and my holes aren't connecting with the aquifer tiles below it?

I once got to the second level and strangely enough there was no water when I broke through, that was until I started digging around on that level and suddenly it appeared that the whole level was an aquifer all of a sudden.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: September 13, 2012, 06:28:16 am »

Yeah, sometimes aquifiers will be one level or multiple levels. Sometimes right on top of each-other, sometimes offset each-other.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: September 13, 2012, 06:48:40 am »

What do you mean by offset? Because for the second level there was no water until I dug around. I seems to me that not every tile on the second aquifer level produces water. As you can imagine, this makes it very hard to see how many levels of the aquifer there really is. The methods of breaching multiple levels of aquifers like the double slit method doesn't actually work since you never know if you're actually past the aquifer or not. This also make pretty much all mundane aquifer handling options impossible since most of them rely on you draining one aquifer into another. Since I don't know which tiles under the first layer are aquifer tiles, this is pretty much a crap shoot.

Is this actually the case? If so, what can I do?

Edit: I should note that I did not dig into any sort of vein. It was limestone all the way on the second aquifer level.

Edit 2:This is confirmed, dug another hole like the first one. At first it was fine digging out of the kaolite vein into the lime stone. The first set of lime stone was fine, but the ones behind them were aquifer tiles.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 06:57:36 am by Flare »

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: September 13, 2012, 07:19:56 am »

Aquifers also produce water in the level beneath them:
Aquifers are tiles which produce water in their neighboring tiles -- north, south, east, west, and below.
(Emphasis mine.)

Unless there's a particular ore I want thereabouts, I usually give it an extra 2-3 levels before digging sideways, just to be on the safe side.

maltapotamus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: September 13, 2012, 09:47:46 am »

hi all, im trying to drain some magma that got into the lower portion of my fortress, but for some reason i cant carve fortifications at the edge of the map... i use d-a but it does not seem to work at the edge of the map or any where for that matter.... any ideas?

BrisoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: September 13, 2012, 10:10:27 am »

Soooooooooo stupid of me. There's only young animals and male adults around.

Thanks for the help guys.

DF does well in making one feel retarded from time to time.......

He was trying to milk a bull?

Ew?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: September 13, 2012, 11:08:27 am »

hi all, im trying to drain some magma that got into the lower portion of my fortress, but for some reason i cant carve fortifications at the edge of the map... i use d-a but it does not seem to work at the edge of the map or any where for that matter.... any ideas?
Have you smoothed the stone first?
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 422