Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63

Author Topic: Bastard Paranormal 2 - Game Over!  (Read 187750 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Bastard Paranormal 2 - Game Over!
« Reply #900 on: March 29, 2012, 09:20:16 pm »

In retrospect, it was a bit obvious, given PM's claim.  I saw the similarities as soon as he posted his claim so that's why I trusted him.

I was expecting one more day phase out of the game, so I thought the power roles would be more of a target than me.  So much for that.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: March 29, 2012, 09:25:46 pm »

I should add that Cybrid Mafia often has the whole "scum team needs to figure out who their allies are" element. Though they do get a scum chat once they've done so successfully.

Of course the game is also composes of what is essentially 3 opposed scum teams and a number of survivors, so its not quite exactly the same. :P

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 29, 2012, 09:47:42 pm »

So why did all three of you decide to leave me alive?

Couldn't stun orb you >_<

Ahahaha, it was useful!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: March 30, 2012, 03:44:12 am »

Oh hey, I was wrong about pretty much everything in this game except Tolyk's and Toony's innocence, and that only due to serum mentions. Yay for my intuition.

Utterly and miserably. Whenever you get too much pressure, it seems like you stop defending yourself entirely and begin enraged non-sequitor ranting. It really doesn't help.
This time, however, I had no way to defend myself due to everyone being a survivor and not caring about the lynch. I understandably got kinda pissed about that fact.

Epic setting, Meph, but you promised you'd use some ideas from my offer, you liar. :(

Also, I still don't understand how could human scientists know how to pilot an alien ship. This makes no goddamn fucking sense. At all. Absolutely.

Also, it would be awesome if someone made a non-bastard flavor-heavy game with the 'find your scummates' premise.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: March 30, 2012, 04:32:14 am »

If any human would know how to control an alien ship, it would be the scientists studying it, no?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: March 30, 2012, 04:51:34 am »

While being held prisoner on it?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 30, 2012, 05:02:48 am »

You'd be surprised how bored people can get while taken prisoner. Studying your surroundings is one of the few pass-times available.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: March 30, 2012, 05:06:49 am »

How the unholy diabolical fuck would you learn to pilot a ship (hint: it's done not from holding cells) if you're being held in a holding cell? Would xenos give you a hologram simulation of their ship to play with or something?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: March 30, 2012, 05:09:08 am »

Yes.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: March 30, 2012, 09:27:52 am »

For those curious, I'll copy my PM-fest with meph here:

You are an Operative working for the Xenozoologists. Your goal is to prevent this group of escapees from taking off in that spaceship. As long as they don’t have anyone to pilot it, recapturing any of them that make it there isn’t really a big deal.

You do know there there are two in this group that are actually working for the Xenozoologists and not actually trying to escape. You should Aid IronyOwl and Jim Groovester should you get a chance, as they have a similar goal to yours.

To help you compete your task you have been granted 1 Medium and 2 Small  Tech items from the Alien Tech list. Make sure you PM me with your choices before the end of the first Rest phase. 

You also have a natural Mind Shield, which should protect you against any psychic interference from the escapees.

First off, no PMing sucks right about now :(

Secondly, some questions:
1) Just flavor, or is there really a pilot that needs to survive? The Ship will require a Pilot in order to take off.
2) One pilot or more than one? Unknown
3) Since you're calling me an "Operative", I assume that I am Alien and my goal will change based on my action? Correct
4) If I take no action, what would my goal show up as? Survive
5) Just to confirm, that's 1 medium *and* 2 small, not "or", yes? Correct

Oh, sorry, just remembered one more thing:  So despite being an Operative, I am still bound by the no PMing thing, yes?

Correct.

You have an interesting but challenging role.

Hmm hmm hmm.  Yes, interesting and challenging indeed. 

With no PMs, does that mean that items can't be given to other players?  If they can be, can that action be detected?

Were I to pick an assassin bot, when is the PM sent to use it?  It says that it can't be traced back to me, but would my goal change when using it?  If so, what time period(s) would it change for?

You can give items to players, but it'll have to be done out in the open in the thread.

When you use an Assassin bot you send me the PM during the Run phase and it'll go off during the transition between Running and Rest. Your Goal for that night would show 'Kill'

Was trying to decide if I wanted to go advanced mind shield here or not.  Guess that didn't really matter in the end.

Sorry for bombarding you with questions, but I have a few more -_-

If I am alive when the escapees try to get on the shuttle, do they lose?

If Jim/IronyOwl are alive when the escapees try to get on the shuttle, do the escapees lose?

If the answers to the above are uncertain, do those who are trying to prevent the escape have to equal/outnumber the escapees when trying to get on the shuttle?

In order to overpower the escapees you'll have to equal or outnumber them.

As for what happens if you guys are still around when they reach the ship and it takes off...well, you'll have to find that out.

I wonder if those two are getting the message I'm trying to send. 

Anyway, given the bit about "those who can't run are likely to be recaptured", can you tell me which tech items have ... secondary/flavor effects that would be relevant to this game? 

Would the stun orb cause someone to be unable to escape the xenos during run?

Woudl the stun bomb cause some/most/all to be unable to escape the xenos during run?

Stun orb might be useful. Stun bomb would be a bad idea, since it might have negative effects on the whole station. Assassin bots could be fitted with Tranqs instead of bullets for recapturing people.

Given that I am an alien of this space station, and I assume versed in the alien tech ... what sorts of negative effects would we be talking about here?

Stunning the people actually running the station. Possibly opening up the way for other prisoners to escape, or even causing catastrophic damage if someone is doing some critical maintenance or something.

Decided stun bomb was not a good option, for obvious reasons.

While I was originally thinking going super sneaky/survival with advanced mind shield, personal shield, and permanent holo ... I think I'm just going to go balls out.  Literally.

Personal shield
Deadman's Bomb
And a pair of stunning balls orbs. 

Noted

In hindsight, I wish I had picked something other than shield/DMB.  I didn't know at the time there were no true "kills" to trigger either.  And "lynching" wouldn't trigger DMB either.  I would have tried to bluff it if necessary though =P

stun orb NativeForeigner

Also: does someone having an anti-tech field protect them from stun orbs? 

Yes it does.

Curse you, Urist Imiknorris!  *shakes fist*

As you run along with the prisoners you managed to slip next to NativeForeigner. With a subtle flick of the wrist you toss a sticky Stun Orb onto him and then jog away before he notices. After a few moments the Orb goes off and you see him collapse. A few people glance back when he falls, but with the security teams so close no one dares to go back to help him.

One more down!

Note:  Not done by Dariush. 

Would a stun orb go through any of the protections offered by the different flavors of doctor in this game? As far as you know, yes.

Since Jim, IronyOwl and myself are working for those chasing us, what exactly happens if we get "captured"?  Is there a way for us to get back with the rest of the group (shortcut through the maintenance tunnels?) or are we unable to catch back up effectively? You probably wouldn't be able to catch up.

Tie is the same, functionally, as a no lynch, yes?  Yes

If there were a tie/no lynch situation, and as you stated that would possibly end in multiple people being recaptured, would the pursuers recognize us enough to not try and nab Jim, IO, or myself?  You are unsure on this.

Starting to contemplate that the xeno agents *needed* to get "lynched" before the shuttle, so we'd let the security team catch up to the escapees. 

So if my supply of stun orbs is depleted ... couldn't I just like ... flying tackle and restrain someone as we're running? 

Also, I picked the modified dead man's bomb that's full of sticky, restraining webbing and not C4, right?  Right?

You were not issued any lethal technology, no. The Scientists do not wish any of the subjects dead, since they need them for study.

As you all head out you slip near Powder Miner and plant the stun orb on him. After a few minutes it goes off. And you couldn’t be happier, as it happens to go off while the group is running along a catwalk. Powder Miner staggers off to the side and falls off the catwalk. No chance of anyone helping him!

Also not done by Dariush.  I had to restrain myself from calling you out when you claimed those kills :(

So now that I've used both of my stun orbs, do I have any actions that I can perform at "night" now?

No, all you can do now is try to steer thing during the rest phases.

Sadface.

Since I and Jim/IronyOwl are working with those pursuing us ... if one of the three of us is "lynched", which would mean that we are left behind to try and slow our pursuers ... wouldn't we try to not actually slow them down? 

What happens if one of the three of us is "lynched"?

Will one of us being lynched increase the chances of the escapees being recaptured?

You wouldn't slow them down, no. Whether or not it increased the chances of the pursuers catching up would depend on the situation.

Still thinking we needed to lynch ourselves rather than make it to the shuttle.  Or it was an either-or situation. 

Can you elaborate on "it would depend on the situation"?

What sort of factors, upon one of us three being lynched, would cause an increase, decrease, or no change in the chances of people being recaptured?

What sort of factors would cause an increase, decrease, or no change in the chances of people being recaptured period?

If the pursuers are close by, they'll probably catch up and recapture someone if they're not slowed down. If they aren't very close, then it probably won't change anything too much.

Interesting to look back on this knowing what Jim and IO's NK actually was. 

And how close are the pursuers?  Do you have a scale for how close/far away they are, and if so, what would be the current level?

You can't tell for certain, but you think they're moderately far away at this point.

Gauging if it would be beneficial to get myself lynched.

Flavor would indicate security is right on our heels.  How close does it seem they are?

Do I have any information about what would happen if one of the three of us makes it on to the ship?  If so, what?

If at least one of us makes it to the ship, can we sabotage it? 

If the number of escapees is equal or less than you guys, then you'll be able to stop them and win. If they outnumber you, they'll be able to escape and take off.

I still think we should have been able to sabotage the ship if there was even one of us *grumble*.  Oh well. 

So how close do the pursuers seem to be?  Close enough that if no effective barricade was left they would catch up?

Also, between my personal shield and my anti-psych field, what abilities/items could potentially affect me (in a way that I would be unable to continue running) during the run phase?

The pursuers were pretty close last time, so you think that if no one holds them up they'll have a much easier time of reaching the group.

The Shield probably won't do anything to help against interference, unless someone tries to actually attack you. It's good protection if a dopp tries to off you, though. Your Anti-Psych field means that no psychic abilities will work against you.

As for the deadman bomb, it won't go off unless you're attacked (And your shield is down). While you could give it to someone about to be 'lynched', it really wouldn't do anything since lynch in this case just means being left behind. What psychological implications an action like that might have, however, are unknown. As for giving someone an item, you have to offer it in-thread and they have to accept for the exchange to happen.

This was the "oh shit" moment for me.  I was contemplating reavealing I was scum and that you guys were screwed whether I was lynched, NK'd or left alive.  But the DMB not triggering on lynch kind of screwed that up a bit. 

I am suddenly very uncomfortable that there are three of us, three of them, and the game isn't over. 

Q: Is the game scheduled to run out to a certain "day" regardless of wincons?

The game will not end until the ship is reached.

I was worried someone was somehow a vig or this-bastard-equivalent.

As the group nears the hanger you hang back just a little bit. You want to see what’s happening, and if there is anything you can do to mess up this escape even more. But it seems that Jim has his own ideas on how to mess up the escape, and hits the door to the entrance airlock while you’re still pretty far away. Cursing, you try to make it through in time but it shuts just before you reach it.

The Security team shows up not long after and you pull out your badge. They nod and follow your orders as you have the Airlock forced open. Maybe you’re not too late to stop them after all...

(You are out of the game, but you’ll get a flavor mention at the end)

Yay!  Jim's reward is docked, however.  Asshat. 

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: March 30, 2012, 09:45:45 am »

Shakerag understands the power of a deadman bomb in "improving negotiations."
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: March 30, 2012, 10:02:01 am »

Shakerag understands the power of a deadman bomb in "improving negotiations."

Yeah, I couldn't help but laugh to myself when you talked about trying to pick one this game.  I was playing out the scene in my head: "Urist I may have wished he had a DMB, but I actually have one!  Lynch me/NK me at your own risk."

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: March 30, 2012, 10:25:51 am »

Waitwaitwait, Jim and Irony didn't have scumchat?  Oh wow.  So when did you guys figure out each other was scum? 

I figured that, for the first 3 run phases, since there was no NK other than my own, the traitors didn't have an NK at all.  I figured the NK on run 4 was part of the mechanics.  Huh. 

So I guess the inconsistancy between Jim's and IO's claims wasn't intentional, then?  I figured you two had a private chat, so that was either intentional (for some reason) or one of you goofed badly.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: March 30, 2012, 10:41:42 am »

Edit: My post was in the Wrong Thread.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:01:22 am by GlyphGryph »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63