Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 293839 times)

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #525 on: March 25, 2013, 06:01:52 pm »

Quick question: How to copy the prospect output?
Can't find the command/function.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

Irthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 25, 2013, 07:28:21 pm »

vjek, running this worldgen in Masterwork Dwarf Fortress (v2h) gave me different, but still interesting result. The number of squares that fit search criteria is way over twenty (if not times more), so I will will look them over with prospect at least (plenty of volcanoes!) .
No Raw adamantine whatsoever so far though, which contradicts with Wiki saying that adamantine must be generated on 3x3 embark, and I checked 16x16 ones.

Could you point out, what was the most vital for such map configuration (high elevation/low elevation extremes)? Short erosion cycle?

Also, built-in search shows no flux, dispite a great deal being there according do prospect, but this should probably be said in other thread.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:48:58 pm by Irthos »

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 26, 2013, 03:23:27 am »

Quick question: How to copy the prospect output?
Can't find the command/function.
Oh, found it.
Sadly, it is not, as I thought, a cliff, but still a very steep slope.
Embark now:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Prospect:
Yes, over 200k gold and a clown base above the circus.
I could see 3 or 4 tubes running down with reveal, one of them solid for 9 z-levels, 8 of them above the SMR.

Also, did I mention FREAKING 280k GOLD?
No iron for that, but with flux and goblinite, it should work out after a short while.
EDIT: CRAP FORGOT EMBARK XD :

EDIT 2: Ah yes, I modded out aquifers via LNP. Care for that!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:54:11 am by Frelus »
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 26, 2013, 09:17:23 am »

vjek, running this worldgen in Masterwork Dwarf Fortress (v2h) gave me different, but still interesting result. The number of squares that fit search criteria is way over twenty (if not times more), so I will will look them over with prospect at least (plenty of volcanoes!) .
No Raw adamantine whatsoever so far though, which contradicts with Wiki saying that adamantine must be generated on 3x3 embark, and I checked 16x16 ones.

Could you point out, what was the most vital for such map configuration (high elevation/low elevation extremes)? Short erosion cycle?

Also, built-in search shows no flux, dispite a great deal being there according do prospect, but this should probably be said in other thread.

With respect to adamantine, I saw lots of it in vanilla DF, so if that's not a masterwork thing, I have no answer.

As far as configuration goes, I was trying to find rivers near mountains originally (as opposed to rivers through mountains) so that's why I went with those numbers.  Using 3200 variance creates a lot of biome diversity, and ideally very low next to very high for all parameters.  A larger number of unique regions allows for more megabeasts, semi-megabeasts, titans, and forgotten beasts, as each one requires their own region during worldgen.  So if you want a lot of them, you need to have a lot of regions.

I've found a few spots with rivers slicing through hills, producing 7-Z cliffs on either side, but nothing with that plus an elevated region above.  As you've mentioned, the only place this occurs is where two rivers meet, so it's a bit of a needle in the haystack search, to find everything, plus a high-Z disparity between two rivers, and one of them not a brook.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 26, 2013, 11:06:35 am »

Gah, forgot to post the embark site in my last post.  Here are the parameters again, for reference sake:

Spoiler: World Gen Parameters (click to show/hide)

Here's the embark site, screencapped in default graphics.

Spoiler: Embark (click to show/hide)

That 4x4 site contains:
-Soil, including sand, fire clay, and kaolinite.  Lots of kaolinite, actually (nearly 30k).  Coupled with the glass and fire clay, you've got the makings of a powerful porcelain and pottery industry, no glaze required (which is good because the tin ore on site sucks).
-Nickel ore (155k+ ore), for a plentiful and cheap local source of magma-resistant metal.  That's not a typo.
-Lots of precious metals: 134k (also not a typo) tetrahedrite for copper (and silver), 23k galena (for lead and silver), 20k gold, and even a sliver of native platinum.  There is some tin ore on site, so a host of metalcrafting options present themselves here.
-Plentiful on-site magma safe stone, flux (71k limestone, 204k marble), though only 5k hematite on hand.  I suggest saving your iron and goblinite for steel production, though 5,000 bars of steel might be enough to satisfy most fort demands.
-267 rock crystals, in case you feel like making crystal glass as well.
-orthoclase, microcline, and cobaltite are very plentiful as well, for all you fans of color-coding,  Some rutile as well, but sadly no olivine or bauxite (though if you don't fancy making porcelain, there's plenty of kaolinite for your red block needs).
-All major races nearby, including kobold thieves.  Don't underestimate them; my first embark was hit by kobold ambushers in my first spring, catastrophically affecting my fledgling fort.  No necromancer tower, though.
-Sorry, no surface magma or on-site fuel sources aside from the trees.  There are a lot of trees in the non-mountain biomes, though (and magma deep down, about 120 z levels below surface).  So I guess if you're a REAL dwarf, there's plenty of on site fuel.
-As mentioned before, the site has a brook and small waterfall as well.

And for you veterans who want something a little hard to find in your embark...

EDIT: Really liking this site the more I try it.  I'm considering an AAR for the community games section using this site, it's been so fun (and Fun).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:34:57 pm by Urist_McArathos »
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

ZeroMcUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 28, 2013, 07:58:44 pm »

Hello!

What is a good advanced world gen setting for a world that is desert-heavy? Having a narrow band of life would be a bonus. Think Athas (not quite Dune, but getting there).

If you want entirely sand (white, black, red, yellow) desert with just one polar region...
Rainfall of zero min, zero max.
Drainage of zero min, 32 max.

Spoiler: sandworld worldgen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: sand world picture (click to show/hide)
Various random gens of that world produce similar results.  A mountainous central region prevents lake formation almost everywhere, in these worlds.  Without it, you can get numerous small lakes forming, despite zero rain.  Of course, you need to provide a mountainous region as well, but that's taken care of in what I've provided.

The worldgen can be tweaked to have just one big desert (or close to it), but this one has more variety.

And finally, here's an example that just produces badlands, rather than sand deserts, for comparison.

There are no random lakes, are there? Is there water in the caverns?

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 02, 2013, 09:54:16 am »

I'm looking for the elusive combination of river and volcano.  Can anybody give me some tips for how to gen a world where this is more likely? (I understand it's going to be a rare combo, regardless.)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 02, 2013, 10:24:31 am »

Not sure I can offer any tips that would make a difference other than: ensure you have flowing water on every region and then max out your volcanos to try and get them together.  This will likely require 100/100 min/max volcanism on some world sizes.

Here are four prior embarks I've made with a volcano and flowing water, together (varying sizes, features, etc)

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101280.msg3878516#msg3878516
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101280.msg3873540#msg3873540
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101280.msg3867836#msg3867836
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101280.msg3246392#msg3246392

There may be some common parameters in there to help.

Irthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 02, 2013, 10:35:46 am »

Depends on embark size by the looks of it. Brute force is getting Perfect world, genning world there and setting river and volcano number to something high - 200 volcanoes and 140 rivers worked for me (keep in mind, it is a fixed number of volcanoes you will get).

I got a volcano + river in a 4 by 4 embark with them sitting on the borders.

I suspect that erosion may be help as well, but I am not sure.

Lastly, I read about adding volcano to an already generated world, but have not found this post yet.

In regard to my prior posts, I managed to generate a map with Masterwork DF v2h, with river, volcano, plenty of trees, couple of hills (clay mainly), ore and flux.

Got an even better map (3x3 embark with all above), but it was genned (alas) with simple minerals turned on and I dumped it.

The_Jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 02, 2013, 01:57:45 pm »

Gah, forgot to post the embark site in my last post.  Here are the parameters again, for reference sake:

Spoiler: World Gen Parameters (click to show/hide)

Here's the embark site, screencapped in default graphics.

Spoiler: Embark (click to show/hide)

That 4x4 site contains:
-Soil, including sand, fire clay, and kaolinite.  Lots of kaolinite, actually (nearly 30k).  Coupled with the glass and fire clay, you've got the makings of a powerful porcelain and pottery industry, no glaze required (which is good because the tin ore on site sucks).
-Nickel ore (155k+ ore), for a plentiful and cheap local source of magma-resistant metal.  That's not a typo.
-Lots of precious metals: 134k (also not a typo) tetrahedrite for copper (and silver), 23k galena (for lead and silver), 20k gold, and even a sliver of native platinum.  There is some tin ore on site, so a host of metalcrafting options present themselves here.
-Plentiful on-site magma safe stone, flux (71k limestone, 204k marble), though only 5k hematite on hand.  I suggest saving your iron and goblinite for steel production, though 5,000 bars of steel might be enough to satisfy most fort demands.
-267 rock crystals, in case you feel like making crystal glass as well.
-orthoclase, microcline, and cobaltite are very plentiful as well, for all you fans of color-coding,  Some rutile as well, but sadly no olivine or bauxite (though if you don't fancy making porcelain, there's plenty of kaolinite for your red block needs).
-All major races nearby, including kobold thieves.  Don't underestimate them; my first embark was hit by kobold ambushers in my first spring, catastrophically affecting my fledgling fort.  No necromancer tower, though.
-Sorry, no surface magma or on-site fuel sources aside from the trees.  There are a lot of trees in the non-mountain biomes, though (and magma deep down, about 120 z levels below surface).  So I guess if you're a REAL dwarf, there's plenty of on site fuel.
-As mentioned before, the site has a brook and small waterfall as well.

And for you veterans who want something a little hard to find in your embark...

EDIT: Really liking this site the more I try it.  I'm considering an AAR for the community games section using this site, it's been so fun (and Fun).

This is a pretty awesome site, thanks Urist_McArathos. Looking through the embark I wanted to point out that there is actually magma 53 levels down from surface level in the second cavern layer. There are also several other magma tubes present, although they are farther down. Also, if anyone wants to run this embark as a 3x3, if you cut out the right and bottom you keep all of the important features except for the waterfall (which if you are running a smaller size for fps you might not want anyway). Cuts down most of the resources as well, but still plenty of everything (biggest reduction seems to be hematite, from 5000 to 2500).

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 03, 2013, 07:10:43 pm »

Can anyone here help me with genning a world with nice big open caverns for my fort? Im hoping to do an underground fortress thingamathing but i can't seem to make my caverns any bigger or smaller even with the advanced worldgen parameter cavern meddling.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

Zanthra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 03, 2013, 08:03:07 pm »

Anyone have an embark in a good biome with sand, and lots of flux and iron ore?  Source of freshwater prefered, but no aquifer over the whole map.  I would prefer to not have an evil biome in the embark region, but I am okay with very large embark regions.

Thanks!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 04, 2013, 12:27:34 am »

Anyone have an embark in a good biome with sand, and lots of flux and iron ore?  Source of freshwater prefered, but no aquifer over the whole map.  I would prefer to not have an evil biome in the embark region, but I am okay with very large embark regions.

Thanks!

Here you go, Zanthra.

Highlights:
3x2 embark size
Joyous Wilds
Tropical Coniferous Forest
Clay
Sand
Brook
Magnetite/Hematite/Limonite (5k+)
Dolomite (32k+)
Coal/Lignite (3k+)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: April 04, 2013, 11:54:27 pm »

I finally got myself a waterfall and volcano in one embark -- albeit only a 1-z waterfall and I had to extend to a 5x4 embark.
This site has sand, clay, 6679 hematite, 3379 native gold and a dash of aluminum, lots of trees, warm climate, untamed wilds (sponge men and river otter men were present when I embarked).  It's got contact with all the usual humanoids, but not with a necromancer tower.

Parameters:

If you use a random seed, these parameters seem good for getting the elusive waterfall/volcano combination.  I started by simply upping the minimum # of volcanos and of rivers, but generated 20 worlds or so without any promising sites.  Then I fiddled with "volcanism x-variance" and "volcanism y-variance" whatever that means, and suddenly I had lots of volcanos near rivers and river forks.  (That's where you usually find waterfalls: where one river meets another.)  I found another site that required a way-too-big embark rectangle, then two worlds later I found this site.

Zanthra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 05, 2013, 01:03:25 pm »

Ah, very cool vjek, Thank you!
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 62