Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 63

Author Topic: Bastard Paranormal 2 - Game Over!  (Read 187964 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Bastard Paranormal 2 - First Rest Phase
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2012, 03:53:47 pm »

Aliens:
I was abducted as a survivor, and my only goal is to escape.

So Native, are you also an alien?
Imiknorris: That's actually a very important piece of flavor that I didn't know, yes, I am an alien.
Now this is interesting. Unless you're both dopps, I think I believe you.

Unvote Imiknorris.

Doubters:
This is getting ridiculous.
Very persistent of you, but that same message can be delivered by just leaving your vote on me - that is, after all, what a vote means. Why take the effort to pointlessly repeat yourself?
Also, why the repeated insistence on voting Imiknorris? Desperate to get other people to vote him?
Well, it got him to crack, so apparently I'm doing something right.

Shakerag:
Do you mean the part about dopps wanting to know who not to NK?  Well, if it is the case they need a pilot to fulfill their win condition then that makes complete sense.  However, unless we have some way to actually determine who is and isn't a pilot before getting to the hangar, it's hard to put much faith in someone claiming such.  A dopp could claim to be a pilot to avoid being lynched, and a townie could claim pilot to avoid being NK'd.  Either way, I'm not sure that we can really base much of anything off a pilot claim right now. Unvote
Why the change of heart?

But, this *is* a bastard game, and I think it would be totally possible (and kind of interesting, come to think of it) if the traditional Paranormal roles were all changed to fit the setting of this game.  Assuming the Psychic Warden is a possible role, and the mechanics of that role stay the same, then it would make sense that they'd end up being some kind of vig-roleblocker. 
Maybe, but that seems kind of weird, as far as balance and mechanics go. I'd figure Meph would either include a vig-RBer because he wanted one or not, not just grab all his existing roles, figure out what they'd do in a completely different situation, and then throw them in and see what happened.

IronyOwl: Given that normal Paranormal games (at least, from what I've seen) typically have dopps as infiltrators in the town, how likely do you think it is that the xenos have infiltrators amongst the escapees? 
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a non-survivor third party or two, which might or might not have xeno flavor. I doubt we have any xeno-like xenos, though, since abduction doesn't really work/is the same as killing.

Dariush:
I just thought of something - if we're on a xenos' space station, where do the xenos get humans for feeding to the dopps?
They probably feed them canned Artificial Victim Chow or something.

Toony, how many claimed pilots do you think is too many to be real? What do you think of our current ones?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2012, 04:57:38 pm »

Okay, I'm here, and have some explaining to do.

Jim Groovester:
I did rush through the motions. I can't dispute that.
If you'd really like to know, I was trying to be useful, and I guess I got sloppy and went overboard. Yesterday was possibly the most I have ever actively participated in a single day, and I did not want to pull another BYOR-opener. I didn't consider TolyK's time zone when I attacked him. He left us with what I thought was a nervous smile, in addendum to his response to who he would consider good scum-partners. His lack of activity afterwards looked to be the perfect reason to increase pressure on him, and I left it at that.
As for the reread, I apparently needed it because I missed your question.

Dariush:
Why do you care about RVS so much?
I did not want to play in a similar fashion to the first day of the BYOR. In that game,  I was intentionally bringing attention to myself (by playing an unorthodox RVS) to draw inspections from the town, without so much interest from the scum-team. Since a random power was granted to anyone who used a night-action on me, I figured it would help the town in the long run by finding a way to get them to take interest, and not the scum. It did not work out that way, and made the game up until my dropping-out uncomfortable.
Really, I was just paranoid about RVS going awry.

TolyK:
I would first like to apologise for not considering your time zone. That was rude of me. Your smiley reminded me of a predecessor that I have replaced in for from the first Witchs' Coven, that played terribly and did the same thing. It was just the one nervous answer with the smiley that I was referring to, although I implied that there were multiple.
Tolyk: Would you take the pilots on their word about their claims? Why, or why not?
I would obviously take them with a grain, maybe even a spoonful, of salt. Because folks might think that pilot = don't lynch and don't kill, which it may or may not be true, and thus third party/unwanted factions might use that as cover-up. Also, as someone already mentioned, the dooplegangers might have a pilot of their own, even if the folks are telling the truth. There are too many unknowns and not enough equations.

Okay, fair enough.

Think0028:
Also, why did you want to attack TolyK even when you didn't have much on him, by your own admittance?
I emphasized that I didn't have much to attack him with,and that what little he has posted up until that point did not sit right with me. That comment about running out of things to attack him on alluded to the fact that he had only posted two response posts, one of which had the smiley.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2012, 05:01:17 pm »

Jim: Assuming we have dopps and xeno infiltrators, which would you prioritize in trying to get rid of first?

Interesting assumption. Is there anything that makes you think there are Xenozoologist infiltrators?

The doppelgangers' goals and our goals are the same, up to a certain point, i.e., escape. So, arguably, it's a better idea to go after any Xenozoologist infiltrators first. In practice, though, I don't think it matters and I don't think we should care. Getting rid of both of them is probably required for a town win.

Depending on how the first Run phase goes, we might have to change our priorities. The doppelgangers will predictably probably be able to gobble us up, but who knows what ways any potential Xenozoologist infiltrators will be able to trip us up.

Like I said before, just trying to make a logical guess.  Normal game: dopp infiltrate town.  This game: xeno infiltrate escapees?  It's a possibility, is all I'm saying.  I'm trying to figure out the bastard angle here. 

Having said that, I'm inclined to agree with you.  I think we're all speculating right now, and we may have a better idea of how bastard this game is after the first run phase. 

Imiknorris: Why exactly don't you care if there's a hivemind?
I'm immune to conversion.

Well, that makes sense.  Hopefully we don't have a hivemind, because you've just given them a slightly better chance of picking someone to successfully convert. 

Shakerag:  Pretty low odds.  I don't agree that a human couldn't pilot a ship.  All those aliens had to get to Earth somehow, right?  Many of them didn't leave.

I'm not sure I follow.  I *think* you're saying that the aliens could have taught some humans how to fly a spaceship?  Which, I suppose, could make sense because Agent Operatives, flavor-wise, are aliens stated as working with the government. 

Shakerag:
Do you mean the part about dopps wanting to know who not to NK?  Well, if it is the case they need a pilot to fulfill their win condition then that makes complete sense.  However, unless we have some way to actually determine who is and isn't a pilot before getting to the hangar, it's hard to put much faith in someone claiming such.  A dopp could claim to be a pilot to avoid being lynched, and a townie could claim pilot to avoid being NK'd.  Either way, I'm not sure that we can really base much of anything off a pilot claim right now. Unvote
Why the change of heart?

Because of my last sentence?  Unless we can prove/disprove pilot status, trying to extrapolate anything from a pilot claim is WIFOM right now, in my opinion. 

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2012, 06:21:04 pm »

Toony, how many claimed pilots do you think is too many to be real? What do you think of our current ones?
Probably anymore than 3 or 4 would push my limits.  Sure Meph would want a few pilots however too many would be unfair.  Unless Meph is bastardizing something here.

We have had two so far I believe.
Powder Miner: I'm assuming a pilot is needed because my PM specifically mentions that "oh hey, I can fly the spaceship btw" and states that it's fortunate for both me and everyone else.
Urist first responds to Powder Minder here.  It seems legitimate since he's the first to bring it up although I don't like how soon he did.  His role-fishing was scummy as fuck though.  Sorry Urist but you don't ask everybody what their role is.

Everyone: If you can fly the ship, please say so.
NativeForeigner: If you were an agent, who would you inspect tonight?
I am also fully qualified to fly the ship.
Which NativeForeigner does in kind.  He claim seems legitimate as well, since scum would be cautious and wary at first.  Unless you want to claim the entire thing is a conspiracy, which I doubt as well.

Shakerag tries to say that NativeForeigner is a faker but that sounds kind of silly without some strong logic.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2012, 07:23:02 pm »

Zrk2:
So your vote is based on WIFOM? What is this, IronyOwl?
That's not WIFOM, it's speculation. If I could think of an obvious reason why a townie would want to do this also, then it'd be WIFOM.

Well the town also want to know who not to lynch so they can survive, so it sorta is.

Jim, Toaster, and Toony: Do you think there will be any negative consequences for nolynching?

Probably, but with the mod giving a definitive answer anything I could say about it would just be a rehash of what Meph said.

Why not give us your insight, instead of dodging the question?

You raise a good point, but I think I've got the pilot thing figured out: pilot = alien. In every Paranormal game before now, humanity hasn't been capable of interstellar flight (except for the last one, which was only the first journey outside Sol). How would a human thus be capable of operating whatever spaceship lies in the hangar? Furthermore, dopps have historically only taken over humans, and since they're transported in pods, they have no need to know how to fly a spaceship, so no dopp pilots either. So Native, are you also an alien?

This is a steaming pile of bullshit. The mod could easily redo the whole setting because he felt like it and make humans more advanced. I don't see how this could possible qualify as an argument, or even thesis. This is after all a bastard mod, so odds are that most things are different, so really previous games should not effect the layout of this one at all.

**backpedalling**

This is weak. C'mon, stand b hy what you do if you think it is the best approach. Don't back off just for being called on it. Unvote, vote Flandre.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2012, 07:31:16 pm »

This is a steaming pile of bullshit. The mod could easily redo the whole setting because he felt like it and make humans more advanced. I don't see how this could possible qualify as an argument, or even thesis. This is after all a bastard mod, so odds are that most things are different, so really previous games should not effect the layout of this one at all.

I highly doubt that the mod would forsake the flavor of Paranormal, which has been established over several games, for the sake of a bastard game. You can be plenty bastardly while staying within established flavor. Yes, things will probably be different, but I'm almost sure that they'll still fit with the flavor of Paranormal. Otherwise, it just wouldn't be Paranormal.

You'll also note that there is a claimed human "pilot" (Powder Miner) who thinks they can fly the ship because they watched the controls on the way here. That's different, but still within the flavor. How accurate his claim is, I cannot say.

Dariush: My guess was that he watched when he was initially abducted. Also he said "thinks he could fly" which probably means there's a chance of failure if he's the only "pilot" to make it.

Toaster: My wincon is simply to escape on the space ship.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2012, 08:31:05 pm »

Time to gather the pieces and start over; day one always seems to be awkward for me in some way or another.

NativeForeigner:
I highly doubt that the mod would forsake the flavor of Paranormal, which has been established over several games, for the sake of a bastard game. You can be plenty bastardly while staying within established flavor. Yes, things will probably be different, but I'm almost sure that they'll still fit with the flavor of Paranormal. Otherwise, it just wouldn't be Paranormal.

I would disagree. If all of the same thematic elements were there, an unrecognisable game could still be considered Paranormal. There is really no telling how deviant a game could be and still be appropriately like-titled. 

Zrk2:
This is weak. C'mon, stand b hy what you do if you think it is the best approach. Don't back off just for being called on it. Unvote, vote Flandre.

Does it make sense if I am receptive to criticism, and don't want to fight a losing battle? I had nothing very strong in the first place, and I can't argue against sound logic. I still stand by what I believe in, but I am not naive enough to follow something I don't any longer.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2012, 08:55:55 pm »

If it isn't one thing, it's another. I'm not going to have time to post until this weekend. Extend until Saturday.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2012, 10:00:30 pm »

Flandre:
If you'd really like to know, I was trying to be useful, and I guess I got sloppy and went overboard.

To quote Yoda, do, or do not.  There is no try.

You don't "try" to be useful.  You just do it.  Only scum just "tries" to be useful.

Native:  So you're a survivor?

Urist I:  Don't forget to tell us your wincon.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2012, 10:10:59 pm »

I would disagree. If all of the same thematic elements were there, an unrecognisable game could still be considered Paranormal. There is really no telling how deviant a game could be and still be appropriately like-titled. 

Well, since we can't know for sure, I'd say there's little use in speculating.

Native:  So you're a survivor?

Essentially, I guess. But I'm not sure if I can win with the dopps and I'd rather not take that chance.

PPE: Actually, I'm almost positive I can't win with the dopps, given the nature of my mission pre-capture.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2012, 10:20:06 pm »

Also, something occurred to me.  Given that we
should reach the hanger on the Sixth Rest phase
it follows that we have five lynches and five nights until we get there.  Assuming one kill each, that'll leave us at four players once we get there.  If it's a sixth rest phase there, we may get one more lynch.  Since he answered a few questions, let's go for more info.

Mod:  Given that we "should reach the hanger on the Sixth Rest phase," does that imply that we will have one more lynch before we get on board?  What happens if a wincon is fulfilled before we get there?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2012, 10:36:32 pm »

Toaster, my wincon is to escape on the spaceship. I'm pretty sure I already said that.

Native: What was your mission before capture?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2012, 10:41:07 pm »

I was an Agent Seeker, I was supposed to get in contact with Earth’s governments to warn them about the Doppelgangers.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2012, 11:39:14 pm »

Toaster:
To quote Yoda, do, or do not.  There is no try.

You don't "try" to be useful.  You just do it.  Only scum just "tries" to be useful.
I understand what you are getting at, but I don't think this applies so much here as it does against someone who was trying to act 'town'.
Someone who claims to be trying to act 'town' has indirectly admitted to being non-town--a scumtell.
Along those same lines, someone who is trying to be 'useful' has indirectly admitted to being non-useful. Not quite the same thing.
I would be surprised if anyone in here could honestly say that they were useful without putting forth any effort.

NativeForeigner:

I was an Agent Seeker, I was supposed to get in contact with Earth’s governments to warn them about the Doppelgangers.

Is 'Seeker' a flavour title? I can't find it anywhere in the list of possible roles.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2012, 12:01:27 am »

I'm pretty sure it is, I don't have any abilities.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 63