Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28

Author Topic: The Spellbook - Community Interaction Repository  (Read 139584 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: The Spellbook - Community Interaction Repository
« Reply #180 on: February 26, 2012, 10:48:40 pm »

Very potent sleeping syndrome, hurray! Puts even bronze colossi, forgotten beasts and whatnot into a comfy nap.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Very amusing watching armies of undead and necromancer colossi all snore away harmlessly in arena mode, thinking of making a somewhat less potent for use during dwarf mode.

So, not adding AFFECTED_CLASS (or is it SYN_AFFECTED) makes it affect EVERYONE?

Exactelly. Took a few tries to find out that SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:ALL didnt work (it tried to find class ALL...) Removing it entirely skips the check entirly. I like such logical stuff.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 26, 2012, 10:54:41 pm »

But it puts them to sleep despite them having NO_SLEEP?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 26, 2012, 11:24:37 pm »

@Burnme, that was all good stuff, thank you!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 27, 2012, 01:20:02 am »

Anyone have an idea how to do a laser vision interaction? It would be perfect for Super Hero mod
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 27, 2012, 01:52:54 am »

More testing results:

• [CDI:MATERIAL:BLAH:UNDIRECTED_VAPOR] - Turns BLAH material into vapor, which explodes outward from the user in an area effect. Much more reliable than TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW.
  • [CDI:MATERIAL:BLAH:UNDIRECTED_GAS] - Turns BLAH material into gas, which explodes outward from the user in an area effect. Much more reliable than TRAILING_GAS_FLOW.

A spell with peculiar properties... cryo web spell

The interaction:

The material:

As I suspected, and stated as much in my previous post, using a material with particular properties in the WEB_SPRAY emission yields interesting results. In the case of this Cryoweb spell, it shoots a sticky web as normal, paralyzing anyone in range, but because the material has those specific properties, the web remnants then explode into clouds of freezing liquid. If the material had syndromes attached, this could do even more things all at once. Neat.

Do the webs instantly evaporate, or is there a wait period/trigger, like stepping on them?  Either way, I'm totally using this.  If it waits until someone steps on the webs, then it should even provide a safe(-ish) way of using the Arctic Wind spell.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

RysanMarquise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 27, 2012, 02:33:02 am »

It immediately chain vaporizes. Webbing only occurs in the first instant. That said, it does succeed in having a bit of a delay making it vastly safer for applying syndromes than traditional directed gasses.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 27, 2012, 02:38:10 am »

Yeah, I've just done some testing with it, and I can confirm that it immediately flash-boils and also doesn't cause regular frostbite.  Once I put in my custom frostbite syndrome, it becomes much more powerful, as long as you back away as soon as you cast it.
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 27, 2012, 02:42:15 am »

Anyone know a way to apply an interaction to only one gender. The method I've got now is kind of weird (one strain is male, one is female, neither cares who's gender they switch.

RysanMarquise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 27, 2012, 02:45:04 am »

For what its worth, it does very slightly decrease the temperature in an area. It becomes much more lethal in already cold locations.

Increasing that effect has proven hard at best. Tests have yet to even double frostbite rates in controlled instances.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 27, 2012, 03:05:54 am »

Okay, now I'm having some trouble with a syndrome.  No matter what I do, I can't get this syndrome to reliably appear, nor can I get any of the effects beyond paralysis (even that's rare, especially when inhaled).
Code: [Select]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:frostbite]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:HUMAN_WINGED:ALL]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:CORRUPT:ALL]
[SYN_INJECTED]

[SYN_INHALED]

[SYN_CONTACT]
[CE_PARALYSIS:SEV:50:PROB:100:SIZE_DILUTES:START:1:PEAK:10:END:20]

[CE_BLEEDING:SEV:20:PROB:100:SIZE_DILUTES:LOCALIZED:BP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:START:1:PEAK:50:END:300]

[CE_NECROSIS:SEV:50:PROB:100:SIZE_DILUTES:LOCALIZED:BP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:START:1:PEAK:50:END:300]

The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 27, 2012, 03:42:57 am »

Okay, now I'm having some trouble with a syndrome.  No matter what I do, I can't get this syndrome to reliably appear, nor can I get any of the effects beyond paralysis (even that's rare, especially when inhaled).
The severity is way way too low.  And it has a peak at 50, so throughout most of the syndrome it is even lower than stated. 

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 27, 2012, 03:54:57 am »

So, I was messing around the COUNTER_TRIGGER tag, and it has some pretty amazing uses for vampire-types.  Basically, you can have any syndrome start when you first drink blood-- even syndromes that allow you to do interactions.  So, for example, this:
...will allow you to learn the fireball spell after drinking blood, be able to use it once, and then forget it a short time later. 
If other values than DRINKING_BLOOD are allowed for the trigger, it's even more useful. I'm still trying to figure out what all those other values are. The 1 is how long it lasts. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 03:59:04 am by The Grackle »

RysanMarquise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 27, 2012, 04:20:30 am »

Fantastic discovery. It achieves the goal I was hoping for of requiring some form of reagent.

I look forward to your potential discoveries of other tags.

Right now I have been messing around with the ANIMATE ability, as everyone requires one to ever build towers.

I have discovered that transformations immediately after it can be a bit glitchy, but that it is very easy to make temporary corpses just by leaving some of the natural vulnerabilities in them. Super-fast super-deadly corpses that will bleed to death makes for an interesting effect. Likewise, it might be possible to make them one-use through the targeting and manipulation of has-blood tags.

I am looking forward to a variety of spell-casters, many of which only incidentally have animation abilities and some of which effectively do not at all.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 27, 2012, 05:05:41 am »

Building on the whole "interactions pass on syndromes pass on interactions" mechanic, one might make creatures with body mats that bestow interactions through a contact/ingestion syndrome - i.e. you could have a "Wand of Fireball" by wielding a Fire Salamander bone, or you could turn the bones into a ring and have a Ring of Fireball, or you could drink its blood to throw the fireballs for a brief time.

This makes Nethack-style intrinsic effects from eating creatures a possibility.

Re: novel webs, the Wisdom secret has a basic mat web that's a bit different.  It trips the target up but quickly melts into puddles of "water laced with water" which is odd, since it implies each web has its own material source, like creatures do with their blood.

Spoiler: Basic water mat web (click to show/hide)
The quick cooldown needs to be altered.  I'll continue to science.

In the meanwhile I went a bit daft and made some Cheese interactions in preparation for the SPHERE:FOOD secret.  These can be pasted into a creature raw for instant access to the cheesy wonder.  The cheese webs dissolve into melted cheese after tripping the targets, a few webs get left behind and melt when collected.

There's no hardcoded lightning, but by adding it as an inorganic mat you could make regional lightning storms and such.  I don't know any way to do lightning besides a custom material, but a modded flame template works in a pinch.  The visibility of fire and lightning comes from hot and ionized gases, so it may help to think of the materials as those gases and not the combustion / electrical discharge itself.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 27, 2012, 07:12:36 am »

You CAN learn secrets that don't have the animate corpse interaction via slabs.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 28