Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More evil?  (Read 1293 times)

Omap

• Bay Watcher
  • Jailer of the Dead
    • View Profile
More evil?
« on: February 17, 2012, 04:03:56 pm »

I'm not really used to using the advanced world generator, but I seem to notice that whenever I generate a world, there aren't a lot of evil places, and those evil places are usually mountains or glaciers. I want to make a world where I can keep trying evil forts over and over without running out of room, or make some kind of evil kingdom of dwarves. is there a way I can adjust something to make my world spawn with maybe 25% or so of the surface as evil or terrifying or haunted? maybe 25-50%?

Every time I try to adjust the values for haunted and terrifying regions in advanced mode it just rejects all of them, or gives me a flat world with nothing on it but forest.

thanks!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: More evil?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 04:08:16 pm »

I've not had good luck playing with those settings myself, this version or the last. Seems like if you move anything, savagery or whatever much past its default, it just starts rejecting worlds by the 100s.

You might try toning down the settings and just let it continue to reject until it finds one.

But in general this version, yeah, I've noticed evil regions are much smaller and tend to be off at the edges of the world.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 04:11:17 pm »

There's some things in the advanced world gen that tell how many tiles are generated.

Something like "evil aligned squares in small region", "big region" and "large region", if you put 4+ in large region you can generate evil oceans or evil mountain ranges. 

So basically, pump up the numbers by a few hundred/thousand and you'll see alot more evil areas being generated, if its constant rejections then tone down the number until it works!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 04:11:55 pm »

Humans are violent, persistan, and typically morally rightous. I'd imagine those regions are where the evil got stuffed by the armies of man and dorf.

Omap

• Bay Watcher
  • Jailer of the Dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 04:16:18 pm »

There's some things in the advanced world gen that tell how many tiles are generated.

Something like "evil aligned squares in small region", "big region" and "large region", if you put 4+ in large region you can generate evil oceans or evil mountain ranges. 

So basically, pump up the numbers by a few hundred/thousand and you'll see alot more evil areas being generated, if its constant rejections then tone down the number until it works!

the only problem is that if I even up those amounts by a tiny bit, I seem to get 100s of world rejects. Maybe I'll pick a number and slowly work my way down.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 04:16:47 pm »

Give this a try:
If you don't mind using the advanced world generation tools, it's really easy to get a large number of evil zones. The amount of evil in the world can be safely ramped up 10 times or more without resulting in many rejections at all.

Edit: posted too soon.

Editing the savagery mesh helps too.

Savagery mesh size: 2x2
Savagery weighted range (0 - 20): 9
Savagery weighted range (20 - 40):4
Savagery weighted range (40 - 60):1
Savagery weighted range (60 - 80):9
Savagery weighted range (80 - 100):16
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 04:18:22 pm »

I don't know if this is too obvious or something, but in the world gen settings, turn off all the entries that say anything like "Minimum required XXX" they are toward the bottom.

In this case, especially "Minimum Number of Low Evil Subregions" or something to that effect. Anything like that, set them to zero. They don't help, they just reject worlds that you told the generator to make.

Increasing the maximum number of subregions and messing the number of civs might help too.

Omap

• Bay Watcher
  • Jailer of the Dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 04:23:02 pm »

Seems I'm getting another problem.. I'm just getting a perfectly flat empty forested world now, with nothing on it; constantly being rejected.

-edit-

it appears that It was doing that because it saved my previous fiddling, I got it to work!

thanks for all the help everyone, especially the one about the Savagery mesh.

cheers!

-edit edit-

TIME FOR FUN

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 04:45:07 pm by Omap »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 04:51:40 pm »

My current world. copy+paste in the data/init/world_gen.txt file if you want it (DFVD only).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Designed it for equal fun whether you choose fortress or adventure mode, and to gen relatively quickly (only 150 years, medium map.) It features lots of cities, lots of terrifying, a good selection of necromancer towers, and it looks like somebody threw up all over the place. No large, boring deserts or oceans, for example.

edit: didn't see I got quoted! Thanks, Carnes. :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 04:53:45 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand