Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newb Question  (Read 745 times)

adam35413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Newb Question
« on: February 16, 2012, 04:23:48 pm »

This is my first new release, and I am trying to start off without depending on the custom tilesets.  Is there a good repository of what all the different characters represent?  I saw the one on the DF wiki, but that appears to be very sparse (e.g. it doesn't have any race symbols for what different races are in legend mode). 

Thanks!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Newb Question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 04:38:06 pm »

Yes, there is, and it is found in game itself. The 'k' button means look, and it will tell you what things are.
Specific symbols don't always mean the same thing, so it is important to notice context and use the look button when in doubt.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 05:31:55 pm »

There are a lot of races. (v), (q), (t) and especially (k) will be your savior :P

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 06:40:45 pm »

Yes, there is, and it is found in game itself. The 'k' button means look, and it will tell you what things are.
Specific symbols don't always mean the same thing, so it is important to notice context and use the look button when in doubt.

^ This.  Tilesets are used because otherwise it can be a bit tricky telling things apart.  You will, eventually, get used to it.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves