Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World's End (Complete Overhaul Mod; Planning)  (Read 2707 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
World's End (Complete Overhaul Mod; Planning)
« on: February 17, 2012, 06:10:06 pm »

So I've got an idea I've been mucking over for several months.

The world is old.  The world is very old.  The world is so old that titans and elves have long since died of age.  The world is very old.  All civilizations have crumbled, the lignite bins have gone cold, the artifacts have taken damage...  There is nothing left.  The world is nothing more but a small, cold ball of slade, all the ore has been exploited long ago and eons of atom smashing and warfare have even stripped all the raw stone from the world.  To strike microcline would be a miracle!  The miner is a profession of another age.  This is an age where a farmer's skill is enough to buy a city, and a solid axe is the only thing that keeps the dwarven race alive.

There is nothing left, and yet you're still a drunken midget with the urge to conquer, even if you're conquering nothing.  You were in an old mountainhome.  The doors were locked and the farmers were running, hundreds of thousands of years have passed while your small society sat drinking from recycled barrels and the same bit of farmland that seemed to constantly produce crops.  But eventually, even the stone decayed, and you find yourself facing a barren world.  The parent civ is long dead, you can expect no dwarven traders or migrants.  Yet... things are active.  Things have changed.  Golems, needing neither food nor water, are the dominant life form, and the cattle that remain have developed hides hard as stone and poisonous meat.

A million years of evolution has hardened and warped every creature and plant to survive in this harsh environment.  Except the dwarves were locked away, overlooked by nature.  A little challenge never stopped a dwarf though, right?  You remember your endless farms, your quantum stockpiles, perpetual engines.  Industry must thrive once more!  Strike... well, not much of it remains, but Strike the Earth!

(Another post coming imediately, wait for the forum anti-spam delay.)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World's End (Complete Overhaul Mod; Planning)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 06:12:13 pm »

Currently the issue is content.

Idea is to strip out everything and rebuild from scratch.  Dwarves will be left unaltered, but every other creature, plant, and material will be altered.  Excessive use of corpses as resource intake will be encouraged and extreme scarcity is the name of the game.  Every bit of resource will be important and cared for.

First, wood will be extremely valuable.  It will be a rare resource, flammable and prone to rot, it will be a luxury item that not many have seen, much less own.  Beds, therefor, will be a high luxury, and those 3 logs from the starting wagon will be all-important.  Sadly the wagon can't be modded...  The source of trees will mainly be an "Ent" type of monster that gives a log or two when butchered, and from farming, where a very long-term crop will produce usable logs of a certain type.  That will need tweaking to make sure it's properly valuable.

Second, food will be scarce.  Farms will probably take 2-3 seasons for a crop to be harvested, and seeds will be less than plentiful.  Meat will be a large source of food, with most animals being slightly toxic, utilizing the new ingested syndromes to cause pain, blindness, vomit, etc.  Temporary illness... mainly.  All animals will be slow to mature, very hardened, and produce a lot of low quality meat, along with some other non-organic items.

Third, all other resources will be scarce, but huntable.  Stone Bison will produce usable boulders when butchered, copper mechanics will be robots which drop mechanisms and copper bars when butchered.  Fuel will be more plentiful, with most items being burnable for coke and letting you do things like converting leather into kindling, so smithing should be easy once you manage to actually get some metal.  Ore Crabs are planned, rare, expensive creatures that can be sheared like sheep to produce ore and gems, and can be butchered for immediate resources.

Fourth, everything is a bit tougher.  Or a lot.  Meat is toxic, the local plants transform you just a little when eaten, and any creatures left alive have been weaponized by evolution.  Hides hard as stone, metal horns, jaws that can crush armor, and massive size.

So, with that in mind, I'm harvesting ideas.  What sort of creatures would be fitting, what would they be like, and where would any resources come from?  There will be no mining, the only soil type will be named "Slade" and be undigable, but this will allow farms to be built atop the fake-slade.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:26:49 pm by Girlinhat »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 06:32:28 pm »

A giant version of those armour plated snails discovered a little while back might work.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 06:37:24 pm »

Better pictured elsewhere.  Yes, that's exactly the sort of creature I'm looking for.  Ideally, these would sort of 'lick' the ground, eating dust and using any iron dust to build a shell, so a snail would make perfect sense.  These could be primarily passive creatures, slow and ageless, but mainly useless because they have a shell of solid steel that you'd need to crack open!  (Cue Hammerdwarves.)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 03:38:31 am »

Here's the raws currently used by that 'fungal cow' creature.

Spoiler: Creature Raws (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Materials (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tissues (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: B_Detail_Plans (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Body Parts (click to show/hide)

The body parts aren't used adn don't ahve materials or tissues appropriated for them yet.

Hope it's all still helpful.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 01:51:16 pm »

I suggest bezoars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bezoar) instead of gems.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 05:28:11 pm »

and drops a very nice iron shield?
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 05:49:04 pm »

DF on Hardcore Mode, I like the concept. I may be back with suggestions.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 06:24:52 pm »

I like this idea. I guess that, when genning a world with this mod, it would be best to simply disable caverns, magma sea and HFS, since they would be impossible to reach anyway.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 06:28:31 pm »

I like this idea. I guess that, when genning a world with this mod, it would be best to simply disable caverns, magma sea and HFS, since they would be impossible to reach anyway.
Or maybe some sort of "Cracked Slade" that can be mined out but instantly turns to dust (gas) that act as veins through the rough "Slade" surface? thus allowing some sort of path to the under depths

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 12:55:03 am »

I wasn't planning to have any under-area, but that is a tantalizing idea.  I've always been fascinated with the eerie pits and what lies at the bottoms...  Regardless, I'm right now more concerned with the 'traditional' critters, which should be about "Boatmurdered Elephant" deadly at the most docile.

"Hard Mode" is right, though I think Fortress Defense does a better job of hard mod, this will be a tad different along the same lines.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 01:03:24 am »

Donno if you will like this, It's from my Mod they never show in the caves, and the spitter castes is broken (old 31.25 beast MATERIAL_BREATH_ATTACK had to remove it, only Maggots spit and they spit acid, so maybe SPLATTER_LIQUID?) I post this cause you are going for mutant creatures right? Well butcher away at it if you like. (Also if you like I can post the Body and BDPs too)
Spoiler: Mutant Ant Men (click to show/hide)

EDIT:
Also maggot acid can kill O.O might need some nerfing
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 01:05:00 am by Hugo_The_Dwarf »