Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Larger maps=more lag, same space?  (Read 977 times)

-Firestar-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Larger maps=more lag, same space?
« on: February 17, 2012, 12:26:37 pm »

I started a new fortress in a steep cliff that has seemingly everything I could ever want on it-gold, silver, obsidian, copper, various red metals etc. I extended the range to be a 5x5 square thinking I would be able to have more land.

Except I didn't get more floor space to work with at all. Is there no benefit at all to making your embark area smaller or larger?

Here's where my cursor stops on the map, effectively locking me out of the river I wanted and half the working space of the cliff I wanted. In order to use this I may need to spend a few seasons just strip mining the thing so I have an area to work with. :(

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Larger maps=more lag, same space?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 12:34:16 pm »

I noticed this as well with the map. However, are you sure that you can't walk your dwarves over there? My impression was that the map cursor only took me to the near the edges, but that the actual screen could see things that the map cursor wasn't over. Sort of like the map cursor will show you where the middle of the main screen is - because it stops at the edge, the map cursor is shown a distance away. I didn't check this completely, though, so maybe you're right and you're seeing map that you can't get to.

And I don't know why 4x4 and 5x5 would look the same. That's really weird.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 12:37:33 pm »

You sure they're the same size?

-Firestar-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 12:51:12 pm »

My impression was that the map cursor only took me to the near the edges, but that the actual screen could see things that the map cursor wasn't over.

That's my problem. There's area that I can see but not interact with making the whole endeavor of resizing to a larger area really useless.

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 01:19:49 pm »

I think you’re misinterpreting the UI of the game.  The picture you have posted is of the on-site mini-map of Fortress mode.  Un-dug stone should appear black on the actual map screen where your dwarves are able to work and dig.

Also, you’re making mention of resizing your embark.  That will change the total number of tiles available to mine on your game map but not necessarily your mini-map.  You’re also not able to change the size of your embark on a game in progress.  You can only change the size of your embark on a new game on the site selection screen and also not on a reclamation of an old fort.

-Firestar-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 01:35:39 pm »

You sure they're the same size?

Well.... no. No I'm not. I suppose I should go count how many shift-left clicks of space there are on both sizes of map. It's probably bigger and I -am- getting more space, it just bugs me when I can see something I can't touch especially when every chunk of map means a difference of 10-20 FPS. Had another game where my cursor went all the way to all four corners of the grey border. Wish I knew what the difference was. Thanks everyone.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 01:37:21 pm »

Regardless, this is interesting behavior that I hadn't noticed in the prior version. It bears figuring out.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 02:25:34 pm »

The cursor on the mini-map will not always go to the edge, especially if you've modified the displayed area on-screen (ie. resized the window to a larger area). Your cursor on the main screen should still go all the way to the edge.

If you want to test this out, go down a few z-levels to a 'hidden' (undug) area, and designate a large block for digging in one of those corners - you'll see the minimap reflect the designated area, even though the yellow X on the map didn't go that far.