Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 63

Author Topic: Bastard Paranormal 2 - Game Over!  (Read 187863 times)

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bastard Paranormal 2 - First Rest Phase
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2012, 12:56:23 am »

Imiknorris: That's actually a very important piece of flavor that I didn't know, yes, I am an alien. What you're saying makes sense, Dopps don't need pilots and humans simply don't have them.

My guess is that the dopps don't even have to kill everyone before making it to the spaceship, that they just have to make it there with a pilot, where they'd probably kill everyone remaining.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2012, 01:31:21 am »

Imiknorris:

This is getting ridiculous.

Flandre, ignore my questions at your peril.

Oops! I skimmed right over that, sorry.

There's also this:

And Tolyk, your low activity, nervous answers, and that one defusing smiley makes me uncomfortable. I would continue attacking, but I ran out of material.

The game started last night.

Isn't it a little early to be calling out people for inactivity?

You look like you're more interested in the appearance of activity than actual caring about suspects and stuff.

Unvote.
I knew what I was saying, and now I know where you were getting at. I also don't intend to 'not care' because you suggested it.
Tomorrow, I will reread--it is getting late.

No no no, you're doing this all wrong. You're going through the motions too quickly. You're supposed to wait a while between all this stuff, because then it looks more believable. When you do it all in a day it makes you look like you're just faking and that you don't actually care about anything going on.

Flandre.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2012, 01:39:06 am »

Shakerag:
My gut feeling is that Imiknorris may be telling the truth about being a pilot, since he brought up the point first.  However, is NativeForeigner really a pilot, or is he a dopp trying to get lynch protection?
Interesting. What do you think of my take on the matter, then?

Do you mean the part about dopps wanting to know who not to NK?  Well, if it is the case they need a pilot to fulfill their win condition then that makes complete sense.  However, unless we have some way to actually determine who is and isn't a pilot before getting to the hangar, it's hard to put much faith in someone claiming such.  A dopp could claim to be a pilot to avoid being lynched, and a townie could claim pilot to avoid being NK'd.  Either way, I'm not sure that we can really base much of anything off a pilot claim right now. Unvote

My general assumption would be that we just wouldn't have any roleblockers of that sort, or else that they'd work differently than they do in a standard game. I'd extend this to roles in general, ie Guards probably either don't exist or function by keeping an eye on someone or staying behind to cover for them, not standing outside their nonexistent door. The notion of roles/rolenames being completely different, ie Psychic Warden being essentially a killer-roleblocker, seems kind of strange to me, so I'd tend to assume that isn't the case.

But, this *is* a bastard game, and I think it would be totally possible (and kind of interesting, come to think of it) if the traditional Paranormal roles were all changed to fit the setting of this game.  Assuming the Psychic Warden is a possible role, and the mechanics of that role stay the same, then it would make sense that they'd end up being some kind of vig-roleblocker. 

However, is NativeForeigner really a pilot, or is he a dopp trying to get lynch protection?
That would hardly get me lynch protection. I don't know how many pilots there are and only one pilot is actually needed. It would be foolish of you to assume I'm not a dopp just because I claimed to be a pilot, but it's equally foolish to call me a dopp because of it.

I also feel it's a little unnecessary to scrutinize Imiknorris so heavily for asking pilots to claim. Yes, it could be Dopps making a back-up plan should their pilot die, but he could also just be trying to prevent us from lynching all of the pilots accidentally.

Fair enough, but I think we'd want to have more than one pilot left by the time we get to the hangar if possible.  However, I don't see why we shouldn't scrutinize Imiknorris' request.  What's to say that he couldn't potentially be some manner of traitor, and trying to get pilots to claim so he'd know who to try and kill somehow?  PPE:  Okay, so now you're an alien who is telling us to not scrutinize a pilot claim.  I am beginning to think I unvoted you hastily. 

Imiknorris: That's actually a very important piece of flavor that I didn't know, yes, I am an alien. What you're saying makes sense, Dopps don't need pilots and humans simply don't have them.

My guess is that the dopps don't even have to kill everyone before making it to the spaceship, that they just have to make it there with a pilot, where they'd probably kill everyone remaining.

Given how typical win conditions go, I would think the dopps would need to not only ensure a pilot makes it to the hangar, but that they also equal or outnumber the rest of the people in the shuttle.  Although, I could be thinking too deeply about this, because maybe the dopps are only concerned about escape (in the scope of this game), not domination. 

Toaster: What do you think the odds are that all pilots are aliens, like Imiknorris postulates? 

IronyOwl: Given that normal Paranormal games (at least, from what I've seen) typically have dopps as infiltrators in the town, how likely do you think it is that the xenos have infiltrators amongst the escapees? 

Imiknorris: Why exactly don't you care if there's a hivemind?

Jim: Assuming we have dopps and xeno infiltrators, which would you prioritize in trying to get rid of first?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2012, 02:41:54 am »

Everyone: If you can fly the ship, please say so.

TolyK: Why are you doubting the existence of a scumteam?
Can't fly the ship :/
But this is a bastard game, we can't be sure of anything, right?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2012, 03:14:16 am »

Flandre: No way this'll be so complicated that scumhunting won't work. It's mafia, someone has something to hide, and scumhunting will find that person and beat it out of them. The only game I was in where regular scumhunting lost out was GlyphGryph's quick mafia, and that's because I was the mute scum first and then became townie and knew exactly who was scum. Also, why did you want to attack TolyK even when you didn't have much on him, by your own admittance?

Irony: By technical, do you mean in the precision of my answer or in saying my initial reading? If the second, because it's my initial reading, subject to further clarification or information, such as for instance Meph answering the question without hesitation. If the first, then it's just me being me. Also, why the repeated insistence on voting Imiknorris? Desperate to get other people to vote him?

Imiknorris: To be clear, you are claiming that you are an alien, correct?

Book: If we reach the end before we clear out the dopps, what do you think will happen?
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2012, 03:19:33 am »

Sorry for double post... I didn't realize there are several pages of stuffs...  :-\
Fakeedit: Well, think posted while I was doing this, so no DP any more :P
Urist I: Do you think flavor will be a large part? If so, should we flavorclaim?
Tolyk, why do you ask someone else about what should you do?
... what? If I understand you correctly, you're implying that we *should* flavorclaim? Or are you implying that I'm asking what I'm supposed to do? Notice the plural "we"...

Tolyk: Would you take the pilots on their word about their claims? Why, or why not?
I would obviously take them with a grain, maybe even a spoonful, of salt. Because folks might think that pilot = don't lynch and don't kill, which it may or may not be true, and thus third party/unwanted factions might use that as cover-up. Also, as someone already mentioned, the dooplegangers might have a pilot of their own, even if the folks are telling the truth. There are too many unknowns and not enough equations.
IronyOwl, Flandre, Tolyk: If you were scumbuddies with vanilla roles, which one of you would you prefer execute the night kill? Why?
Uh... I'd likely be the most useless, so I'd expect them to figure out who to kill and for me to actually make the kill. That way if I'd be caught/whatever it would leave the better folks alive.
Bookthras:
IronyOwl, Flandre, Tolyk: If you were scumbuddies with vanilla roles, which one of you would you prefer execute the night kill? Why?
TolyK. He tends to be fairly lurky and useless, and while thus arguably ahead in some ways in RBing tendency, much less of a loss in the event of unexpected killing complications.
Yay, I'm lurky and useless... yfuck. I really got to work on that.  :-\ But basically what I said, so no worries. :P
I would trust IronyOwl's judgement over both my own and that of TolyK's, due mostly to his experience and my lack of conviction in making burdensome decisions on my own.
Not the right question, who would *execute* it, as in do the actual action, not the planning.
Quote from: Flandre
I know very little about TolyK, so he does not really get my consideration.

And Tolyk, your low activity, nervous answers, and that one defusing smiley makes me uncomfortable. I would continue attacking, but I ran out of material. 
... you're kidding me? I live in eastern Europe, so I can't be on at the same time as 3 pages of posts are made. And while agree that I use smileys too much (:P) I don't see how that's bad in a mafia game, other than it makes me look less serious.
Nervous answers? Examples? Anything? You "ran out of material", when you said "nervous answers" without actually telling me which ones they were. Funny, huh?

ToonyMan, do you think that dooplegangers ("scum") are the main concern, or should we be looking out for whoever's following us?
Finding scum is important, however we need to figure out how the bastard works as well.  Otherwise chance of (coherent) victory is slim.
Makes sense. Unvote.

Just a note to all, I'm sick IRL, and this is the first day I've gotten better. I'll try to read through again paying attention to posts even without my name on them. :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2012, 04:14:35 am »

Jim: Assuming we have dopps and xeno infiltrators, which would you prioritize in trying to get rid of first?

Interesting assumption. Is there anything that makes you think there are Xenozoologist infiltrators?

The doppelgangers' goals and our goals are the same, up to a certain point, i.e., escape. So, arguably, it's a better idea to go after any Xenozoologist infiltrators first. In practice, though, I don't think it matters and I don't think we should care. Getting rid of both of them is probably required for a town win.

Depending on how the first Run phase goes, we might have to change our priorities. The doppelgangers will predictably probably be able to gobble us up, but who knows what ways any potential Xenozoologist infiltrators will be able to trip us up.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2012, 05:25:25 am »

OOoooh Dariush how much do you hate Urist?
I'm pissing with steam
because of hating him.
Do you have any reasons for that?
I hate everyone.

Dariush: Do you intend on asking RVS questions, or are you content peeing on Urist with steam?
EBWOP: I apologise, Dariush. You asked some RVS questions a while ago.
Why do you care about RVS so much?

Tolyk, why do you ask someone else about what should you do?
... what? If I understand you correctly, you're implying that we *should* flavorclaim? Or are you implying that I'm asking what I'm supposed to do? Notice the plural "we"...
Where exactly did you see a recommendation of flavorclaiming in my question? Yes, I'm implying that you're asking what you're supposed to do. A question which you neatly skimmed over.

I just thought of something - if we're on a xenos' space station, where do the xenos get humans for feeding to the dopps?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2012, 09:40:44 am »

Imiknorris: Why exactly don't you care if there's a hivemind?
I'm immune to conversion.

Imiknorris: To be clear, you are claiming that you are an alien, correct?
Yep. Former survivor, escaped by means of my anti-tech field. I did not have a choice of tech.

More when I'm done with this lab.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2012, 11:00:46 am »

The Vote Tally
Flandre: Jim Groovester, Think0028
IronyOwl: Bookthras, Zrk2
Jim Groovester: Powder Miner
TolyK: Dariush, Urist Imiknorris
Urist Imiknorris: IronyOwl, Toaster

Run Phase ends ~5pm Pacific Friday
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2012, 11:02:26 am »

NativeForeigner, You stated that humans didn't have any pilots. I know this for a fact to be untrue. Because I myself am an Intelligence Scientist who gets no tech or tools BUT who because he's brilliant watched the ship on the way here and thinks he could fly it.

Unvote

NativeForeigner, where would you get the idea that humans don't have pilots?

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2012, 02:33:50 pm »

NativeForeigner, You stated that humans didn't have any pilots. I know this for a fact to be untrue. Because I myself am an Intelligence Scientist who gets no tech or tools BUT who because he's brilliant watched the ship on the way here and thinks he could fly it.

Unvote

NativeForeigner, where would you get the idea that humans don't have pilots?

That's different. Flavor-wise, humans have no need for pilots yet, so I assumed that there wouldn't be any human pilots. But I didn't think of a human watching the ship to try to learn how to fly it.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2012, 02:37:25 pm »

watched the ship on the way here and thinks he could fly it.
How exactly are you supposed to learn to pilot a spaceship by observing it, especially from inside a laboratory or wherever the fuck we are?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2012, 03:37:21 pm »

Native:
I thought it was clear that I don't think it's necessary to lynch Imiknorris at this time. If you expect me to take a stance on whether or not he's a dopp, I can't give you that at this moment.

Mmmk.

Since you claimed alien, what is your wincon?

Urist I:  Are you honestly trying to tell me that scum wouldn't be concerned with a hostile group of people voting and coordinating actions to eliminate their biggest threat... which would be a standard scum team?

So tell me what you really think, then: is two votes on someone during RVS a bandwagon or not?  Is it scummy or not?

Since you claimed alien, what is your wincon?

Shakerag:  Pretty low odds.  I don't agree that a human couldn't pilot a ship.  All those aliens had to get to Earth somehow, right?  Many of them didn't leave.

Dariush:  Perhaps he is an experienced pilot?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2012, 03:51:45 pm »

Think:
Book: If we reach the end before we clear out the dopps, what do you think will happen?
Good question. At a guess, we escape -- and, perhaps, technically win the "escape the station" part of the game -- but will get et on board pretty fast. So, I'm not sure, but good to keep in mind. Let me ask you the same question: what do you think would happen in that case?

Unvote.

I myself am an Intelligence Scientist who gets no tech or tools BUT who because he's brilliant watched the ship on the way here and thinks he could fly it.
Powder Miner: What motivated you to claim pilot at this time? If you were a dopp Scientist/pilot, would you make it a priority to eliminate the alien pilots, or would you go after others first? Why?

No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 63