Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortifications?  (Read 1631 times)

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortifications?
« on: November 06, 2007, 11:22:00 am »

do fortifications stop water flow? do they stop mist from going through?

Nekojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortifications?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 01:18:00 pm »

Fortifications are not exactly walls - they're walls with big holes in them, so that your archers can fire through them. I doubt very highly that they'd stop water. They might (should) cause mist, if they were built into the middle of a channel that was subsequently flooded with moving water, though.

Note that fortifications don't block unit movement unless there's a wall built on the level above the fortifications. I had one of my dwarves go mad, strip all of his clothes off, and run out to sit on my (useless) fortifications to starve/freeze to death. In the heart of Winter.

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »

In the old version they stop dwarf made floods but not natural ones.  For those who haven't seen the old version (I know elipsis has and that's why (s)he's asking this question) the flooding algorithm was much different, water didn't have a finite content and there existed something called "permafloods".

I don't know if that's the same in this version and what I think would happen (PURELY SPECULATION) is that water would flow through at a certain level (possibly 3-5).

Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 10:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Klokjammer:
<STRONG>In the old version they stop dwarf made floods but not natural ones.</STRONG>

No they let all water pass through.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 11:13:00 pm »

water does go by them (and occupy their 'square' in the new version, which looks weird graphicaly).

I did ask because in the old one a flood gate induced overland flood in the old version was stopped by forts (unlike the delicious mud creating river floods which went through forts).  essentially I wanted a way to use the awesome mist of a natural waterfall without the accompanying splashes of water and eventual rise of the mud fort.

Razzums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 09:10:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Nekojin:
<STRONG>

Note that fortifications don't block unit movement unless there's a wall built on the level above the fortifications. I had one of my dwarves go mad, strip all of his clothes off, and run out to sit on my (useless) fortifications to starve/freeze to death. In the heart of Winter.</STRONG>

That made me laugh.

[ November 07, 2007: Message edited by: Razzums ]

ey