Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Finally found the vampire  (Read 6399 times)

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finally found the vampire
« on: February 16, 2012, 11:29:37 pm »

At least 5 dwarves had gone missing, eventually found dead, drained of blood. There were never any witnesses, though I randomly accused people nearby the discovery of the crime to see how they'd react to being put in jail. Most of the victims were discovered in their own beds, but one was discovered in the hospital, where he had been waiting for treatment. Perhaps the vampire was attracted to the smell of his bleeding wounds.

At any rate, finally the vampire slipped, and killed in full view of two other dwarves. I got the notice that the body had been discovered, drained of blood, and viewed the crime on the Justice tab. There were 3 dwarves listed as witnesses. One of them, Reg Amuglibash, was randomly accusing a dwarf who wasn't even in the area of having committed the crime. The other two were blaming Reg Amuglibash.

I convicted Reg of the crime, and he was sentenced to ~200 days in prison. After he was chained, I walled off the prison to see what would happen.

So far, he has shown no signs of hunger, thirst, or sleep. His nickname "!VAMPIRE!" isn't displaying in the [v] interaction, nor in the unit list. I tried to recruit him into the military, but he doesn't show up on the list when assigning dwarves to a squad (is that because he's a vampire, or because he's in jail? I don't know.)

Meanwhile, I was sieged, and much of my military, despite being Lord-rank, was demolished. The rest of the fort is now slowly descending into a tantrum spiral, with citizens alternately going mad and going berserk. The vampire, walled off like a Cask of Amontillado, is listening to the screams outside his prison with no apparent emotion.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finally found the vampire
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 11:55:33 pm »

Down to 74 dwarves... They're dying of thirst as much as from berserk dwarves now, since my brewers and farmers all died.

The vampire is still showing no signs of distress. I wonder what will happen if a chained, walled off vampire is my only surviving dwarf. Will the fortress crumble to an end or not?

edit: 32 dwarves left. Reg's sentence is over, and he's free of his chain. He's still stuck in his walled-off prison, though.

Still displaying no signs of hunger or thirst, despite an entire fortress dying of starvation and dehydration around him.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:04:01 am by Name Lips »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 12:09:15 am »

Ok, first off you did it wrong, second off, I believe you mean yous entenced him to be atom smashed D:<

DOOOO EEEEEEEEET
YOU KNOW YOU WANNAAAAA
At least 5 dwarves had gone missing, eventually found dead, drained of blood. There were never any witnesses, though I randomly accused people nearby the discovery of the crime to see how they'd react to being put in jail. Most of the victims were discovered in their own beds, but one was discovered in the hospital, where he had been waiting for treatment. Perhaps the vampire was attracted to the smell of his bleeding wounds.

At any rate, finally the vampire slipped, and killed in full view of two other dwarves. I got the notice that the body had been discovered, drained of blood, and viewed the crime on the Justice tab. There were 3 dwarves listed as witnesses. One of them, Reg Amuglibash, was randomly accusing a dwarf who wasn't even in the area of having committed the crime. The other two were blaming Reg Amuglibash.

I convicted Reg of the crime, and he was sentenced to ~200 days in prison. After he was chained, I walled off the prison to see what would happen.

So far, he has shown no signs of hunger, thirst, or sleep. His nickname "!VAMPIRE!" isn't displaying in the [v] interaction, nor in the unit list. I tried to recruit him into the military, but he doesn't show up on the list when assigning dwarves to a squad (is that because he's a vampire, or because he's in jail? I don't know.)

Meanwhile, I was sieged, and much of my military, despite being Lord-rank, was demolished. The rest of the fort is now slowly descending into a tantrum spiral, with citizens alternately going mad and going berserk. The vampire, walled off like a Cask of Amontillado, is listening to the screams outside his prison with no apparent emotion.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 01:20:14 am »

Hah!  I feel the rush!  I found my first vampire.  She has drained seven hard-working dwarves of their blood and left them dead in the dormitory.  I only found her via the "Nickname" glitch where she didn't accept the nickname I've given her.

So far she is sulking off in the hallways rather than going to the burrow I've assigned to her. 

Time (very short time) shall tell what will become of her.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 01:24:15 am »

Do you know what happens when you crush something into a singularity?

It stops being your problem :D

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 01:33:27 am »

So my whole fort died of starvation and madness... except for my vampire... and also, I suddenly noticed, 3 other dwarves. They had been sort of shuffled into the mix before, and I didn't notice...

But they also aren't suffering from hunger or thirst.

I didn't have one vampire, I had FOUR.

And now they're the only survivors of the fort.

It doesn't crumble. You get to keep playing with only vampires if you want.

But I went ahead and abandoned. It was mostly for !SCIENCE! anyway.

Now I have a good idea how to deal with vampires. Make sure your dwarves are never alone, and there will always be witnesses to the crime...

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 01:40:02 am »

Set up an atom-smasher early on in your next fort, and if you receive those dwarves as migrants you should promptly atom-smash them.  Because when a vampire kills one of your legendary weaponsmiths, it's really fucking annoying.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 02:03:36 am »

IDEA: make them the black box of the fortress.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 02:09:05 am »

I spy with my little eye... a challenge!
Dwarf Fortress? Bah! Time to play Vampire Necropolis.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 05:48:28 am »

I spy with my little eye... a challenge!
Dwarf Fortress? Bah! Time to play Vampire Necropolis.

DWARF FORTRESS: NEW MOON

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 09:58:48 am »

Ive found a vampire in my fort through a mixture of all the bug stuff! He also has this curious line in his description

"He has the appearance of somebody that is one hundred forty-one years old and is one of the first of his kind"

The world is 170 y/o so it cant be dwarven kind! Has anyone else noticed this line? I guess the list of 'was a member of' is just as telling. Heck this guy was even a general and has the military tactics skill! :o (does that do anything?)
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 11:06:01 am »

Might be a bug if your fortress is only vampires. Maybe it only  counts if they're exposed as vampires? Are you sure they were vampires? Also, abandoning frees them.

You let the vampires go.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 11:11:55 am »

Vampires are still considered citizens, they just happen to be cannibals at the same time.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Dawnofdarkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 11:54:14 am »

okay so here is my idea of screening dwarfs for vampirism.

In the entrance to your fortress make a few supply stockpiles and basically a waiting room. then have entrances tow id say about 3 or so small rooms. make a burrow in each room. send one dwarf each into the room and lock both the door he came in from and the exit. wait untill they show hunger thirst or being sleepy. if they show these then open the exit and allow them into the rest of the fortress. if they do not and are vampires open a hatch below them and drop them into a pit.... best thing is if you can engineer the pit just right you can unleash your vampires on invaders.
If Toady implements it, we can kill elves with it.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 12:15:43 pm »

Do vampires do work if ordered to do so?  If so.. I see no reason to accept normal dwarves into society, except as a food source.  Vampires are stronger, faster, and flat out more durable.  Hopefully they are more intelligent as well, plus they dont require booze.   With time, you could get a core group (or coven, is it called) running your fort in its entirety.  migrant waves would cease to be a problem.
Pages: [1] 2