Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fort death by ash  (Read 1288 times)

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
Fort death by ash
« on: February 16, 2012, 10:47:19 pm »

Started in a haunted biome, everything going to plan, when a cloud of fiendish ash appeared, which turned all of my creatures into (fiendish ash husk) versions of themselves. They were listed under the unit list as "Opposed to Life." The fort lasted about 10 minutes before crumbling to dust and...ash. Good times.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Fort death by ash
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 10:53:53 pm »

Ash thralls are not to be toyed with.  Burrows save lives.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: Fort death by ash
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 11:04:11 pm »

Your #1 goal is to get as much as you can underground as fast as you can, starting with your picks, your anvil and your food and then other stuff.

Don't bring animals or you'll just end up with a lot of zombies.

Do bring extra miners and picks to dig out a storage area faster.  Dig it out in sections so the rest of your dwarves can begin to haul the essentials in early.  Seal this off when everything is inside, or when it becomes unsafe.  Better yet, give all of your starting dwarves +5 mining, but do bear in mind there is a distinct possibility you will never have a migration wave or caravan successfully reach your fortress.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.