Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necromancy books.  (Read 1064 times)

Hasse

• Bay Watcher
  • Mining Dwarf, always mines, nothing else!
    • View Profile
Necromancy books.
« on: February 17, 2012, 11:05:38 am »

I just raided an Necroman Tower and i got like 10 books but when im trying to read them comes this '' You Cannot Read '' . Any ideas how i can read them and become a necroman  :P

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancy books.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 11:12:04 am »

You have to spend some points on the new "Reading" skill upon character creation in order to read. (Two or even one point might be enough".

Means that you are out of luck. I suggest retiring that adventurer and killing him with a new one, who can read. Or drop them in an empty lair, memorize the position, and then pick them up with a new one.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 11:28:39 am »

Good god those towers have a lot of undead. I managed to clear one once by cheating a super legendary everything to sneak in and grab the book, and turned the undead against their masters. I'm trying to clear one now, and I've lost five characters. I'm pretty sure all the necromancers are dead because none of the dead are being revived, but when ever I come back to the tower it is full again.

There are corpses(ones I've taken out with my adventurers) everywhere four or five thick on the floor inside and surrounding the tower, and about twenty or thirty zombies per floor. Between them the adventurers have over 300 zombie kills.

I keep pulling them out, and killing them one at a time, but getting up those two level staircases without being slaughtered is impossible. If you set yourself to dodge they knock you off, and if you set yourself not to dodge they kill you.

Did I mention they have markszombies? They have markszombies.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Rawb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 11:35:47 am »

You have to spend some points on the new "Reading" skill upon character creation in order to read. (Two or even one point might be enough".

Means that you are out of luck. I suggest retiring that adventurer and killing him with a new one, who can read. Or drop them in an empty lair, memorize the position, and then pick them up with a new one.
Could I just modify my character somehow to add reading points on?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 11:48:47 am »

Could I just modify my character somehow to add reading points on?
You would have to wait for runesmith to update, i think.
then you could MAYBY fiddle a bit to give him reading skill.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 11:57:49 am »

Go into the world raws and mod in natural reading skills for your adventurer species.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 12:20:31 pm »

I don't think natural skills get added after the critter is generated. Think about it: They can then learn that skill better, for most skills, so the game can't check to make sure that the skill is where it is "supposed" to be. If that which you suggested would work, everyone with a natural skill would have it climb higher with each reload. That doesn't happen.

Drop the books in a lair. Clear the lair first, if you're picky.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.