Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Combat and Killing - tactics and techniques  (Read 6033 times)

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Combat and Killing - tactics and techniques
« on: February 17, 2012, 01:14:54 pm »

So, no this is not a guide, this is a discussion about how exactly you kill things.

My general idea is: (speaking of humanoids)
Step one: Incapacitate, meaning sever motornerves in the legs, sever motornerves in arms/cut off hands.
Step two: Hack of lots of small bodyparts, like ear, fingers, toes, mouth, noses, and finaly open a major artery in the troat, by stabbing.
Step three: Whait for it to bleed to death.

Now, how do you guys get things killed?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Combat and Killing - tactics and techniques
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 01:17:54 pm »

>Cut head off

Or

Attack lower body, vomit! VOMIT EVERYWHERE!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 01:21:17 pm »

Step one: Disable, either by proning or disarming them.
Step two: Repeat for everyone present.
Step three: Called shots to the head for anyone that hasn't already bled out.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 01:26:23 pm »

1. Cut the leg/foot of the nearest enemy off. If not viable (Low chance to hit) aim for their weapon hand or some other bodypart that has a high chance to disable them. If i have no chance at all to hit something that might hurt them i throw something at them instead, hoping to cause some pain.

2. Repeat for every enemy

3. Finish them off.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 01:46:27 pm »

1. Grab by throat
2. Put in choke hold
3. Strangle as needed until incapacitated
4. Uncerimoniously drop them
5. Tear their throat out with my teeth and move on
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 01:58:14 pm »

Limbs - legs. If not legs, weapon hand.
Guts.
Head.

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 01:59:24 pm »

Ultimate Vamp Kill

Sneak up behind enemy -> Strangle -> Bite Throat -> Shake -> Feed until they bleed to death

Usually they dont even spot me before they are dead...
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Batmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 02:57:51 pm »

Whips.

moar pain.
See, I play as a highland lord, I light the torches its time for war, I'll ride through a rival town weilding a ball and chain made of spikes and thorns, or a longsword, with the hilt made out of a dinosaurs spinal chord, sharpened against a rhino's horn, when you swing it it sounds like a lions roar!

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 03:02:32 pm »

Make em vomit > dismemeber legs > cop de grace (assuming they yet live)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 03:44:29 pm »

I use aimed shots, choosing one of the "decent" shots (has a green + or + to the right of it) with this priority:
1) head - A headshot can easily end the fight. Take it if you can get it.
2) leg/foot - A good hit here can put him on the ground so I can move away and deal with others
3) hand/arm - Making him drop his weapon makes him far less dangerous.
If any of those have a blue ! next to them, I take a look at it. If it's a weapon shot that gets the !, I'll take it. If it's something lame like a scratch, I go with one of the above that has a green +.

Once you put an opponent on the ground or disarm him, move on to another one. Your companions may steal your kills, but things are hard enough now that surviving is more important than kill count. One exception would be archers. If an archer can still fire, I stay on him until he's dead or disarmed. Getting shot in the back of the head while walking away from a downed archer can ruin your whole day.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 03:52:38 pm »

depends on the enemy. Weak enemies I go for quick kills, head, throath or upper body. Stronger enemies I first try to disable the shield hand, weapon hand, ability to stand, finish tem off. However, I'll always take a "best opportunity". If it says no chance to hit the arms or hands, I'll hit a leg, etc.

I tend to prefer stabbing for upper and lower body, otherwise slashing for dismemberment. If I don't want dismemberment, I shield smash.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 03:18:13 am »

Playing a human outsider, I invested points into knife fighting, and after I laid my hands on a high quality silver boning knife, I employed the following tactics:

1) whenever an easy shot against arm or leg presents itself, blunt strike with the pommel of the knife. It was like 80 percent chance of breaking a bone, which usually meant disabling the opponent
2) against upper or lower body, stab. Against head, kick.

I killed a whole village of mad cultists this way.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 03:31:13 am »

Cut off their weapon hand, and whenever you see a light blue "!" you use it

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 03:37:55 am »

Playing a human outsider, I invested points into knife fighting, and after I laid my hands on a high quality silver boning knife

Oof. Silver is the worst material for edged weapons. Great for blunt, bad for everything else. Get yourself the next non-silver knife you can get. Quality doesn't effect a weapon's performance unless it's masterful quality.

I, too, have been playing an outsider. I went with a spear, though. Recruited a spearman in the first village. Sadly, he didn't survive his first river crossing. On the plus side, that gave me a set of clothes and a better shield and spear.

I was chased by bogeymen to the nearest town, where I found a lycanthrope's lair. Naked child. Killed with a quick spear thrust to the face. After that I felt confident. Recruited some men in the keep, grabbed some armor, and delved into the dungeons to root out the dwarves and elves living there. Lost both of my recruits and suffered minor wounds in an epic battle against about 20 of the bastards. The leader clearly outclassed me, but had made the mistake of bringing a silver battle axe to the party.

Friends don't let friends roll with silver blades.

Anyway, advice that hasn't been covered yet: once archers are out of the picture (because archers are priority #1), you want to always keep distance on your opponents. Let them come to you one at a time. They waste a turn moving, and you get to strike. When their friends are in range to hit you, move away; never let yourself get surrounded.

Barring lucky opportunities for the head, I always go for arms and legs. One good wound on each limb. If I can't wound a new limb, then I go for the upper and lower body.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 03:56:11 am »

Anyway, advice that hasn't been covered yet: once archers are out of the picture (because archers are priority #1)

Yup, ALWAYS go for archers first to limit the chances of taking a random shot that will more than likely stun/cripple/kill you. 

As for that, go for attacks that give you the best opportunity to hit in order of importance. (ie, if you don't have a good chance to hit the body part, you go for the next one which'll give you a good chance)

1. Head (instant kill, or other very deadly side effects)
2. Weapon Arm (less chance of getting hit by a killing or disabling blow)
3. Legs (so they won't run away plus they lose a chance to do anything when they fall over)
4. Lower Body (This and Upper Body seem to be the easiest places to target on any "Warlord"-type enemy; chance to spill guts (mortal wound), and cut them in half (insta-kill, the stronger you are the better chance of it happening I believe)
5. Upper Body (Chance to stab through to their spine and make them drop their weapon/shield, puncture their lung for a mortal wound, break ribs and bones for extra pain)

And so on, the further you go outside of those 5 areas the more harder it is to strike, or the area where you would need to strike would not be as important as these 5 areas.  Even on a larger beast/FB/Titan/whatever, these areas remain the same, they just take more hits to actually do anything (if at all). 
Pages: [1] 2