Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882125 times)

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1170 on: April 08, 2012, 12:46:14 am »

I have a vampire running loose. I have a special room made to keep him out of trouble. How do I get him to go in there?

1) Create a burrow, assign him to it, and wait?  Could be a while, I guess... normally I'd say drop some booze there and wait until he gets thirsty, but that doesn't apply to vamps.

2) Build a lever there (don't need to connect it to anything), (P)rofile it so only he can pull it, then ask for it to be pulled.

If you know who it is the lever pulling works, or recruiting into military and stationing the vamp. Then lock the door.
Both Genius! Thanks

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: April 08, 2012, 09:28:03 am »

I had a ranger get stabbed by a goblin thief.  I didn't yet have a chief medical dwarf, or anybody with any medical knowledge whatsoever, so I just grabbed one of my many farmers and enabled all medical jobs and designated him as chief.  He diagnosed the patient, sutured his arm, but now it says the patient requires immobilization and has a broken arm, but my chief medical dwarf doesn't do anything for him.  I have all available medical supplies in my hospital except for a traction bench, which I'm currently working on.  What am I doing wrong?

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: April 08, 2012, 09:32:31 am »

I have two nooby questions regarding wells and water sources.

The site of my current fortress has a brook running through it, as well as a few underground pools.  However, the area is pretty cold and every water source that I can see completely freezes over during the winter.

From my understanding, if a water source freezes, then the well gets destroyed.  Does this mean it is impossible to build a well at this particular fortress without having to rebuild it every spring?

Also, are the water sources I am able to see the only ones that exist?  Or will I discover more water sources if I keep digging?

Also, somewhat related, I scrolled down to the very bottom z-level and did not notice any pocket of magma or natural cavern.  Does this mean that my particular site contains no magma or caverns (I happen to be at the peak of a tall mountain)?  Or, are these places hidden until I dig into them?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: April 08, 2012, 09:40:17 am »

If you build an underground reservoir, it won't freeze during winter.
There is another water source if you keep digging down.

Underground features are hidden until you find them. The magma sea at the bottom is guaranteed at every map, and if you didn't deliberately gen a world without caverns, you will find those, too. Happy digging!
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

BenTGaidin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: April 08, 2012, 09:48:34 am »

From my understanding, if a water source freezes, then the well gets destroyed.  Does this mean it is impossible to build a well at this particular fortress without having to rebuild it every spring?

It only destroys the well if it is built directly on top of the freezing water; if you build a little platform to raise the well a Z-level above the water, it'll survive the freezing. (Of course, it'll still be inoperational while the water is frozen below it, but you won't have to reconstruct it each spring.)

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: April 08, 2012, 09:55:52 am »

Cool!  Good to know.  Now I have no more excuses to hold off on building a well.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: April 08, 2012, 10:43:14 am »

I had a ranger get stabbed by a goblin thief.  I didn't yet have a chief medical dwarf, or anybody with any medical knowledge whatsoever, so I just grabbed one of my many farmers and enabled all medical jobs and designated him as chief.  He diagnosed the patient, sutured his arm, but now it says the patient requires immobilization and has a broken arm, but my chief medical dwarf doesn't do anything for him.  I have all available medical supplies in my hospital except for a traction bench, which I'm currently working on.  What am I doing wrong?

Immobilization requires a traction bench.  Just keep doing what your doing.

Darthlawsuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: April 08, 2012, 12:27:58 pm »

How many tiles across does a bridge have to be before it will act like a wall? I made mine a width of 3 and when I pull it up it will allow anyone through.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: April 08, 2012, 01:06:34 pm »

How many tiles across does a bridge have to be before it will act like a wall? I made mine a width of 3 and when I pull it up it will allow anyone through.

I think you have your bridge set to retract, not raise. When you're building it, press w, a, d or x to make it raise in a certain direction. A thickness of 1 is enough to make that act like a wall, but I always make them at least two because it's hard to tell if it's raised it it's one tile thick.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: April 08, 2012, 01:27:36 pm »

Military Stripperdorfs

Why is it that when I cancel my squad's stationing order, one of the two drops all of his equipment and then runs away? He came back a few seconds later to pick the stuff up, but he apparently dumped his meal on the ground! And I'm not even counting all the random hoods and single gloves I find around the place.

The military uniform is set to be uniformed while inactive. Why do they insist on dumping their stuff?
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1180 on: April 08, 2012, 01:35:25 pm »

Why is it that when I cancel my squad's stationing order, one of the two drops all of his equipment and then runs away? He came back a few seconds later to pick the stuff up, but he apparently dumped his meal on the ground! And I'm not even counting all the random hoods and single gloves I find around the place.

Check if you have the Miner, Woodcutter, or Hunter labor enabled on any of them.  Those jobs have their own hidden uniform settings which conflict with the military uniform.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: April 08, 2012, 02:25:27 pm »

So what you're saying is that making my axedorfs double as woodcutters doesn't magically fix the problem... Oh well. I bought extra axes from the caravan anyway.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: April 08, 2012, 02:26:11 pm »

Woodcutters simply can't wear uniforms while doing their jobs in the current version.  Neither can miners or hunters.  It's a bug.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: April 08, 2012, 08:15:57 pm »

Does using a skill increase attributes even when Legendary+5? I want to cross-train my soldier in pump-operating to gain attributes. If attribute gains don't stop at legendary+5, then it makes sense to leave pump operating on for a long time. Otherwise it is a waste of time when he maxes out. I'm asking about 31.25, but I don't think the code for attribute gains was touched since then.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: April 09, 2012, 12:51:36 am »

Will my patroling marksdwarfs with ambush skills, walk in stealth?  I have ambush disabled so as to avoid a uniform conflict, but they still have it, some upwards to ambush lv10.  So since they HAVE it, will they use stealth on walks between points?  I tried testing this, but I think the goblins the patrol went past, were bugged.  They didn't shoot at the dwarf on patrol.  This makes me think it does work.  But I cannot be certain.  What do you think?
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 422