Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30

Author Topic: You are rebuilding civilization ( Suggestion game) Suggestions Welcome.  (Read 66842 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: You are rebuilding civilization ( Suggestion game) Suggestions Welcome.
« Reply #420 on: June 24, 2012, 09:24:30 am »

Quick question about the combat - how did that actually work out; 10 people with 6 attack 4 defense vs 2 creatures of 2 attack 4 defense, and we loose 2 ...

(and thats assuming that they were not gathering water in sight of the plane, which was at the edge of the water with 10 guys with rifles ...)

on opposing die rolls we should take 1 damage and deliver 40 each round (on average) against creatures with 10 life (unless i don't understand the combat system)
Bad rolls, should have been able to take them. And no they were not in sight of the people working on the plane, which was some distance away from the water.

Also humans have 1 hp, they are quite squishy.

Also, drill is just one roll

Duncan_McShal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 25, 2012, 07:14:04 pm »

So does anyone have a suggestion on what we should do next?

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 25, 2012, 07:34:19 pm »

How would bayonets and lugs to attach then to the rifles help us in combat against such beasts? I'm thinking about a ~30cm straight, double sided blade with a stabbing tip. I also suggest that the command to fix bayonets be "Straight Silver".
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 25, 2012, 08:28:45 pm »

How would bayonets and lugs to attach then to the rifles help us in combat against such beasts? I'm thinking about a ~30cm straight, double sided blade with a stabbing tip. I also suggest that the command to fix bayonets be "Straight Silver".
I don't suggest Silver, it's a very soft metal. And why on Earth would you waste such a precious metal in combat where it can get damaged or even destroyed?

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 25, 2012, 08:31:00 pm »

I don't suggest Silver, it's a very soft metal. And why on Earth would you waste such a precious metal in combat where it can get damaged or even destroyed?
"Straight Silver" is the command word to put the bayonets on weapons, not the material.

UristMcWanderer

• Bay Watcher
  • *strangle gargle choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 25, 2012, 08:32:56 pm »

"Straight Silver" is the command word to put the bayonets on weapons, not the material.
Oh, my bad... Never mind me, I'll be leaving now

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 26, 2012, 12:34:52 pm »

How about we make the bayonets actual knifes (with a handle as well as a barrel mount) like modern armies use.  This would make them much more versatile.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 26, 2012, 01:31:54 pm »

How about we make the bayonets actual knifes (with a handle as well as a barrel mount) like modern armies use.  This would make them much more versatile.
That was what I was going for. Also, +1 cookie for reference in my last post
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 27, 2012, 04:38:39 am »

I don't understand why do we need motors? For what tasks? I doubt that heavy machinery is that needed, besides we don't have much fuel\power for that. Low tech solutions are better for such a small setllement

Also, I dislike that hunting trip, while I proposed it before, now we have to few soldiers to risk them for some resources. Because soldeirs aren't renewable resource and their defense is too low for any real combat (Yes, I am advocating body armors yet again)
You generally used the motors for trade. They are quite valuable.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 27, 2012, 04:15:22 pm »

If we have rifle bayonets we will have effective melee capability while maintaining ranged fire. Now, we just need some lasguns...

andy_t_roo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 01, 2012, 03:53:18 am »

Sorry, i missed an update, and this forum game fell out of my email list;

i've edited the previous work-list to take into account making bayonets and carbon fiber armor plates (nano fab carbon fiber armor; probably enough for 1 or 2 solders per week, perhaps more of we feed the nanites with more wood, i'll make more armor nanites soon as i agree that we need some armor.

chain mail armor probably isn't the way to go, as it would be too labor intensive to make - we can basically shape any single shaped lump of metal with the forge and associated machinery, or we can make a small amount of absolutely anything via the nano-fab.

We can make ammo for coil guns and normal rifles easly enough now - 1 unit of metal + a few g of basic mysterious powder (once we've researched better explosive nanoids, i'll specialize it for powder - something which we can control like a solid fuel booster would create a really nasty rifle shell/micro-missile (mid course corrections, power on hand, mini-rocket, heat seeking, self guided ... yeah, lots o stuff in a little while :)

also, despite what you see in the movies, lasers are not that good as weapons ..."In order to be able to start cutting from somewhere else than the edge, a pierce is done before every cut. Piercing usually involves a high-power pulsed laser beam which slowly makes a hole in the material, taking around 5–15 seconds for 1⁄2-inch-thick (13 mm) stainless steel, for example." (from the wiki page on industrial laser cutting; i don't think we could do any better with a hand-held device with our current tech, and this requires short range.

"Aside from the difficulty of acquiring and tracking a different kind of target, ground targets such as armored vehicles and possibly even aircraft are not fragile enough to be damaged by a megawatt-class laser." (from the article on the airborne laser - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_YAL-1 ) (and it can only carry enough lasing fuel for 6 to 20 shots)

railguns, coil guns and particle beams are all quite good weapons which require quite specific shielding to stop.

edit: "A Q-switched Nd:YAG laser normally has pulse duration in the order of nanoseconds, peak power on the order of ten to hundreds of MW/cm2, and a material removal rate of a few micrometres per pulse." (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_drilling ) ; i'm using these comparisons because i think that a hand held device with our tech is equal to industrial devices.
(we don't have the energy supply for anything higher powered, and coil or rail guns scale quite nicely all the way to international weapons, especially when guided)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 04:06:27 am by andy_t_roo »
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Hell if I know.  Pretty humourous suggestion, but utterly useless in the case of roleplaying, if indeed the whole game world was one whole huge ass field of fruit.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: You are rebuilding civilization ( Suggestion game)
« Reply #431 on: July 03, 2012, 12:36:58 pm »

First week of July
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Work on modifying the nanites goes slowly, and no real progress is made.The Current prototypes suffer from several flaws, including activating at random and not working at all Some nanites are made to construct carbon nanofiber armor. The nanites ain't capable to produce ready to use armor though. Intstead they produce blankets of armor similiar to the thing you found at the store room. The simple electronics nanites are activated and fed some silicon. It seems the production goes well, untill the system automatically shuts down. There seems to be a dangerous build-up of Oxygen, while simply airing the system solves to problem, having to shut down and restart the system constantly severly limits production speed. Having the nanites upgrade normal circuits into complex one is more of a problem, as the complex circuits are seriously different. They would be able to break them down and turn the broken down elements in the complex circuits.

The explosives and solar pannels nanites work. They manage to get both normal solar pannels, and the amorphous sollar pannel Jelly. The normal pannels are seriously more rendable though.

The forge runs constantly, and large amounts of metal and copper are melted. Lot's of the wheelengines are produced too, as all production facilities work at their max capacities. The bayonets are made. They lack the cutting power of the swords, but are easily useable, allowing one to stab the enemy before it can attack them. This will be needed, as most likely they will only have one change at that range.

The chemical analysis is succesfull. Both the Silicium and Titanium are revealed to be metal oxides, while the iron ore doesn't contain much trace materials. Some Neodymium, but nothing of real interest.

Setting up the drill proves problematic. While most of it appears intact, the electronics are not functioning. No wonder, considering the thing has laid in mud and water for quite some time. Meanwhile, nothing knew is found searching through the chematics, as most scientists have enough to do.

The hunting party, miracously, finds no wild. Nothing, at all in fact. Seems like the forests are as dead as the desert. Strange

Wind blows rather hard, and from the South dust clouds can be seen rising. It doesn't look like a Sandstorm however, and is still a long way of.

Traders: (1 weeks till departement)
15 soldiers(  10 armed)
5 engineers
6 drivers
4 civilians
Sophia: Merchant leader

James:  2 lanterns 0/20,  1 rifle
1 driver
1 buggy 6/20

Date: 27 A.A
Bunker/Fort:Spes: South America
Spoiler:  Heroes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ores (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Raw materials (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Intermetaire products (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tools and weapons (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Food (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vehicles (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: People and livestock (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Buildings (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Surroundings (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Recipes (click to show/hide)
Quote from:  Stats(Combat system copied from adwarf with permission
-Normal people: 0 attack, 0 defense
-Soldiers: 2 Attack, 4 defense
-Gate: 1 Attack 4 Defense
-Fence: 4 attack 6 defense
-Antivehicle thingies: 2 Attack 0 defense
-Earthworks: 1 attack, 4 defense
-Watchtower: No Attack: 8 defense
- A-T Cannon: 8 Attack No  defense( Damage spread)
-Armored Vehicle: 0 attack 6 Defense
-Mutant ape: 1 Attack, 1 defense 1 hp
-Wild Dogs: 4 Attack, -4 defense 3hp
-Giant crocodile: 2 attack, 4 defense 10hp
-Leukrokottas: 6 Attack 8 Defense 15 hp

Spoiler: Reactor damage report (click to show/hide)

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #432 on: July 03, 2012, 02:21:46 pm »

Perhaps we should think about making more nanofactories in the future? Also an electronic prop light drone to fly around and provide aerial recon? Also we should begin to think about constructing macro-robotics as these will be cheaper to make and program. Maybe in the future advance servos to obtain powered prosthetics? Maybe powered suits that aid civilians and military groups? How about a search for fissionables to make long lasting but small batteries? Solar panels to boost electricity for many factories? Set up a university to teach what little culture we know and to train more people? How about we make a sparkling metropolis in the middle of the Amazon using algae derived bio-fuels, nano-medicine, education, protection, and many more things to attract the survivors to our camp.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:54:59 pm by SoHowAreYou »
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 03, 2012, 02:58:42 pm »

If we can see a dust cloud, that means that it's origin (I'm assuming that it's a group of vehicles) is not too far away. They will likely stop at night to avoid the Leukrokottas, but I believe that they will arrive within a week's time. We should mount one of the AT cannons in a southern tower in preparation.

andy_t_roo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 04, 2012, 01:31:58 am »

All soldiers not needed for rifle production should spend all week getting as much water as possible (we are short on water, because of a couple of interrupted weeks)

atm we only have 2 AT weapons; 1 is in the tower covering the gates, the other i was going to mount in a wheelbarrow for mobile attacks; we wouldn't want 2 bazooka type shots to completely remove our AT defense power.

We should ask Sophia what she thinks of the dust cloud, also ask Sophia if ethanol is a good fuel for her cars, and ask if the merchants would be interested in staying until whatever that is has passed.

NanoFactory:
we don't have the power to run everything ... not even close ...
turn off: Mysterious powder, dissasembly, and electronics nanites.
leave on: graphine, armor producing nanites.

5 scientists should produce a set of boxes to store unused nanites in (probably using glass, as that is air/water/acid/etc.. proof).
1 of the mysterious powder nanites should be converted to explosive nanoids. (if nanites can't be converted, create them instead, unless the glass boxes above are not completed

The scientists should : aim to create the Repair Nanoid Nanites, use the computer to analyze what went wrong last time, and compare the actions of the simulated Nanites to the predicted nanites (they were designed on the computer, so spotting the difference should be relatively easy)

Design high power bullets; the bullet head has pattern explosive paste which detonates from the outside in, creating a very focused high temperature plasma burn as it impacts, a few micro-seconds later the body of the bullet following then hits this  heated and softer, or scorched spot in the armor of the target. If there's some type of active armor, this type of bullet would also trigger it a little early

5 scientists should also look into how to form the nanofiber cloth/plates into armor; specifically how to form them into a set of armor for 1 person. I imagine that these plates are generic and flexable atm, but to turn them into armor they have to be shaped for a specific person. (perhaps a structural metal matrix, perhaps the nano-fab can be convinced to make a solid ceramic instead of a cloth-like fiber, or have i mis-read this?)

5 scientists should divert 1 unit of forge production to make a hand-held gas-tank, and this should be attached to the factory slot with the electronics producing nanites, to be a store for the oxygen (the cutout should only kick in when the back-pressure from the mostly full tank means it can't be filled further), which would be more than a week, given that SiO2 is 1/3 oxygen by weight, and a 50cm x 10cm tank (ie, of the micro size we are making) can hold 200g of oxygen.

(the 200g is from http://www.megamedical.com.au/medical-gases Class C, and gas tanks are typically safety tested to 166% of normal pressure, so i imagine that our tanks could be pressurized to that level, but not have much of a safety margin left. http://www.portablenebs.com/oxygenproducts.htm lists a better tank weight vs storage capacity, but appears to be aluminium tanks at a lower pressure)

5 engineers should fix the drill using whatever materials are needed; once it is fixed, 1 week is all we need to drill a water bore (a drill is capable of running at 100m/ hr while doing simple work; even complex core extraction work is 10 m/hr (heavy/light machinery determines the maximum depth, and not drill penetration rate; current tech light drill rigs are capable of drilling to 400m, medium weight drill rigs (like what i linked) are likely to be able to reach 800m, and a heavy drill rig can reach 1500m (google "UDR 650" and "UDR 1200" for medium weight and heavy rigs used in coal exploration ; oil/gas exploration rigs are another step or 2 above these)

a "good day" doing simple drill work would be 400m, an industry standard "average day" (which many people would be unhappy with) is about 150 m/day, and complex 8" core extraction runs at about 20 m/day.

The forge should spend all but 3 capacity making 3 or 4 coil guns ; we have soldiers without guns, and a fence to hold off hand-to-hand attacks ...
2 capacity should be spent on 2 iron ammo batches compatible with the coil guns, and the last is the tiny gas bottle for the scientists, mentioned above.

(ps, some of my work involves budgets for exploration rigs in the coal mining industry, pm me if you're interested in a more detailed description of what it takes to run a 3 person drill-truck, like what i linked. :)
---
I'm quite busy at work atm, something needs to be done for monday, so i might not be that active for the next few days.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 09:03:13 am by andy_t_roo »
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Hell if I know.  Pretty humourous suggestion, but utterly useless in the case of roleplaying, if indeed the whole game world was one whole huge ass field of fruit.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30