Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880923 times)

yuy168

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2670 on: July 19, 2012, 08:06:07 am »

I need to build a Magma forging area, whats the easiest and most efficient way I can pup lava safely to my workshop?

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: July 19, 2012, 09:42:44 am »

You could build a pump stack with screw pumps or build a magma piston, the screw pumps would require a lot of power. You could also just build your forges near the magma.

Do minecart routes need to terminate next to the stockpile their supplying or taking from, or can I have my dwarves use minecarts for part of the trip, but not all of it? I was thinking of building a minecart shaft next to my central rampway to shorten hauling times, but building a path to any workshops specifically could get complicated and expensive.

yuy168

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: July 19, 2012, 10:18:27 am »

Okay, How can I safely build above the magma sea? should I channel out a certain battern for the building so my dorfs dont fall in and then build away?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: July 19, 2012, 12:17:48 pm »

Okay, How can I safely build above the magma sea? should I channel out a certain battern for the building so my dorfs dont fall in and then build away?
When you place a workshop, you should see two different colors of green; channel out the spots where the darker green impassable tiles would be to prevent things from crawling out of the magma and killing you.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: July 19, 2012, 12:18:45 pm »

I dig up/down staircases downwards, until I hit warm stones.  After clearing the game pauses, I backpedal upwards, digging rooms around that central 3x3 stairwell, until I no longer hit warm stones.  This is how I find the top of the magma sea. 

Once I find top, I channel around, into it, and then it *poofs* into existence and then the magma workshops become available.  I then safely build a floor right back over the channeled out spot, to prevent magma crabs from infecting my fortress.  By doing this, I prevent magma from flooding the lower levels.

I like to turn those lower levels adjacent the magma sea into a Jail and a Crematorium-Obsidian Farm.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: July 19, 2012, 01:00:33 pm »

When you place a workshop, you should see two different colors of green; channel out the spots where the darker green impassable tiles would be to prevent things from crawling out of the magma and killing you.

You just need one channeled tile per workshop.  Any of the dark green spots will do.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: July 19, 2012, 02:35:14 pm »

Any way to temporarily turn off mist display (or turn off the mist itself) for a fortress in progress, without taking the water out of the system or stopping it moving?  I want to get some clear screenshots of an artificial waterfall system, but I can't turn it off without spilling it, muddying the surroundings up and and having to refill it later.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: July 19, 2012, 11:09:01 pm »

@weenog, take a snapshot from within stonesense.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: July 19, 2012, 11:39:40 pm »

No stonesense.  Anything which doesn't require mods and extensions that may not get along with all setups and operating systems?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Inglonias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: July 20, 2012, 08:41:14 am »

* Finding any site with bituminous coal or lignite has proven to be very difficult, even with prospecting. It seems that since v.31.xx, these materials have been generated less often. Is there some setting I can use to make worlds that have more of these?

* How deep should I dig for a fortress? I notice that many people will dig very deep down, even starting out.
This is my favorite part of Bay 12!
Zack, my boy, practicality - or the lack of it - has never stopped a Dwarf Fortress player before. You want to find a way to play this game without your eyes? Someone here with the know-how will be able to help you and we'll be damned if we let a little thing like the practicality of a solution get in our way.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: July 20, 2012, 08:45:04 am »

Less volcanoes, more coal. I'm pretty sure coal shows up in sedimentary layers.

As deep as you want/feel comfortable with.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: July 20, 2012, 08:53:56 am »

I use standard world gen and set minerals to "frequent" I have heard people complain about using "everywhere" for mineral scarcity, that it doesn't work as you would hope.

Although this is not a universal rule, generally you want to look in low-lying areas, near rivers or streams for coal/sedimentary layers.

Also: you said you were using prospector, just wanted to make sure you knew you could use prospector BEFORE you embark.

I make bedrooms about 12-15 levels down and make the bulk of my fortress above that. You do what you want.

Inglonias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: July 20, 2012, 08:57:26 am »

I was aware that I can prospect beforehand, but thank you.
This is my favorite part of Bay 12!
Zack, my boy, practicality - or the lack of it - has never stopped a Dwarf Fortress player before. You want to find a way to play this game without your eyes? Someone here with the know-how will be able to help you and we'll be damned if we let a little thing like the practicality of a solution get in our way.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: July 20, 2012, 07:27:07 pm »

My axedorf's equipment is all waiting for him in the forge, and in the (m)ilitary (e)quip screen it shows him as having everything I've made on him, but if I (v)iew his (i)nventory he's only wearing a few pieces of my wonderful steel armor. Is this a bug, or am I setting up his uniform wrong?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: July 20, 2012, 08:04:18 pm »

My axedorf's equipment is all waiting for him in the forge, and in the (m)ilitary (e)quip screen it shows him as having everything I've made on him, but if I (v)iew his (i)nventory he's only wearing a few pieces of my wonderful steel armor. Is this a bug, or am I setting up his uniform wrong?
Try stationing him somewhere and see if he goes to pick up his stuff first.
The checkmarks on the equipment screen mean that they've claimed a piece of equipment, not that they're wearing it.
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 422