Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28

Author Topic: The Spellbook - Community Interaction Repository  (Read 139565 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: The Spellbook - Community Interaction Repository
« Reply #150 on: February 25, 2012, 02:41:37 pm »

I adore this thread. I'm starting now on a mod that will permit one to learn magic similar to how necromancy is learned. Anyone can learn the new spells as long as they have CAN_LEARN and CAN_SPEAK.

I used Gizogin's ice spike spell and Lordinquisitor's fireball spell as tests, so props to them. They're grouped together for the moment.

Spoiler: The Test Interaction (click to show/hide)

Gizogin's material definition was also necessary.

That being said, they are pretty god damned powerful in their current state, from arena mode tests. The fireball is a 100% guarantee of becoming toast, and the ice spike breaks bones on impact. (didn't check to see if the syndrome was taking effect) They each require a 1 turn interval between uses.

The ice spike generally won't apply the syndrome, due to some quirk of how the game handles projectiles.  It's like how arrows fired from a bow essentially disappear unless they lodge in a target or fall down a z-level.  If an ice spike manages to get stuck in the target, then it'll evaporate and apply the syndrome (also regular frostbite, I think).  Should you launch it upwards, it will fall back down as a puddle of freezing spray, which you can then pick up.  Doing this will cause it to immediately evaporate, which will kill you if you haven't made the proper accommodations.

If you manage to get this working as a secret-thing in regular gameplay, please let me know, 'cause I can't get it working for the life of me.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 02:53:06 pm by Gizogin »
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 25, 2012, 03:43:26 pm »

I got it working by adding [IS_SECRET_GOAL:IMMORTALITY] below [IS_SPHERE:WISDOM].  It seems to be necessary to get secrets to generate.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You may want to add [CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:mage:mages:mage:START:0] to the syndrome as well so they could be spotted.

NineFourEightSeven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 25, 2012, 04:20:51 pm »

It turns out that doing an interaction wrong turns you into a toad. I really have no idea what I am doing.

I tried to give a creature an ability to temporarily gain strength and size and visciousness, pretty much a RAGE ability

This is in the creature:

This is in the Interaction:

Instead, it just turns them into a toad.
So, I need help fixing it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:27:06 pm by NineFourEightSeven »

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2012, 04:29:51 pm »

Think you need to get rid of the;

[CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:0]
         [CE_REMOVE_TAG:EQUIPS:START:0:END:200]

It's choosing toad because that's the first creature in the raws.

NineFourEightSeven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2012, 04:34:03 pm »

Whoops, I meant to remove that transformation line, I also wanted them to drop all items, so it's like they got too big and angry to wear/use anything.

edit:
Removed those lines, no more toad, but he doesn't get any stronger or bigger or bloodthirsty.

edit 2:
Turns out "average strength" doesn't show syndrome effected stats, as they become part of the creature itself.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:20:01 pm by NineFourEightSeven »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 25, 2012, 05:15:07 pm »

I got it working by adding [IS_SECRET_GOAL:IMMORTALITY] below [IS_SPHERE:WISDOM].  It seems to be necessary to get secrets to generate.

You may want to add [CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:mage:mages:mage:START:0] to the syndrome as well so they could be spotted.

Oh wow, thanks! Accursed formatting...

Turns out that's identical to what I did my second attempt, except I forgot to change the phrase "the secrets of life and death" so I'd never have known that I'd found it :P

Can you think of any other way to perform lightning-based magic ebsides a flame material with a syndrome like you used in your golem? (or whatever it was)

Other basic elements in common fantasy magic like metal darts and earth-based attacks could be done... Perhaps air and water as well.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:21:18 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 25, 2012, 06:43:52 pm »

The ice spike generally won't apply the syndrome, due to some quirk of how the game handles projectiles.  It's like how arrows fired from a bow essentially disappear unless they lodge in a target or fall down a z-level.  If an ice spike manages to get stuck in the target, then it'll evaporate and apply the syndrome (also regular frostbite, I think).  Should you launch it upwards, it will fall back down as a puddle of freezing spray, which you can then pick up.  Doing this will cause it to immediately evaporate, which will kill you if you haven't made the proper accommodations.

If you manage to get this working as a secret-thing in regular gameplay, please let me know, 'cause I can't get it working for the life of me.

You could use spatter_liquid or spatter_dust emissions.  That will make puddles of a material appear in target squares. It won't strike a target creature, but it will stick to feet or evaporate or whatever.

HySh777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2012, 06:52:38 pm »

Wow. I should really read through the other posts.

Fixed my problem! XD
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 06:55:53 pm by HySh777 »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 26, 2012, 02:24:06 am »

I've got an update on my project:

Ice and fire spells were tweaked, and lightning was added. I may create a thread for it anyway.
The lightning is a little unusual, though, because it uses an instantaneous curse to project a syndrome across distance rather than a projectile (which is actually very much like lightning or electrical discharge.) The lightning itself does no permanent damage at the moment, but instantly takes the target out of combat by knocking them unconscious among other forms of immobilization like total paralysis and adding the IMMOBILE tag to them. Overkill, I know, but they all end at pretty much the same time. The unconsciousness only lasts a short while, but if you must remove a combatant from the field for a brief period, it's a great option. I'd be terrified to run into a mage using it, though, because it's more or less an instant knock-out punch to whoever they're most pissed at. I guess such a powerful tool belongs in a more advanced set of combat spells.

The lightning material isn't necessary at the moment because it's been replaced, but I may use it later anyway.

I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Burnme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 26, 2012, 03:40:34 am »

Observing and testing the ideas and examples in this thread so far have produced mostly just more questions, but I've found a few things out too.

Ice spike spell without custom material:

The line "[CDI:MATERIAL:WATER:SOLID_GLOB]" is curious, but gets the effect done. SOLID_GLOB apparently auto-adjusts whatever material you're trying to use by setting it to whatever temperature it needs to be to become solid. In this case, it finds the game's existing water material and freezes it to make it SOLID. LIQUID_GLOB, conversely, appears to melt most substances, so you end up flinging, for example, molten iron if you're using INORGANIC:IRON.

Regardless, the temperature of the material doesn't actually seem to matter, so every one of these projectile material emissions behaves like a thrown object. I have yet to see a stick-in of these thrown materials.

It is also noteworthy that SOLID_GLOB and LIQUID_GLOB material emissions rely upon the throwing skill for effectiveness and accuracy.

Summon water spell, for thirsty adventurers:

Stand on top of the water it makes, and you can drink or fill your waterskin. The moment you walk away from the water square, it is smeared across the ground and evaporates.

SPATTER_LIQUID effect appears useless for temperature-based offensive purposes. The feet of an enemy will be coated with whatever (usually molten) material you use, like granite for example which coats the target in magma, but there never seem to be any burns as a result.

I haven't tested syndrome application with this delivery system yet, but that is likely the only use of this emission method for right now.

Steelskin spell, for adventurers with fire/high temperature resistant bodies:

I tested this effect first as an offensive ability. It does indeed cause heat damage by coating targets in molten steel via enveloping them in a cloud of it if they are within the (very random) range.

I noticed, however, that my character was also coated in steel with every use, thus forcing me to modify my race with these tags so I didn't melt:

Being immune, every use coats me with steel. I'm not 100% positive, but during regular combat, my entire body coated with steel appears to help deflect blows. I have seen weapon attacks "glance away" very rarely while otherwise naked but coated in steel, whereas before they did not.

This could very likely be an observation error on my part though, since I haven't tested it too extensively.

On the other hand, transforming yourself into a human-sized steel colossus definitely bestows the defensive properties of the metal properly:

interaction itself:

interaction_wizard.txt, required for interaction to work:

Creature for interaction:

Keeping the user's spellcasting abilities is as simple as putting the same interactions from your default race into the steelskin wizard creature race as well, excepting the steelbody spell of course.

It's quite a pity that all equipment is removed by transformations at the moment, as I originally had this spell configured to be a stoneskin spell, but stone tends to be too brittle to be helpful while you're naked. Steel is much more resilient, but you will still get shattered, dented, and dismembered all too easily by enemies with higher stats and better weapons, since you're naked.

Sticky magical metal spellsilk webbing spell:
This one is just the giant cave spider's web slinging ability that paralyzes the target and makes sticky mines on the ground that paralyze whoever walks into them, temporarily. Like the other preset emissions (fireball, firejet, dragonfire), this emission method conveniently casts its material in the direction you aim without hitting the user on the user's square upon casting. However, you can still get stuck by walking into a sticky mine, unless you give your race the [WEBIMMUNE] tag.

Interestingly, the material can be anything, and still has the webbing effect, and the sticky mines produced are "[material] thread". In the above case, silver thread is produced.

You could probably produce ice thread and other such things, for variations on an elemental theme. Silver thread is melted into molten silver if heat is applied to it, by the way. Food for thought, with other materials that are forced into a solid state.

What I would really love to see that I haven't figured out yet is making even better use of existing vanilla materials modified by interactions to achieve desired results.

For example, can we find a way to produce vanilla, ingame snow from interactions? Is there any raw reference to snow? Is snow just a particular temperature of water?

Since we can make ice from vanilla water via interactions, what else can we do with water? Can we create depths of water and actual waterflow? Can we cool water enough to cause freezing damage without making the water into solid ice, and likewise can we cause damage from boiling water, consistently and usefully, without creating new materials?

If not, how do we base new materials on existing water? Water doesn't seem to have any presence in the raws either.

I'll be looking for answers to questions like these, but there might be no answers in the current DF version. If someone else figures this kind of stuff out, please feel free to say so here.

(EDIT: VAPOR_FLOW emissions have interesting effects on all objects in the world that they hit. Earlier, I coated the ground in silver thread from my silverweb spell, and then blasted the thread with molten steel from a TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW. The result was molten silver laced with molten steel, and a very high temperature in present and adjacent tiles. GAS_FLOW emissions do not seem to properly apply temperature effects, though, only syndromes as far as I can tell.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 03:57:25 am by Burnme »
quot;wat"

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 26, 2012, 05:11:15 am »

...It's choosing toad because that's the first creature in the raws.
It seems to me, that there is more to it that that. If you mess with RAWs and insert another creature as first, you still end up as a toad :]
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2012, 06:01:14 am »

Hi, does anyone have a spell that shoots a gas bolt that causes necrosis, has high temperature and severe pain?

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2012, 06:47:40 am »

Hi, does anyone have a spell that shoots a gas bolt that causes necrosis, has high temperature and severe pain?

Let's see...

This is the actual attack given to the creature...

And this goes into an inorganic_whatever.txt file!

That should rot anything it contacts, is very high temperature and should cause pain (however I haven't as yet observed the CE_PAIN syndrome working... It may be disabled/broken, feel free to refine it or change the names, ETC!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 06:50:15 am by Evil One »
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Burnme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 26, 2012, 06:48:56 am »

More testing results:

• [CDI:MATERIAL:BLAH:UNDIRECTED_VAPOR] - Turns BLAH material into vapor, which explodes outward from the user in an area effect. Much more reliable than TRAILING_VAPOR_FLOW.
  • [CDI:MATERIAL:BLAH:UNDIRECTED_GAS] - Turns BLAH material into gas, which explodes outward from the user in an area effect. Much more reliable than TRAILING_GAS_FLOW.

A spell with peculiar properties... cryo web spell

The interaction:

The material:

As I suspected, and stated as much in my previous post, using a material with particular properties in the WEB_SPRAY emission yields interesting results. In the case of this Cryoweb spell, it shoots a sticky web as normal, paralyzing anyone in range, but because the material has those specific properties, the web remnants then explode into clouds of freezing liquid. If the material had syndromes attached, this could do even more things all at once. Neat.
quot;wat"

RysanMarquise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 26, 2012, 11:01:20 am »

Gasses fail at heat transference. It needs to be full environment or more personal.

Anyone know if it is possible to make Interactions require a consumable? This is pretty important for what I am working on.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28