Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 293788 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #885 on: March 25, 2014, 02:30:06 pm »

Hey !

This is my first post here, I have been looking for a specific map for a very long time for a megaproject !

What i would like is :

- A river that runs through multiple Z levels through waterfalls (20 lvls would be nice)
- A warm biome or at least a river that nevers freezes
- A volcano
- Iron
- Flux & Sand would be a nice bonus

I want to dam & divert the river trought the entire fortress

Thanks 8)
Ok, this is the closest match I've found, so far (in a 3x3)
Two rivers (one waterfalling into the other, an 8Z drop)
Warm Biome
Volcano
Iron
Sand (and fire clay)
No Flux

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If this isn't what you meant, or this isn't what you were looking for, please clarify.  :D

Nevrast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: March 26, 2014, 02:37:23 pm »

Vjek you are amazing !  :D

This map is beautiful  ! Perfect spot to get back to DF. I'll try to use both side of the canyon and divert the upper river underground. My dwarfs will probably all end up drowned ...

Thank you !

Ranalcus i would also be interested in such a map, coulb you provide a seed or a save ?  ;D

Ranalcus

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Model Kit Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 27, 2014, 12:27:11 am »

@Neverast
Sorry I am looking for it by myself, and do Map Generator !!SCIENCE!! by myself (with ekhm... "not adequate results").
But when (not IF) I will success with it (by myself or with help of other people) then I will post it here ASAP.

P.S. TFW you play a Vanilia DF at work, and everyone thinks that you use our company accounting program xD
Mountainhome Stong!
Remove Tree-Fondling-Hippies!

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: March 29, 2014, 02:29:20 pm »

I'm having trouble reproducing a world that I created. It had an embark point with 5 biomes (some duplication, but 3/5 were untamed wilds), a volcano in a 40z+ sheer cliff, and a brook that ran almost parallel to the cliff all in a 3x5. It was a beautiful site, but I wanted a longer history and more titans/vamps/werecreatures in the world. But I can't get it to regen from the seed.
I suspect that the problem is that it went through 10 rejections on the initial gen, until I allowed the rejection. It still does this on regen, and the resulting geography is never the same even if I don't change the parameters at all.
So, is there a way to turn off rejections? And will I get the correct geography if I do? If I can manage to reliably reproduce the world I'll gladly share.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: March 29, 2014, 03:25:58 pm »

Sorry, m-logik, after I verified rejections cause cross-platform issues, I stopped gen'ing worlds with them.

I have no idea what the consequences are or difficulties will be with what you're trying to do.   :-\

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: March 29, 2014, 05:32:28 pm »

Well, I got the world to gen without rejections by upping the maximum subregions above the cap in the .txt. Unfortunately, it did not successfully recreate the embark location, so I guess this is a one-off embark.

Unknown_User

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: April 11, 2014, 08:34:31 pm »

So I'm looking for the stereotypical dwarfy world, something good to get back into dwarf fortress with. 

I want it somewhat mountainous, with a volcano and a brook or river, and everything needed to make steel (coal would be awesome, but trees do just handily in a pinch), with prefererably a small embark zone (up to 3v3 to save on FPS death later on...).  I'd like it somewhat cooler in climate, the water could freeze.  Plenty of baddies/savagery would be wonderful as well. 

All those last points aren't really too necessary.  Just the first sentence is the important part.

I've got something similar to this, but it's warmer, calm, and on a 5v5, so I'd like to downsize a bit.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: April 12, 2014, 11:49:31 am »

So I'm looking for the stereotypical dwarfy world, something good to get back into dwarf fortress with. 

I want it somewhat mountainous, with a volcano and a brook or river, and everything needed to make steel (coal would be awesome, but trees do just handily in a pinch), with prefererably a small embark zone (up to 3v3 to save on FPS death later on...).  I'd like it somewhat cooler in climate, the water could freeze.  Plenty of baddies/savagery would be wonderful as well. 

All those last points aren't really too necessary.  Just the first sentence is the important part.

I've got something similar to this, but it's warmer, calm, and on a 5v5, so I'd like to downsize a bit.
search this thread for: 2x2 volcano
and you'll find some good matches

PLANKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 13, 2014, 01:16:17 am »

There may already be a embark in the thread with what I want already. If so point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for an embark with the following:
Flat 4x4
near/at/flat surface Volcano
Water source bigger than a brook. So river?
Flux
Lots of Iron and Gold
Sand
I like trees
At least 50 levels between the surface and the first cavern layer.
3 caverns for fun
All Civs would be nice with plenty of gobos

I hope its not too hard to get a volcano at the surface with such a large gap between the first cavern and the surface.

Cheers

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 13, 2014, 02:08:49 am »

Most worlds are generated with the default amount of layers between surface and caverns, and caverns and caverns.
This default is between 2 and 5. It's easy to check it out in the world gen parameters (advanced world gen, 'e', then go down until you find 'Z-levels above' parameters).
I don't think people have genned a 50 levels above cavern 1 world here.

Otherwise: Worldgen science!

Temperature:
I didn't know some of this!
Fun worldgen temperature facts (that you won't find on the wiki):

- If you gen an area with [TEMPERATURE:0:0:0:0] i.e. max, min, and both variances are zero, you can see how latitude, elevation, and rainfall affect the temperatures.
- Temperature is strongly affected by latitude, and to a lesser degree the other factors including the random variances introduced by the player (unless you enter absurdly large max or min numbers).
- The difference between winter and summer temperatures is zero at the top and bottom of the map, and linearly grows to a peak of about 30 U (40 W) difference in the central temperate zones.
- The normal temperature is the seaside summer temperature. Elevation or time of year (in temperate areas) subtracts from this temperature.
- High rainfall (over 66) can reduce a scorching/hot area to hot or warm.
- The elevation and rainfall changes happen during worldgen and are reflected in the exported temperature map. The exported temperature map shows the summer temperatures for temperate areas.
- The maximum temperature worldwide is capped at the worldgen max+25 (in W units). No such logic exists for minimum temperatures. While this was probably implemented to solve the fat-melting bug, it can also be used to enforce a global freezing.

Worldgen_temperature * 0.75 + 10000 = degrees Urist

In worldgen units:
Code: [Select]
-0    freezing
0-15  cold
15-50 temperate
50-75 warm
75-90 hot
90+   scorching

Mineral scarcity:
Changing the mineral scarcity will influence the EVIL in the world!

Consider this: using the HOT WORLD gen (it's a flat volcano + tower + sand + a HUGE finger of rock planted for no reason) I published earlier in this thread and without changing anything else, going from 100 to 1000 to 10 000 to 100 000 mineral scarcity changed history (which is not surprising) and made the tower disappear.
More surprising however, is the fact that evilness changed, and that regions which had been good turned to evil, and neutral turned to good etc. I can't explain this. If evilness were random, then seeds would give worlds of rndom evilness. But since evilness obviously isn't random, why would changing mineral scarcity (and only mineral scarcity) change evilness?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: April 13, 2014, 09:14:06 am »

I'm looking for a site to try and build megaprojects in, but I haven't been able to reliably gen one. I'm aiming for a flat map with a partial aquifer, preferably with a large amount of iron, coal, flux and gold/silver. If I can I'd like to embark near a tower/with a partially reanimating biome.
Any tips for genning this kind of site? I'm having difficulty trying to arrange for the stone layers I want and keeping it flat without making dwarves rare/extinct, which is problematic as I'm trying to run very long worldgens and they don't hold up too good.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: April 13, 2014, 09:54:52 am »

There may already be a embark in the thread with what I want already. If so point me in the right direction.

Flat 4x4
Flux
Lots of Iron and Gold
Sand
I like trees
3 caverns for fun

I hope its not too hard to get a volcano at the surface with such a large gap between the first cavern and the surface.

Cheers
One of these should be close, PLANKS.  Cryptplunges, in particular, looks like it matches on almost everything..

PLANKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: April 13, 2014, 05:05:47 pm »

Flat 4x4
Flux
Lots of Iron and Gold
Sand
I like trees
3 caverns for fun

Cheers
One of these should be close, PLANKS.  Cryptplunges, in particular, looks like it matches on almost everything..

Thanks I'll give it try.

vidboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: April 13, 2014, 06:09:11 pm »

Flat 4x4
Flux
Lots of Iron and Gold
Sand
I like trees
3 caverns for fun

Cheers

Thanks I'll give it try.

You should be a able to change the minimum distance between cavern layers without changing the surface geography, although it may affect minerals. Changing the mineral scaricty value even by 1 will completely change the minerals present without changing the geography so you can experiment with this until you find the right minerals on your embark.

PLANKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: April 14, 2014, 02:04:32 am »

Yeah I changed it to 55 its great.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62