Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Wasteland sequel comes to Kickstarter  (Read 12728 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Wasteland sequel comes to Kickstarter
« on: February 17, 2012, 03:38:54 pm »

Interplay founder Brian Fargo has announced a Kickstarter project to do a sequel to Wasteland.

Awwwwwww yeah.

Of course, there's two possible cynical responses to this:
1. There's already been a sequel. It's called Fallout.
2. Fargo just saw what Tim Schafer did and figured, "How do I get me a piece of THAT action??!"

But if it's legit, this could be extremely sweet. Especially as it looks like he intends the game to be published directly to donaters rather than using a publishing house. Hence, no imposed deadlines or loss of creative control.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wasteland sequel comes to Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 04:26:30 pm »

I did predict that this kind of thing would be a trend.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 02:59:41 pm »

ENOUGH.

I mean it.

Just retire already. You already get laurels for some of the best games of all time... Wasteland, Fallout... just quit trying to come out of retirement to failure, Jordan style.

Brian Fargo has had more than enough opportunity to give people what they wanted... and guess what ? He didn't! During his tenure at Interplay, they made Fallout Tactics. Why? I don't remember people saying in 2000 "Hey! We need a RTS from the Fallout universe! We don't need another RPG...."

So, if the players/fans finance this new game, will they get what they want? Or what Fargo wants to shove down their throat?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 03:01:01 pm »

1. There's already been a sequel. It's called Fountain of Dreams.

FTFY :D

Also... Bard's Tale. WTF was up with that? (same guy right?)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:03:53 pm by Sergius »

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 04:18:08 pm »

Do you mean the bards tale remake? Because bards tale was an original game that came out in 1985... Fallout came out in '97... So... Yeah.

Edit, it occurred to me you may not be implying bards tale was 'sequal' but rather poking at Fargo. In that case, yes... Wtf was up with it?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:20:12 pm by Goron »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 05:06:39 pm »

Why would a guy who's life is creating the best games he possibly can... want to retire if he has the chance of having his games revived?

I understand why you want him to roll over (afterall both Peter and Sid Meiyer have fallen so far from grace they are suffering from the squats) but frankly I don't see why he would.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 08:17:00 pm »

Do you mean the bards tale remake? Because bards tale was an original game that came out in 1985... Fallout came out in '97... So... Yeah.

Edit, it occurred to me you may not be implying bards tale was 'sequal' but rather poking at Fargo. In that case, yes... Wtf was up with it?

I meant the second one, yes. Seriously WTF.

Not that it's a bad game, mind you... (haven't played so I don't know) why not call it The Misadventure of Mr. Funny Pants or something, why even bother calling it that.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 09:26:12 pm »

I notice a distinct lack of KickStarter link. Could this be a hoax?  ::)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 10:44:59 pm »

I notice a distinct lack of KickStarter link. Could this be a hoax?  ::)

IGN said it will start sometime next month.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 11:17:52 pm »

What would be the point of that? if they open the kick starter earlier, they will get more money sooner, right? Or is there a maximum duration you can make it?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 12:12:00 am »

Maybe he's still working on the exact terms of the project. Trying to get a feel of the actual amount of money, what "prizes" to give out, etc.

Who knows. He just got the "impulse" to try Kickstarter to ape the other guy, and maybe he's yet to figure out the details.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 08:03:56 pm »

Getting a plan and outline of the project in place.
Probably the significant part of it is the people he wants to grab have to be willing to commit to jumping off their current jobs(if any)... if the kickstarter project fails, their ship would be sunk... and they may not even have the benefit of a life-jacket...   Its a precarious situation for people who need to pay the bills in this economy.
Meh, looks like he still has a studio like the Double Fine's people.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:07:42 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 08:05:48 pm »

Was there ever really any cult following of Wasteland?  I don't remember ever hearing much about it.  Seems like an odd choice.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 08:06:21 pm »

I liked fallout tactics.  Enjoyable game, doing something different from 1+2 but not bad.  It wasn't heavy on the cannon but it didn't piss over the cannon like fallout 3 did.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 10:05:15 pm »

Was there ever really any cult following of Wasteland?  I don't remember ever hearing much about it.  Seems like an odd choice.

One of my friends told me wasteland back then as being like 40d era dwarf fortress, as in you'd ocasionaly hear awesome things about it here and there but it remained largely obscure for quite a while.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4