Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Were-ism... is it worth it?  (Read 2239 times)

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
Were-ism... is it worth it?
« on: February 17, 2012, 04:25:18 am »

I lucked out when one of my legendary adventurers decided to kill a werehuman for an easy fame boost and i got attacked by a wererhinosceros. I got bit and then killed the beast, then fast traveled and upon being put back into the game found that i had transformed into a badass wererhinoceros. I was too scared to test him out in were-form, fearing that the peasants would ostracize me, so i hid in the dead wererhinoceros' cave. Upon turning back into a human, i noticed that the hand i had lost during my first battle was regenerated and i did't have the scar from being bitten. Although monthly total regeneration is awesome, i was wondering if some of the fellow adventurers would test whether the were-disease is worth it the rest of the time. It seems like you do get a buff against all weapons except those made of the thing you're weak against, since the werecreatures are normally just women and children sitting naked in caves, and i haven't one-shotted any i assume they get a buff... but with full iron armor, the biggest concern my adventurer has is that a hammerman, or god forbid, a crossbowman will chip a bone and cause me to pass out and get face raped. So i want to know if were-creatures really get a buff when in human form, and also how deep that is, because the villagers say that weapons won't cut so deep, but will bones still break as easily?
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Were-ism... is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 04:33:55 am »

What were your skill levels when you killed the were-rhino?  I found a were-beast, in human form, waited like a day, it transformed, killed me instantly. 

Not sure about the physical advantages or defects, and yeah it does seem too risky testing out whether these work or not. 

That's what backing up saves are for. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 04:52:06 am »

Science demands the slaughter of an entire village or two!

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 05:26:04 am »

Soooooo, back up your world, and go into a town on a full moon on a biting spree. See if transformed villagers join your "faction". If so? CONQUER THE WORLD!

If not? do it anyway as they will be a good distraction for your escape.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 05:49:04 am »

They won't transform until the next month. Although they will be friendly and willing to join you.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 05:55:07 am »

What were your skill levels when you killed the were-rhino?  I found a were-beast, in human form, waited like a day, it transformed, killed me instantly. 

i was a swordmaster, so at least great swordsman, and close to expert shield user, so i didn't want to get killed with no weapons or armor. I actually had to take off all my armor and lay down next to it just to get it to actually bite me.

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 07:54:05 am »

Nothing in the interaction says that you get any boosts in a human form. So all the bonuses should work only during the full moon.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 07:59:04 am »

I have to wonder if their material resistances are even working as I didn't have much trouble dispatching a werehorse with an iron long sword (he was weak to silver).

Best thing about being a werecreature currently: The ability to heal those all-too-fragile motor nerves.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:01:20 am by Jehdin »

Krantz86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 08:01:15 am »

well a side advantage is that you stop aging, better avoid getting bitten by a were-pig though
Re: 1000 sgins that you play Dwarf fortress (way) too much
154. When you get the word "adamantine" on your LA vocab, you quickly cross it out and replace it with "cotton candy" and spend the next 10 minutes in fetal position rocking back and forth in fear. (Yes, I actually did this.)
...Wait. Adamantine is real?...
...155. You are no longer sure what metals are real or fictional.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 08:01:30 am »

They work. The other materials are twice weaker against them. However even "twice weaker" kills them easily because even the worst metal is much better than flesh.

Don't worry, mods will fix it with proper monsters :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 08:17:38 am »

and by mods you mean genesis?  :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 12:05:35 pm »

Total regeneration? Worth it.

Then become a necrowere creature.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 01:07:45 pm »

They work. The other materials are twice weaker against them. However even "twice weaker" kills them easily because even the worst metal is much better than flesh.

Don't worry, mods will fix it with proper monsters :).
goblin weregoblin, hooooooo!
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 03:41:49 pm »

Total regeneration? Worth it.

Then become a necrowere creature.

Or a necro-vampire werecreature :P