Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cant generate a world, can someone let me use theirs?  (Read 2258 times)

Sabre of Pain

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Dragon
    • View Profile
cant generate a world, can someone let me use theirs?
« on: February 16, 2012, 09:35:40 pm »

the best i can do is shitty little 300 year small size worlds, I tried letting it run overnight on a medium sized world but it crashed at year 528. I'm looking for a  medium sized world, the older it is the better.
its so very cold up here in canada... or maybe thats just because i'm naked.

CrundleHorn

• Bay Watcher
  • CrundleHorn
    • View Profile
Re: cant generate a world, can someone let me use theirs?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 09:39:25 pm »

Someone help this man! My worlds seem to generate pretty slow in the new version as well.
CrundleHorn

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 09:41:21 pm »

Can't recommend it, friend.

I genned a medium world to the year 600 with my shitty computer, taking a day and night. It took a massive amount of time unloading the site, and that's when I started suspecting something is wrong. Sure enough, the game locks up if you ever try to talk to a historical figure. And by that I mean locks up permanently or long enough for it not to make a difference in playability.

If your comp can't handle worldgen, it probably can't handle the game. Small worlds is what it is then if anything
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:42:10 pm »

Nothing you can do until Toady optimizes things, play an older DF and nostalgia the everything.

Sabre of Pain

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:52:55 pm »

ahh, memories of waiting for toady to optimize... that always seems to be the last thing to happen <.<;

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 10:06:52 pm »

errrr... so

i have a medium world of 525 years here. 2.5m events, 16k alive, dwarves elves humans and gobos on the map. Didn't check for kobolds.
Where can i put it? looks like rapidshare wants me to have an account.
And lets not talk about megaupload.

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 10:08:48 pm »

Try the DFFD

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 10:18:11 pm »

found some place to use without registration:
http://depositfiles.com/files/zhgoaficp

So.
Your basic medium region; with an evil temperate ocean in the middle, for anyone who wants to try their luck at playing what they couldn't generate.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 10:25:40 pm »

Check the modding forums, someone made a change that lets DF use 4GB of RAM instead of 2, which won't speed up performance, but it will result in fewer worldgen crashes due to memory outbreak.

Also try shorter worlds.  200 year max.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 10:26:11 pm »

^What Hotaru said. If you can't gen the world within a reasonable amount of time (I'm guessing 30 minutes or so), it'll likely crash the game at some point from being too large. I've had it happen, and in adventure mode it's a well-documented problem. You can't even talk to anyone without the game crashing, if the history is too extensive.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 11:00:21 pm »

Why the frick people want ALWAYS longer history worlds? If you HAVE to have longer history world, but map size to small or less cilizations/beasts. Seriously, world gen is slower because there are crapton more historical figures now, you don't need long history to get awesome world.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 11:02:00 pm »

Why the frick people want ALWAYS longer history worlds? If you HAVE to have longer history world, but map size to small or less cilizations/beasts. Seriously, world gen is slower because there are crapton more historical figures now, you don't need long history to get awesome world.
This.  I haven't had any trouble generating even a large world if I stop worldgen at year 125 or (once) 200.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Sabre of Pain

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 12:28:11 am »

apparently more structures are generated and civs get bigger, which would be good for adventure mode.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 07:46:36 am »

I'm now in the process of uploading another world; just in case this is working for you.
This will likely require you to use the LAA exe posted to allow for higher memory use.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101046.0
It uses 1.7gb in the task manager right after embarking. Guess its something if the CPU is your generation bottleneck.

This one has more awesome to go with it.
http://depositfiles.com/files/402xnps4d

We have:
Large world
600 years
All civs
Open caverns
Less minerals than the other one
Good, evil and neutral tundras bordering mountains
Couple of bad glaciers.
and...
A couple of the original Megabeasts still kicking!
Breeding - effing - Megabeasts!

Some of the Dragons and Hydras managed to survive long enough to breed. (From the looks of it, that starts around 100 years+ for dragons)

There's also a dead dragons legacy to pursue. It claimed 528 notable lifes before being killed in 328... and had 6 offspring!
Two of his still roam the world and are each over 400 years old! Though they weren't as effective killing people they should have grown real big in this time...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:24:55 am by Lord Snow »