Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My fort was killed by a river.  (Read 1103 times)

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My fort was killed by a river.
« on: February 16, 2012, 09:14:55 pm »

I know what your thinking he channeld into a river well no I did not my stupid dorfs waded through the river.

Too bad it was right at a waterfall.                                      wwwwwwwwww
                                                                                    D  wggggggggggggg
                                                                                       w ggggggggggggg
                                                                                   D  wgggggggggggggg
w=water
g=ground
D=my worhtless dorfs
I was left with one melacoly child and the migrants would just drown so I abandoned.
Is this the first time someone was killed by a river that had nothing to do with dodging channeling or freezing?
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
Re: My fort was killed by a river.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 09:46:12 pm »

I've found that with the access ramps some dwarves will try to path through water. Normally it's through the shallow water 3/7ish which is normally fine but if it's just before a waterfall...
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 09:47:35 pm »

I miss my rampless rivers :(

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 10:11:54 pm »

DUDE if dwarfs will do it then so will goblins.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 10:31:14 pm »

My first VDF fort was killed by a waterfall.

Upon embarking, the dwarfs set  up all the necessities for living. Farms, beds, stockpiles.

Then it started raining elf blood. My dwarfs  were covered in the ghastly fluid, and rushed one by one to the nearest water source to clean themselves. Sadly, that source was the ramp right next to a 8-z waterfall.

Because the new version fails to report deaths, it was only when I designated some trees to be cut that I noticed my woodcutter at the bottom of the falls, along with 3 other dwarfs.

2 more died before I restricted the area. Migrants came, but as they hadn't been properly briefed on the slippery rocks, all of them perished as well. I sat back in resignation as I watched my last dwarf dawdle his way over to the partially blocked off and restricted waterfall. He jumped off. Screen cut to black.

Game over.