Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881139 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3045 on: September 07, 2012, 01:08:18 pm »

This usually happens when the world hits the memory limit for the application, causing a crash. If you are on windows you can give yourself a fair bit more room with the Large Address Aware version, though it comes with the drawback that the latest version they have is 34.04 IIRC.

Would it help to run the world generation on Linux, then move the save directory over to the machine you want to play on?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: September 07, 2012, 02:31:02 pm »

Can liquids penetrate diagonally?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: September 07, 2012, 02:33:46 pm »

Yes, but IIRC water pressure resets to that level when passing diagonally, and it's a bit slower than orthogonally.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: September 07, 2012, 02:43:50 pm »

You could try just reducing the TEMPERATURE: range in the world gen settings.  The default is 25-75, but I run at 25-60 to get a slightly cooler world.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: September 07, 2012, 03:23:45 pm »

As Monk12 mentioned, they can go diagonally on the same level, but can only go straight up and down when switching z-levels.

This usually happens when the world hits the memory limit for the application, causing a crash. If you are on windows you can give yourself a fair bit more room with the Large Address Aware version, though it comes with the drawback that the latest version they have is 34.04 IIRC.
Would it help to run the world generation on Linux, then move the save directory over to the machine you want to play on?
It might. I'm not familiar enough with linux to know whether or not it gives the game more memory by default. I do know that generating it on a mac is the equivalent of generating it on a large address aware windows, but am unsure about linux.

Edit: Fixed username mistake due to eye jumping a line.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 03:57:43 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: September 07, 2012, 03:48:31 pm »

As Aaarrgh mentioned, they can go diagonally on the same level, but can only go straight up and down when switching z-levels.

You mean Monk12?

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: September 07, 2012, 05:56:31 pm »

I can't tell you for sure, but I doubt it. My educated guess is that all Operating System versions are compiled from the same source code, so the problem should be the same for all operating systems. Now somebody hacked a fix for windows, but that does not help Mac or Linux users.

This might be totally wrong though, I am an oldschool programmer but I never really worked with the language/tools that Toady is using.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: September 07, 2012, 06:50:20 pm »

Any suggestions for how to make a world with more than usual glaciers, but still long-lived civilizations of all races? I want a living dwarf civilization, with many vampires, and a glacier site with not only dwarf, goblin, elf and human but also Necromancer Tower neighbours. I know I can be built on glaciers, saw it with my own eyes in this version (might have been a single square of tundra surrounded by glaciers, but meh. Close enough).

The way I understand it, necromancer towers are more frequently built where civilizations have battled with each other. But normal sites aren't exactly known for settling on glaciers, so I need them to settle on both sides of a glacier. For that, I need North-South aligned other biomes (mountain, tundra or taiga) penetrating into the polar glaciers. Sounds like a kind of X or Y variance to me, how could I do it?

Having just done (2) world gens today in vanilla 34.11, this produced a world with at least one tower directly on a glacier / tundra area.  It's a large region with 1050 years of history named Namaathira - The Everseeing Planes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: September 07, 2012, 07:05:55 pm »

I can't tell you for sure, but I doubt it. My educated guess is that all Operating System versions are compiled from the same source code, so the problem should be the same for all operating systems. Now somebody hacked a fix for windows, but that does not help Mac or Linux users.

This might be totally wrong though, I am an oldschool programmer but I never really worked with the language/tools that Toady is using.
The difference is that 32-bit mac programs by default are given access up to 4 GB RAM, where 32-bit windows programs require Large Address Aware to be able to use more then 2 GB. If Linux follows the same pattern as mac, then it will give 4 GB RAM and the crashes should go away. If it follows windows though, then they won't. Sadly I don't know enough about Linux to know which way it goes, but the mac version actually has LAA built into it by the virtue of being run on a mac computer.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

drivec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: September 09, 2012, 06:54:47 pm »

does leather armor suffer from wear like cloths

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: September 09, 2012, 07:35:52 pm »

No.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: September 10, 2012, 04:39:24 am »

No.

How come I find rotten leather armor in my stocks then?

Another question: I repeatedly get the announcement: "A masterwork by Vutok Lolokmamot has been lost". What is happening here? Vutok is a metalcrafter, and she is getting pretty p*ssed because this is the fourth or fifth time one of her works is lost. How do I prevent this, when I don't even know what is causing it?
DF: where imagination beats animation

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: September 10, 2012, 06:05:51 am »

No.

Another question: I repeatedly get the announcement: "A masterwork by Vutok Lolokmamot has been lost". What is happening here? Vutok is a metalcrafter, and she is getting pretty p*ssed because this is the fourth or fifth time one of her works is lost. How do I prevent this, when I don't even know what is causing it?
Masterful metal bolts are probably the cause. If a creature leaves the map with a masterful bolt stuck in it, it counts as a lost masterwork. It's already reported as a bug.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: September 10, 2012, 06:16:47 am »

That makes sense - she has lost around 20 masterworks so far, luckily without throwing a tantrum. Actually she seems not to care at all.

Can this explain my worn out leather armor as well? Bolts, I mean, penetrating the armor and spoiling it?
DF: where imagination beats animation

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: September 10, 2012, 08:26:48 am »

1) It was damaged by fire.
2) It spent some time in a stockpile which permits refuse.  Any armor will degrade in a stockpile-with-refuse-enabled, even adamantine or steel.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 422