Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What category is stone mugs?  (Read 2629 times)

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
What category is stone mugs?
« on: February 16, 2012, 08:20:08 pm »

Sorry for asking so many questions but this one is really annoying me...

I made a whole bunch of stone mugs for sale at the trade depot, but when I looked through all the sub-categories I couldn't find them so I had to painfully go through the all list to select them.

Is there any particular subcategory stone mugs are in? It would be a great time saver if I could find it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: What category is stone mugs?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:30:21 pm »

Mugs don't show up in any category at the trade depot.  To trade them, you have to use the search function and specifically search for 'mug'.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:49:28 pm »

Mugs don't show up in any category at the trade depot.  To trade them, you have to use the search function and specifically search for 'mug'.

Damn. Is there any other good craftable good that show up in their own category? I guess toys then...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:13:18 pm »

I think that totems also don't show up as any standard category.  And I know there's no way to find prepared meals other than by specifically searching for them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:56:04 pm »

I think that totems also don't show up as any standard category.  And I know there's no way to find prepared meals other than by specifically searching for them.
The same for totems

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 01:05:56 am »

Damn. Is there any other good craftable good that show up in their own category? I guess toys then...

Don't be so disappointed. It really doesn't matter. Just hit 's' and type "mug". There's no need to search for them by hand, use the search feature. It's as good or better than the categories.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 01:24:49 am »

They usually wind up in bins with your other crafts and toys, so if you look there, you'll probably see the mugs in the bins too.

Also yeah search feature.

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 01:28:01 am »

It's a lot simpler to move bins to the depot.  So rather than moving mugs, move the "Finished Goods Bins" which contain the mugs.  If you don't have bins, make some.  Makes thing so much easier and keeps stuff from slowing down workshops.

SauliusTheBlack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 02:14:53 am »

what Fayceless said, I always take the bins to the depot, and for elves, I try to pay attention to !!NOT!! give the bins for trade. Lot of work, but I macro'd it. everyone else I tend to give the bins, because of the little added wealth.

Greetz
They died for their fellow Dwarves. They will be remembered, at least until your Dwarves see a particularly nice statue.

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 03:11:52 am »

Ok, I made some bins and got items inside them in the stockpile.

Are bins listed in a category in the trading list or do I have to go through the all sort list?

SauliusTheBlack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 03:59:10 am »

if you just want to sell the mugs(not sure in the new version, still DF2010 for me) you can use s > FINISHED GOODS, and it shows all the bins with finished goods.
When selling : PAY ATTENTION TO GREY TEXT. these are useally splints, crutches and other stuff you probably don't want to sell.
They died for their fellow Dwarves. They will be remembered, at least until your Dwarves see a particularly nice statue.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 05:58:27 am »

if you just want to sell the mugs(not sure in the new version, still DF2010 for me) you can use s > FINISHED GOODS, and it shows all the bins with finished goods.
When selling : PAY ATTENTION TO GREY TEXT. these are useally splints, crutches and other stuff you probably don't want to sell.
Yes, this works in the new version (mugs are my primary export at the moment). You can check the contents of a bin while sending them to the depot with v. If you make a "finished goods" stockpile that accepts only mugs, then disallow mugs from other stockpiles, it stops them from getting mixed up with other, actually useful stuff.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 06:21:49 am »

I find it easier to make my infinite stone garbage dump near the depot and put the workshop there, with a stockpile specifically for mugs and bins
then when you search bins, it shows the distance. The bins that are the closest are the ones you want. Usually there will be a big distance jump between those and the next ones if I lay it out properly. This way it's very easy to spot the mug bins without needing to check inside or worrying about other stuff mixed in together.