Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Making succession games fun  (Read 2603 times)

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making succession games fun
« on: February 17, 2012, 08:07:19 pm »

If you have a bunch of gamers relatively experienced with DF how do you make succession games fun? Once played a games where the rules were that housing etc had to be above ground and every year these insane dwarfs had to creatively savrifice a dwarf to the dark gods. Was a pretty fun game - a straight game would have been a bit too easy, I suspect.

Does anyone else use interesting rules or have interesting ideas for frameworks to build succession games on?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Making succession games fun
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 09:36:56 pm »

Use mods or something

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 09:38:45 pm »

getting ready to set one up, once a critter is finished.

There's gonna be a few wierd things that everyone will be filled in on when the threads is started.

Ideas for you: Paterrning thing as you dig to make a message, dont let labels be applied to levers, encourage insane building programs

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:45:33 pm »

No notes, of course.  Meta-rules are fun as well.  Skyscrapes had a rule of "add one Z level per year/turn".  There's plenty of room for creative abuse.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 09:50:08 pm »

One good rule was "screw the next person over"... You had to make the next person as "doomed" as you possibly could - without losing the fortress.

Another rule for an insane time was, "no traps, no military." That was fun. But I told you about that already.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 09:57:57 pm »

Start a DFVD succession, it makes DF2010 feel like the Sims.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 09:59:45 pm »

Judging from a few of the more famous succession games, you could try to make it either mind-numbingly difficult to survive a la Syrupleaf, or you could set up some strange building goals, like one fort whose name escapes me (they tried to build an underwater glass fortress). Syrupleaf also made a modded creature that would besiege them regularly, which added a bit to the suspense.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 10:01:26 pm »

You're always welcome to join the game I'm getting ready. Just a few things being ironed out and testing with a critter.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 10:26:25 pm »

For some players, it's fun as it is - they enjoy seeing how long they can make it last, and how crazily large they can make the fortress (while trying to stay on death's edge the whole time).
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 10:27:24 pm »

For some players, it's fun as it is - they enjoy seeing how long they can make it last, and how crazily large they can make the fortress (while trying to stay on death's edge the whole time).

Hoo boy are we gonna be doing that soon.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 10:43:22 pm »

hmm, i have been thinking of starting a succesion game at some point, probably with masterwork and some insane goal in mind.

as for making it fun for DFvets. try embarking in a evil area with ressurecting corpses, and instating a no using magma to dispose of corpses rule.

the players that keep that going are truly dwarfy.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 10:50:57 pm »

Cool ideas. With word out that if you fill a vamp with holes and then turn his trapped pit into a well (adding water, obviously) you can turn your whole fortress vamp.... I am tempted to launch a necropolis game =)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 10:54:10 pm »

100% vampire population results in a crumble to the end.  You need living... harvestables.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 10:59:56 pm »

100% vampire population results in a crumble to the end.  You need living... harvestables.

Doesn't mean they have to be able to get at them.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 11:03:07 pm »

I propose having one living 'normal' dwarf being a super manager. as in book keeper, manager, and whatever other management positions take nothing but an office.
the rest of your fort can be vampirized and booze and food dumped to the normal one.

actually, i can see some really cool story's evolving from such situations.
Pages: [1] 2