Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 293837 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #555 on: April 18, 2013, 09:35:05 am »

So I've been trying to make some sort of a "circus-on-earth" world with lots of volcanism, HUGE mountain ranges, extremely high temperatures and high as hell savagery. (also, visible, always max-sized cave systems).

...But I just can't make it work. (maybe because of the Fun overload).
Help?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: April 18, 2013, 10:28:01 am »

DarkDXZ,

Likely it's due to the high savagery.  Dwarves won't settle a mountainhome in a highly savage tile, so you need to provide at least one place for them that doesn't have savagery in it.
There's a few ways to do that, but get the world just right with zero savagery (0 min/0 max), first, and then crank it up slowly to approach your goal.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 18, 2013, 12:07:58 pm »

Anybody know how to generate sheer cliffs?  The only cliffs I've ever seen in the game are cut by rivers accompanying waterfalls.  I'd like to try a desert or badlands map with a tall cliff to try and build a fort in the style of ancient Indian cliff dwellings.  Even better would be if the biomes were different on both sides of the cliff, for example if the top was forest and the bottom was desert, or vice versa.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 18, 2013, 01:03:48 pm »

I'm actually pretty interested in a "dry" cliff map, too. I'd love to have a cliff face like 23a but 3D.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 18, 2013, 02:53:06 pm »

Only luck I've had finding cliffs like that not accompanied by a large waterway is where lowlands meet extreme mountains. Aim for a highly mountainous world with high elevation variance, perhaps.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: April 20, 2013, 01:15:29 pm »

Well, apparently I'm unable to make a world on reverse side of the temperature spectrum - temperature always below 0 (aiming for -20 being maximum, and -80 minimum), but something just doesn't allow me to gen it. (turns out it's swamps and marshes, but it still refuses to generate despite no rainfall, drainage and me disabling wetlands in the parameters screen).

Help?
Edit. It's always some sort of biome that I forgot to tick off. (also, apparently glaciers require high drainage)

Nevermind the entire post, it works now.
Ultimate arctic fun, here I come!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 01:19:33 pm by DarkDXZ »

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: April 24, 2013, 06:30:28 am »

Hello!
I'm looking for a freezing map, really freezing. Meaning dwarves die if they stay outside too much.
Preferably Frozen Ocean, Glacier is nice too. Some metals.
Volcano, Necromancers, Wars if you can. Volcano being the most important of the three.

Is that possible?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 24, 2013, 09:55:02 am »

Should be possible, Fluoman.  I'll be able to make a few attempts this evening. (in about 8 hours)
Any preferences regarding elevation, good/evil/savagery?  Do you want trees on the non-ocean surface, or just ice/snow?

--
EDIT

Ok, this is kind of cool.  While looking for an embark for Fluoman, I came across something I've never seen before.

A single cavern.
A candy spire.
A candy spire that spiked THROUGH and HIGHER than the single cavern.

Up to this point, I've never seen a spire with a single cavern, never mind higher than it and/or through it, and the reason is...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's the worldgen
and here's the embark location.

If someone could verify these results, that would be much appreciated.  I want to be sure this isn't a one time thing or some strange glitch.   :-\
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 03:55:58 pm by vjek »

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 24, 2013, 05:30:59 pm »

hm. well It would be smart of me to actually have DFhack installed when I try to replicate...

*looks horrified* Yep, repeatable.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: April 24, 2013, 05:34:38 pm »

Nice!  Now I have a new goal... heheheh.   8)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: April 26, 2013, 12:05:36 am »

Hello!
I'm looking for a freezing map, really freezing. Meaning dwarves die if they stay outside too much.
Preferably Frozen Ocean, Glacier is nice too. Some metals.
Volcano, Necromancers, Wars if you can. Volcano being the most important of the three.

Is that possible?

I spent some time trying to get all the features, but it's pretty tricky.  There's a few variables that would take a very long time to line up.  In any case, I found glacier, steel industry (hematite + dolomite), volcano, necromancers (4 towers as neighbors), goblins, and very cold.  9908U, to be precise.  Wood starts taking frost damage at 9900, so I figured that was a reasonable temperature.

Of course, you can drive the temp down and keep trying to find something more challenging, but here's what I found:

Just change the seeds to random to try and find something more to your liking, if this isn't ideal.   :D

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: April 26, 2013, 03:15:10 am »

Thanks for the help everyone :)
I'm glad someone found an interesting candy spire during his/her attempts  8)

Edit for science!
Interesting fact: changing mineral scarcity has changed the number of towers popping on the map.

Edit again, for knowledge's sake:
How did you manage to generate a world with mountain peaks (necessary for dwarven society) when max altitude was 350, and without setting the minimum number of mountain peaks?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 09:39:22 am by Fluoman »
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Trev_lite

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes the forum for its helpful members
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: April 30, 2013, 12:48:12 am »

i think i found an embark side that is good enough that i should share it.

-1z lava on a flat volcano
river
sand
marble (flux)
gold
iron
1.5k candy
would share prospect but don't know how

seed

site

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: April 30, 2013, 09:39:41 am »

... Edit again, for knowledge's sake:
How did you manage to generate a world with mountain peaks (necessary for dwarven society) when max altitude was 350, and without setting the minimum number of mountain peaks?
From what I've seen, the X and Y variance values are essentially distribution values.  My impression is, the lower the value, the more adjacent the distribution (1 1 1 1 1 1 1) whereas the higher the value, the more varied the distribution (1 100 1 100 1 100).  The variance will use the min and max of each (in this case, elevation) to produce it's values.

I use 350 just to get mountains, but not peaks.  Despite what some people claim, a peak is not required for the mountainhome, just a mountain biome.  Given you can't grow crops on a mountain biome, I'm not a fan of them for embark locations, so I try to keep them to the absolute minimum required.  You could use 301 max elevation, and it would potentially work, but you might get a few more rejections until you got a few adjacent mountain tiles.

The other method is to use a 10% max elevation weighted range for the high elevations.  That is, 9,0,0,0,1, so 90% of the elevation is within 0-20% of the distributed values, none for 20-40, none for 40-60, none for 60-80, and then 10% for 80-100%.  What this means in practice is 90% of the world will be lowland, and only 10% will be highland.  If you use no variance with this,  you can make a very flat thin world for most of it, and give the mountainhome it's 10% mountains it needs to start.

Of course, with a single line in the raws, all of that is unnecessary and dwarves will use any biome, but still... gotta keep the vanilla folks happy.  :D

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: April 30, 2013, 10:12:20 am »

Hey vjek, been watching this thread for awhile now.  You're a saint, for both your worldgen-fu and for helping out so many people.  Could I make a suggestion?  When the next DF version come out, please race to be the one to start the next worldgen thread, and I would dearly love it if you could use that first post to (over time) provide a mind dump of all the useful tricks and such that you know of to generate all these desired world features.  A single thread where people can not only discuss and share seeds (as its always been), but also something we can easily refer to and use as a reference for doing it ourselves, would be phenomenal!
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 62