Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Roll to Stop the Suns: A Vampire RTD  (Read 19050 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Stop the Suns: A Vampire RTD
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2012, 03:49:00 am »

Kal clicked his tongue in annoyance. "I suspect we'll meet again, Archer. Enemies have more in common than you think."

Attempt to scramble onto balcony and flee to safety.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2012, 04:56:33 am »

((Huzzah!))

Eldrin Faenir - Assassin

Eldrin looked at his hands, then at the unconscious guard before turning to the one that was slouched and holding his own head that bore the mark of his fist. They were innocents, and even if he was not technically one of them, he still had a code to follow. He brushed his 'stache one last time before approaching the guard.

"So much for decency, ol' chap."

Aim to knock-out the last remaining guard and escape from the place! Put the Chain of Keys on the unconscious guard's body BUT after making an outline of the keys in a mold of some sort.

If possible, Eldrin tries to loot anything on the guards' bodies before leaving.

Decency. He had to make sure that no trace of his being there would be followed. If they knew the treasure keeper was killed and keys were stolen, then obviously a new set would be made and thus, a new set of lockpicks to fashion.

Why do that? he mused, if I could just frame another one and keep the originals? The Spin Doctor would be pleased.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:45:58 am by Tiruin »

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2012, 07:14:11 am »

allow two-face to chase after him, and I will question the maceman on who sent them

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2012, 09:35:07 am »

Scowl and whip my staff towards his hands, trying to break one of his hands, if not both

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2012, 02:32:41 pm »

[Turn 2.5: Too Deep And Too Greedily]

Survivalist: [6] Before you can come up with a good plan to get up, your predatory instincts kick in: you let out a cackling laughter as you, teeth bared, slowly advance towards the approaching peasants. [Roll against Terror: 6] The peasants stop to laugh at you and give you vital seconds you need to change your direction: you dart up the building's wall, do a backflip and land straight on the balcony. The Archer sputters in bafflement before finally getting back his gift of speech: "What- how- Get back here, you! That's not fair!"
"Now who's naive, you or my assistant? No can do. Anyway, I'm off to the city's sewers. Gotta spread my legacy before you kill me, eh?" You didn't actually intend to do something like that, but the city's sewers were gigantic; trying to find you down there would put a great strain on the Twin Suns' forces and prevent most of their goons from looking for you aboveground. "We'll meet again, Archer... enemies like you and me have more in common than you think."
[4] vs. [2] [Damage: 2] But before you reach the roof, Archer shouts "Not so fast, vampire!" and some weird, unusually small arrow pierces your hip. Judging from the feeling of numbness where it struck, the arrow was built like a stake - such an arrow would fell a run-of-the-mill vampire in the matter of seconds after it entered the body. Fortunately, you're no usual vampire. You give the Archer a wink and tear out the arrow before disappearing on the rooftops. The look on his face... it was priceless.
Now, where will you go next? Your hovel is out of question: you see a column of smoke raising from its general direction, and you can bet there would be an ambush waiting for you even if the hovel weren't burnt down. You could visit the local tavern and get some information on where the Twin Suns' headquarters may be located, but if you went in without changing your clothes, you'd have to answer questions about why you're covered in blood head to toe. The city's market would be a good place to get a new set of clothing without raising suspicion: there are far too many customers at the market for you to attract attention no matter how much dried blood there is in your hair.
Got Item: Stake Arrow(coated with Survivalist's Blood)

Assassin: [5] vs. [1-1] [Critical Damage: 3*2] You approach the still-standing guard while he's trying to get up after your initial strike, mysteriously whisper "Decency is key, chap!" into his ear, then give him another blow that sends him to the floor like a bag of dirt. He won't be getting up after this one, that's for sure.
[3] You didn't manage to find much in the guards' pockets: a firestarting kit, two small pouches of gold, and a flask of some strong, foul-smelling liquor. Now, on to wiping your trail... You find no good material to take a mold off the keys, and you would be unlikely to need it in the future: you have just set the mansion on fire, after all. You stuff the keys in the second guard's pocket, draw your dagger and get ready to turn him into a vampire. The treasure keeper was drained of blood, something only vampiric bites do to people - and you'll need your scapegoat to cover for that factor, too. [1] You slide a dagger across your left elbow, but the cut is too deep: arterial blood sprays out in a fountain, covering you, your moustache, the unconscious guards and, well, pretty much everything else in the vicinity in curse-transmitting grime. But you still can fix this - nobody in the mansion actually saw you, so unless you'll get detected like that, everything's going to be all right. [Luck 2] Exactly the moment that thought came to your mind, a morning shift arrives and witnesses the bloody scene with you at the center. Aww, crap.
The little predator in the back of your mind suggests you kill the newly-arrived guards instead of running, lest they sound an alarm and make you known as a thief and an arsonist. However, the little predator was known for giving inhumane advice before.
Lost Item: Chain of Keys
Got Item: Firestarting Kit
Got Item: Flask of Foul Spirits
Got Item: Pouch(25 gold), Pouch(10 gold)

Umbrento's Mansion, Front Gate:
Guard 3, 10/10 HP, wields a longsword and a shield(+0 to attack, 1d6 damage, +1 to defense)
Guard 4, 5/5 HP, wields an elven-made bow with steel-tipped arrows(+1 to attack, 1d5+1 damage)

Necromancer:
Two-Face: [2] vs. [3] He sprints down the road at once, but doesn't find anything
Imigo: [1] That's because Imigo went off trail and met a merry band of three wolf husks. [6] vs. [4] [Damage: 4+1+5=10] Their grins were very friendly before they tore him a new mouth. And another. And another. And another... [Roll against Huskification: 1] The husks were covered in a thick layer of eerie dust, and soon after he was bitten, Imigo became one with the Bogs' undead populace. Soon after that incident, he decided that un-life was too good to throw it away and resigned from any and all adventurous endeavours in the future.
Antora: [3] You descend the tower's stairs and approach the pile of flesh that was Maceman once. You ask him a few questions, but to no avail: he seemed very intent on remaining silent. Maybe it's because your zombies killed him so thoroughly that even your magic wouldn't put him back well enough to let him speak?
Fortunately, the man's hammer-wielding colleague was far more talkative: he explained to you what the Twin Suns are and why they are out for your head. Turns out, there aren't all that many vampire necromancers in the world, and they seem to be more resistant to the magic of divine origin... meaning that you and your friend were invulnerable to that 'ritual' of the Twin Suns.
Still, you felt it was worth investigating an ancient shrine of the Twin Suns that the Hammerman mentioned as their rally point: if these fanatics sent a party of adventurers into this death trap of a bog just to deal with you, there was nothing stopping them from sending an army of peasants next time. Should you head out now or try to repair the tower first? Your friend should arrive in less than a few hours, and you'd hate to greet them with a ruined tower and a quickly scribbled note.

Speedster: [4+2-1-1] vs. [2], [Damage: 5+1] You attack the Axeman with bone-breaking strength this time, and the hit lands right on his wristbones. You hear a muffled cracking sound as the hit connects, and the Axeman drops his axe with a pained cry.
"The offender is disarmed!" says mayor immediately, triumphant notes in his voice, "This duel is over! The offender now has to withdraw his accusations or face death."
"Fine, fine... You're no vampire and I was wrong. Happy now?"
"You just tried to kill me because some shady person told you I'm a vampire. I don't even think he had any evidence to support his claim! No, I'm not happy. Who exactly sent you to assassinate me and where can I find him?"
"Oi, I'm no assassin. I'm a bounty hunter. An old fella in that black robe with suns on it told me to bring you in dead or alive, and he told me he had evidence - a vision from the Old Gods themselves. He's out in that old temple a ways out o' town. The stone-cut building, with a huge disk on top - y'know, that temple."
You knew the place he was speaking about. It was an old - ancient, even - structure, long-abandoned and harmless on the first glance, but apparently cursed or guarded by some unseen forces: no one who stayed a night inside the temple ever came out. The idea of someone who isn't afraid to casually discuss a murder-to-be in such a building would, indeed, add credibility to any story that has the word 'Gods' in it.
You feel... compelled to investigate that temple. If someone had truly talked to the Old Gods, then you wanted to know who it was - and get rid of them. People who talked to gods were always bad news - especially for vampires.

Spoiler: Ancient (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spin Doctor (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Survivalist (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Speedster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Necromancer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Assassin (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:49:10 pm by HmH »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2012, 03:03:54 pm »

Eldrin Faenir - Assassin

'Oh bother, it looks like we're both in a spot, eh?

I guess it's time to-'

'I say, that is one fancy bow he has there!'

Eldrin stopped in his tracks upon seeing the new arrivals. Judging by their positioning and looks, they didn't expect to see this much action -much less the mansion on fire, and the fact that two guards were down behind him.

He reached for whatever weapons he could grasp in such short a moment, it was no wonder that what was in his hands were...the loot he had stolen from the other two.

Seemed like a good idea.

Light that Flask of Foul Spirits with the Firestarter and throw it at the first guard!

empfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2012, 03:18:17 pm »

Call back Two-Face and attempt to get the pack of wolves that tore Imigo to pieces to join me on my journey to the shrine. Have the leftover skeletons and zombies repair the towers, give the prisoner's their food, etc., but have Two-Face come with me. Leave a note behind for my companion, and head out.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:03:37 pm by empfan »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2012, 03:20:14 pm »

Head to market, acquire clothing. In fact, ideally acquire easily carried pack and a spare set or two of clothing.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2012, 05:46:57 pm »

Assassin: [6] vs. [4+1], [Damage(1d10 per enemy), Guard 1: 10] [Damage, Guard 2: 2] You light the flask's spirits on fire and throw it at the first Guard, hoping the glass of the flask will shatter against the man's shield when he tries to deflect it. Your plan works perfectly... almost too perfectly: not only does the flask explode in a cloud of sticky, flaming goo enveloping and burning the guard to a crisp, but the second guard is hit by the shrapnel from the explosion.
[Roll against Vampirism: 6] Fortunately for the guard, your blood that was covering the flask has been burned off in the explosion; had it not, they would have become your thrall as soon as the curse touched their heart. [2+1] vs. [2], [Damage: 5+1] The guard raises their bow and, before you can react, an arrow pierces your right shoulder. That's a great bow, indeed.
Eldrin: -6 HP, 14/20 HP. -1 to two-handed actions until healed.
Guard 1: -10 HP, died on the spot. The corpse is still burning, and there's nothing to loot from it that didn't get burned or deformed from the heat.
Guard 2: -2 HP, 3/5 HP. Race: apparently, an elf.

Necromancer: [5] The repair jobs seem to be going all right, so you decide there's no need to oversee them personally. You leave a farewell note for your companion before leaving the tower. "Zealots went crazy again. This time they want to eradicate vampires as a whole. Going to town to stop them. Talk to our newest captive to know more."
[1] The wolves don't seem to feel like joining you. And Imigo the Husk? That guy definitely doesn't. You're protected by the enchanted trail while you're staying on the road, but Imigo's too eager to kick your ass to let some magic-shmagic stop him. Now you've got a creepy undead stalker following your every step, a handful of eerie dust in each hand, waiting patiently for you to make a mistake and step off the trail. He might prove a problem later on...

Survivalist: [3] The choice of goods at the market isn't the best, what with it being a little early for shopping, but even the current choice will do. Here's the chart of goods that will fit your requirements:
- Hood and Cloak: 100 gold. +1 to concealing your identity. -1 to avoiding unwanted attention.
- Black Robe: 150 gold. -1 to blending in with the usual crowd, +2 to disguising yourself as a zealot of the Twin Suns.
- Pilgrim's Staff: 100 gold. -1 to attack, 1d6+1 damage, debilitating status effects on hits over 4 damage, +1 to avoiding unwanted attention if wielded with the Hood and Cloak.
- Normal Clothing: 50 gold. No modifiers, but helps if you need a quick replace of clothing.
- Fake Beard: 100 gold. +2 to avoiding detection by peasants, no modifiers to avoiding detection by Twin Suns' zealots. The beard falls off when one makes sharp movements; therefore, auto-fail on avoiding unwanted attention whenever you're doing anything active.
You have 300 gold in your pouch. What will you buy?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:51:14 pm by HmH »

empfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2012, 06:01:21 pm »

"Two-Face -drops on knee for better shot and reloads crossbow- Lets keep this sorry Schmuck dead, hm?  Ah yes, and pick a new name, I know you can still talk, you don't decay and you didn't get your windpipe cut."

Open fire on the Corpse of Imigo, then steal his robes to sneak into the Two Suns' Base
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:08:27 pm by empfan »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2012, 06:49:47 pm »

Eldrin Faenir - Assassin

"That was a jolly good shot, sport! Now I'll show you how a real man shoots!"

Return fire at the Elf, with my Dwarven Crossbow!

'This would be pushing my luck, that arrow does hurt a lot and my daggers would be put to better use. Agh, holding this thing may be hard...'

antlion12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2012, 07:14:14 pm »

Convert him then ask who he used to work for

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2012, 04:56:43 am »

Try as hard as possible to manipulate the weak-willed guard into removing the stake.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2012, 10:24:25 pm »

Black robe and two spare changes of normal clothing. Don black robe.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2012, 03:31:47 pm »

NOTE: Xardalas told me it's no longer possible for him to play. Speedster's spot is now open! Those who sign up for it will appear where the Xardalas's speedster was, with the same inventory as he was, but with all other details - such as the character's name - decided by the player.

[Turn 3: Missing Someone]

"Two-Face -drops on knee for better shot and reloads crossbow- Lets keep this sorry Schmuck dead, hm?  Ah yes, and pick a new name, I know you can still talk, you don't decay and you didn't get your windpipe cut."

Open fire on the Corpse of Imigo, then steal his robes to sneak into the Two Suns' Base
[1] vs. [6] You go out of your way to hit Imigo. Literally: you step off the trail while trying to get into a better aiming position. Imigo has a clean shot at you now...
[1] vs. [4] Which he foolishly decides to realize with a running roundhouse kick, missing you and landing right in the middle of the trail. [Roll against Instant Death: 1] This sets off the enchantments, and Imigo goes up in a column of white flames so bright that all undead in the vicinity, including Two-Face, are sent running away in otherworldly terror.
Two-Face will return to you eventually, but you're pretty sure the fear will make him forget to think of a new name while he's doing so. Also, Imigo's robe is now ashes along with everything else he had.
You feel the Hunger gnawing at you again, a reminder that you haven't fed back at the tower. Still, the Hunger might come in handy if you got into a fight on your way to the temple.

"That was a jolly good shot, sport! Now I'll show you how a real man shoots!"

Return fire at the Elf, with my Dwarven Crossbow!

'This would be pushing my luck, that arrow does hurt a lot and my daggers would be put to better use. Agh, holding this thing may be hard...'
[3-1-1 vs. 4] Your wounded arm gives under the crossbow's weight and throws off your already poor aim. Your opponent looks ready to burst laughing, but readies another shot nonetheless.
Guard Elf: [2+1 vs. 3] The elf's arrow misses your right cheek by fractions of an inch, nearly disrupting your perfect five o'clock shadow in the process. Man, that elf is lucky!
Your eye catches the covering of your blood all over your body. Just one drop of it entering the elf's bloodstream will be able to turn them - and their luck - onto your side...

Convert him then ask who he used to work for
[Loyalty: 6] You wait until the brute's so close to death he can feel it - and only then do you turn him. The less alive the thrall was at the time of conversion, the bigger his master's influence over him, which is useful when dealing with particularly rebellious converts.
Brute turned into Vampire Brute, 30/30 HP. Willing Thrall: compelled to see Augustine Volkar in positive light, -2 to disobeying Augustine Volkar.
[First Impression: 4+1 vs. 3-2] [Critical Success!] When you ask the Brute your questions, he answers immediately. He also seems to state his loyalty to you whenever possible, which does get annoying rather soon. Maybe the delay before conversion damaged his mind a bit... but it's not like you picked him for his skill at chess, anyway.
"Welcome to your new life, pal. What's your name?"
"Sir, the name's Diego, sir! I'm honored to serve you, sir!"
"Very well, Diego. I'm Augustine Volkar. I'm glad you agreed to join me as a friend of the night. Now, I need to know who sent you to assassinate me. Was it Julius Umbrento?"
"Sir, no, sir! Umbrento only helped, sir! Direct order from the Twin Suns, sir!"
You remembered the Twin Suns. Your own master, Samuel Bel, liked to tell stories about them, to make sure you didn't mess around with the Old Gods... but they were dormant for over five centuries, ever since their shrine was broken in the Second Crusade! Did someone who remembered the Twin Suns reconstruct the shrine, or was it merely a demon posing as them?
"Oh? How did you receive the order, Diego? Did the high priest tell you about it?"
"No, sir! I heard them in my head, sir!"
Well, that was bad news. Only genuine deities had the ability to communicate with their worshippers... that is, if they were interested enough in the mortals' affairs to do so. That meant the Twin Suns were not only back in power - they were pissed off and ready to pass divine judgement on everyone they see. You had to destroy the Twin Suns' newly-made shrine before they gained even more worshippers, lest they cause another catastrophic 'miracle' like in the days of old.
"Then I might have to... deal... with your compatriots in person. Could you tell me where the Twin Suns' current shrine is? And how many worshippers they have?"
"Sir, it's their old temple, sir! About ten people inside the temple, sir! Thirty more in the catacombs and around the city, sir!"
Well, it could be worse. Your master, Samuel, gave you a copy the temple's map once: it, indeed, had some labyrinthine catacombs, but at least there weren't many traps there. You lead Diego to the library so he could give you an oath of loyalty, and fetch the temple's map on your way. [Oath: 5+1 vs. 1-2] [Critical success!] Diego the Brute will never disobey you in the future. He's now sunk too deep in vampiric loyalty and personal sense of duty to even think of it.
Gained Henchman: Diego. 30/30 HP, wielding two Shortswords(two attacks, Strength-based -2 to hit, 1d6 damage) and wearing a Plated Leather Armor(-2 to received damage). +2 to Strength. Cannot disobey you.
In all that, you didn't even pay attention to your wounds as the flesh restored itself and pulled together. You are fully healthy again.

Try as hard as possible to manipulate the weak-willed guard into removing the stake.
Dominated Guard: [3] The guard tries to wrench the stake out of your stomach, but between his comrade trying to slap him out of it and his hands slipping on the stake, the guard doesn't do much. In a panic, you order him to draw the sword and attack the other guard.
[5 vs. 1], [Critical Damage: (6+1)*2] The attack makes a wonderful, clean cut where the idealist guard's neck was; his head flies right off in a high arc, and the beheaded body falls onto the tunnel's floor in a heap.
[Roll against Domination: 5] Ironically, less than a few moments after the guard killed his colleague, your control over his will breaks. You feel a wave of palpable terror coming from the guard, and then your mind succumbs to the black unconsciousness.

Black robe and two spare changes of normal clothing. Don black robe.
[5] You buy the items and don the black robe as soon as you get out of sight. You wipe the bloodstains off your face, fit the hood closely and adopt that my-god-is-bigger-than-yours posture and attitude that seemed a necessary part of Archer and all other zealots. You're pretty sure you look indistinguishable from a Twin Suns' worshipper now.
Kal: Wearing Well-Fitted Black Robe(-1 to blending in with the crowd, +3 to passing for a zealot of the Twin Suns)
[4] You head over to the tavern and ask a nearest drunk if he knows anything about the Twin Suns. Everyone in the tavern takes you for another preacher and looks the other way while the drunk rants about your order, your temple and where you can shove it. While definitely unpleasant, this conversation was informative: you now knew where the Twin Suns' headquarters was, and how much that drunk hated them. You bet you could recruit him if you chose your words well...

Speedster: Your wounds heal as you go to the old temple. It doesn't seem like the temple's inhabited from where you're standing: the same empty windows, the same wide-open doors, the same creepy silence about it. Still, you notice a lot of fresh trails in the ground near the temple: the majority of them leads out of the temple, and very few lead inside. It looked almost as if a small army departed from this place a few hours ago.
Once you enter the temple, you don't see anyone in particular, even though there are clear signs that this place is inhabited. However, very soon you hear a long, terrified scream coming somewhere from the temple's basements. Will you investigate it?

Spoiler: Ancient (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spin Doctor (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Survivalist (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Speedster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Necromancer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Assassin (click to show/hide)

Summarized combat rules. Put them there so as to set them in stone once and for all.
Spoiler: Combat System (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:01:53 am by HmH »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11