Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881513 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1950 on: May 28, 2012, 03:34:18 pm »

So, I haven't seen lignite or coal since v0.31. I've just learned to live with it and run for the Magma, but it's really starting to get irritating. It's too consistent for randomness, so it has to have something to do with how I gen my worlds or pick my sites. Any advice on how to find better sources of fuel?

No volcanos, no volcanism, lignite, bituminous coal, magnetite, flat embark, river, 100 rain, 100 drainage, 1000 erosion cycles.
In the 4x4 embark area, found: 2500+ surface trees,  44k native gold, 5k magnetite, 33k marble.  15k Dolomite, 8k coal & 4k lignite starting at layer 143, embark is layer 145...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And I should note, dfhack 'prospect hell' from the embark selection screen works MUCH better in 34.10.

Remove the seeds and you should get a wide variety of similar worlds to tweak if you want different features.  Basically, those things you want and volcanos don't mix.  Volcanoes are found in/make igneous extrusive layers.  Lignite, coal, and metal bearing ore are found in sedimentary layers, which are created from sediment, (which hypothetically comes as a result of rain, drainage & erosion).

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: May 28, 2012, 03:35:36 pm »

Awesome. That'd probably explain my issue. I've been using worldgens (and snagging from the cookbook thread) that had high volcanism ratings.

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #1952 on: May 28, 2012, 03:37:18 pm »

So, I haven't seen lignite or coal since v0.31. I've just learned to live with it and run for the Magma, but it's really starting to get irritating. It's too consistent for randomness, so it has to have something to do with how I gen my worlds or pick my sites. Any advice on how to find better sources of fuel?
Use nonstandard worldgen parameters.  The ones I use fairly routinely put volcanoes within proximity of coal, although with a volcano, of course, these are only needed for steelmaking and not as fuel.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: May 28, 2012, 03:39:39 pm »

Use nonstandard worldgen parameters.  The ones I use fairly routinely put volcanoes within proximity of coal, although with a volcano, of course, these are only needed for steelmaking and not as fuel.
I was just given to believe that my nonstandard worldgen parameters were the problem, with too much volcanism... what parameters do you use?

Edit: One last question, how does drainage affect finding sedimentary layers, if at all?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 03:47:08 pm by JarinArenos »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: May 28, 2012, 03:51:48 pm »

I was just given to believe that my nonstandard worldgen parameters were the problem, with too much volcanism... what parameters do you use?

It is possible to find adjacent biomes that will allow you to embark on both an igneous extrusive and sedimentary layer at the same time. It is easier to find if you don't do that. :)  Try removing the volcanism, and see if what I am proposing gives you want you want.  Then try adding volcanos and see how much more difficult it becomes.  (in my experience, considerably more difficult)

What you'll need to do is randomize the placement of biomes considerably in order to get two adjacent.  Again, from what I've seen, this leads to a lot more searching rather than just getting exactly what you want without a volcano.

Alternately, if you don't care about using dfhack, you can reveal the magma map feature, create a magma cistern, and have your magma for magma powered workshops without a volcano.  That is super easy, and I'd be happy to describe it step by step if you want to go that route.  This allows you to skip volcanism and volcanos entirely, in all future worlds and embarks, if that's your only use for them.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: May 28, 2012, 03:52:59 pm »

Volcanos are a source of great !FUN! but I can live without them. Gonna go ahead and try a worldgen with 0 volcanism and see how it goes.

Edit: What in the bloody hell did you do to that worldgen to make it run history to 200 years in less than a second? I've never seen it take less than five minutes!

Edit2: No plants or seeds available at embark... something borked here.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 04:00:51 pm by JarinArenos »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: May 28, 2012, 04:06:35 pm »

Volcanos are a source of great !FUN! but I can live without them. Gonna go ahead and try a worldgen with 0 volcanism and see how it goes.

Edit: What in the bloody hell did you do to that worldgen to make it run history to 200 years in less than a second? I've never seen it take less than five minutes!
Hehehhe, yeah, I turned off quite a lot of superfluous things (imho) as this was meant to find specific features underground, I didn't want to wait around just to prospect different worlds & embarks.  If you look through the worldgen parameters in game, you'll see there's no megabeasts, no titans, no savagery, only 1 cavern layer, very little variation in elevation, considerably smaller variation in temperature, no variances on any surface features, no good/evil, no necromancers, no vampires, no lycanthropy, no evil rain, and so on.  But it still has erosion, and goblins, elves, and animals, and such. 
It would play fine, but if you're looking for particular features, you'll want to adjust things to get them.  The world seed should produce the same belowground, regardless.

EDIT:  It works fine with "Play Now!".  If you want to customize an embark profile, or use an embark profile you've used with a different world, you may be missing certain things.  But there's plenty of plants at the embark level, break out that Plant Gathering! :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 04:09:26 pm by vjek »

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: May 28, 2012, 04:19:54 pm »

Yeah, I think that's a bit game breaking... but useful, at least. Only I have no idea what values to add back in to the worldgen to get the interesting things back (seriously, no megabeasts? Where's the fun in that? :P). Great gen to use for megaprojects though...

saintjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: May 28, 2012, 04:37:35 pm »

How do I force one of my dwarves to go to the doctor? I have a dude who lost his ear in a battle, and got it sewed up. Now, he just spams error message: "Urist canceled store own item: Too injured." Is there any way to get him to stop that spam?

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: May 28, 2012, 04:53:01 pm »

How do I force one of my dwarves to go to the doctor? I have a dude who lost his ear in a battle, and got it sewed up. Now, he just spams error message: "Urist canceled store own item: Too injured." Is there any way to get him to stop that spam?

Does his health screen say that he needs more treatment?
You could try forbidding whatever he is trying to store - use the 'j'obs screen to find out what and where it is.
(a>b) ? false : true

saintjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: May 28, 2012, 04:56:19 pm »

Thank you for that suggestion. I went into the Health screen, and lo and behold, his ability to grasp has been lost. I didn't notice from the details screen, because he just has scars from old wounds on his upper arms. Apparently, those old wounds included damage to sensory and motor nerves. I think that a merciful accident is in order here.

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #1961 on: May 28, 2012, 05:21:09 pm »

Edit: One last question, how does drainage affect finding sedimentary layers, if at all?
Drainage very very very much impacts the formation of sedimentary layers.

The worldgen parameters I've been using lately are these:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: May 28, 2012, 05:23:25 pm »

Thank you for that suggestion. I went into the Health screen, and lo and behold, his ability to grasp has been lost. I didn't notice from the details screen, because he just has scars from old wounds on his upper arms. Apparently, those old wounds included damage to sensory and motor nerves. I think that a merciful accident is in order here.

If he is utterly unable to grasp anything, draft him in a wrestling squad for fun. Imagine him storming at the enemy failing his dead arms around. Or make him the hammerer/CotG - not quite sure if it would severely bug the free killing justice system, but it may result in mild beatings (unless he starts to kick their brains in).
(a>b) ? false : true

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: May 28, 2012, 05:57:17 pm »

Drainage very very very much impacts the formation of sedimentary layers.
Nifty. ... how?

saintjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: May 28, 2012, 05:59:05 pm »

That would be funny, but I'm at the point where I'm trying to conserve FPS, and I can't imagine that the constant spam of trying to put his stuff away is good for that. I think what he's trying to put away are slightly worn clothes, and he can't take them off. So eventually, his clothes are going to rot away, and I'll have a legendary, tantruming wrestler on my hands.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 422