Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881074 times)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3030 on: September 05, 2012, 01:34:44 pm »

Worldgen question: what is a Dark Fortress (as opposed to Dark Goblin Fortress)? Ordinary human site in an evil biome, or necromancer taking over a dark goblin fortress, eliminating the goblins from site name and life both?

Also, Human Tomb of (name) = ???
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 02:30:13 pm by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: September 05, 2012, 02:46:21 pm »

I believe a dark fortress would be a goblin fortress that has either been taken over by another race in a war or by a necromancer, depending on where you are seeing it.

Human tomb of (name) are pyramids of various shapes and sizes that have treasure and other junk inside of them. Also beware of mummies while visiting.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: September 05, 2012, 03:41:48 pm »

Well, I hope it's the former, I have real trouble finding a glacier with a necromancer neighbour. Especially with Dwarf Fortress ranfomly shutting down at around 1500 years of worldgen.

Damn, it was a dwarf-occupied dark fortress :(
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 04:17:48 pm by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

irontide

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking like an unconscious liaison in your moat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: September 05, 2012, 07:09:27 pm »

Thanks for the replies re: the meat (and bone) industry. I take it that I'm overdoing things by worrying about sources of bones? I gather that lots of people have more meat and bone than they know what to do with, but I'm nervous about hunters wandering about. What do people around here use for their meat industry? I was thinking pigs, since they don't graze and can be milked.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: September 06, 2012, 12:19:44 am »

If I'm setting up an actual meat industry (instead of just butchering the massive number of stray cats and dogs that I tend to accumulate), then I like to go for pigs as the base. Bears are better if you can get them though, and grizzlies can be trained for war and mass assigned to all of your dwarves, allowing for instant stopping of any snatcher attempts and can get your dwarves enough time to get away from ambushes.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: September 06, 2012, 05:21:40 pm »

Dwarf fortress often shuts down during worldgen on my computer (which is quite an exceptional quality piece of work, not just a XlaptopX). Did anyone else encounter this? Is there a solution that lets me reliably generate Large Regions with 2000+ years of history?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: September 06, 2012, 07:10:12 pm »

Maybe this thread can help you. The version is a bit outdated, so you'd probably have to apply the changes for your version using this tool. No promises, though.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: September 06, 2012, 07:11:06 pm »

This usually happens when the world hits the memory limit for the application, causing a crash. If you are on windows you can give yourself a fair bit more room with the Large Address Aware version, though it comes with the drawback that the latest version they have is 34.04 IIRC.

Other then that there isn't really much you can do other then maybe lowering the number of civilizations that exist (therefore reducing the amount of stuff that happens during world generation) in order to make the memory sizes smaller.

Edit: Ninja'd!

drivec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: September 06, 2012, 11:20:21 pm »

can a baron get jealous of himself if he is as my broker?

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: September 06, 2012, 11:24:15 pm »

QUESTION:

Why won't my dwarven children put on CLOTHES FOR ARMOKS SAKE

Instead, they just go batty and start exploding kitten teeth all over the god damned place.

Heathens!

I would love them if they weren't blinking.

ADDITIONAL QUERY:

Has anyone tried giving every single dwarf their own, personal dining room? 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 01:28:08 am by thiosk »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: September 07, 2012, 07:20:44 am »

Another worldgen question: is there any way besides increasing the number of secrets and the lenght of history, to have lots of necromancer towers? Do they have any natural predators during worldgen?

For example, will high titan and megabeast number lower necromancer populations?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 07:25:43 am by Tirion »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: September 07, 2012, 08:14:09 am »

In my experience, Necromancers rarely get killed in world gen. They usually just hang out in their towers, write books and train apprentices. Supposedly, they loot battlefields for corpses, but that's apparently undocumented in legends mode.

So, no, titans and megabeasts don't really have a significant influence on the necromancer populations.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: September 07, 2012, 08:45:02 am »

In my experience, Necromancers rarely get killed in world gen. They usually just hang out in their towers, write books and train apprentices. Supposedly, they loot battlefields for corpses, but that's apparently undocumented in legends mode.

So, no, titans and megabeasts don't really have a significant influence on the necromancer populations.

So, more titans/megabeasts = more corpses in worldgen = MORE towers?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: September 07, 2012, 08:58:29 am »

Well, not directly. Towers get built if a necromancer manages to collect more than 50 undead. Other necromancers can move to this tower, too. And I don't know if necros raise individual corpses who died fighting a megabeast - they definitely loot battlefields where two armies clashed (which obviously results in more corpses).

So, more megabeasts might result in more undead. But a better way is more civilizations = more wars = more undead.

If you want more towers, you need more secrets.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: September 07, 2012, 12:57:06 pm »

Any suggestions for how to make a world with more than usual glaciers, but still long-lived civilizations of all races? I want a living dwarf civilization, with many vampires, and a glacier site with not only dwarf, goblin, elf and human but also Necromancer Tower neighbours. I know I can be built on glaciers, saw it with my own eyes in this version (might have been a single square of tundra surrounded by glaciers, but meh. Close enough).

The way I understand it, necromancer towers are more frequently built where civilizations have battled with each other. But normal sites aren't exactly known for settling on glaciers, so I need them to settle on both sides of a glacier. For that, I need North-South aligned other biomes (mountain, tundra or taiga) penetrating into the polar glaciers. Sounds like a kind of X or Y variance to me, how could I do it?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 01:38:39 pm by Tirion »
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 422