Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A warning to all of those who would wish to build a fortress to protect tomes...  (Read 1814 times)

HySh777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It doesn't work.

At least for me, it didn't.

I took an adventure and looted a tower clean, planted all of the stuff on the ground (far away from the tower, mind you) at the first river I came across. I embarked there in the hopes of building a defensive structure around the tomes and slabs.

All of the tomes and the slab vanished. Without a trace. Everything else I put down stayed there (weapons, gems, coins, etc.).

Hopped back in adventure mode to get the tomes back. Still not there.
I returned to the tower to see if perhaps I couldn't just leave them on a spot and they just "magically" returned.

Nope.

Is this intentional? Because I'm a bit peeved. The tomes/slab aren't anywhere to be found in either mode.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:49:42 pm by HySh777 »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

That's curious...  It may or may not work with a site though.  Try dropping the items onto a lair, which are well known to keep items in-place?  Of course, that would involve gathering more tomes to test it with...

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile

Maybe another necromancer took them?
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101145.0

A similar thing happened with player-made artifacts in DF2010. You can pick them up and even use them, but if you put them down or try to leave the fortress with em, they just teleport back to their place of origin. I'm not sure if Toady knew about this issue until now.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

HySh777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's curious...  It may or may not work with a site though.  Try dropping the items onto a lair, which are well known to keep items in-place?  Of course, that would involve gathering more tomes to test it with...

Took me since the release to just beat one. ._. Also: Note to self: Take ONE book at a time for testing. Don't just empty the tower. /facepalm

Maybe another necromancer took them?

I have no idea where they went, and legends isn't helping. (Not surprisingly, I think it basically stops tracking that after world gen. Could be wrong, but there's nothing on me looting it.)

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101145.0

A similar thing happened with player-made artifacts in DF2010. You can pick them up and even use them, but if you put them down or try to leave the fortress with em, they just teleport back to their place of origin. I'm not sure if Toady knew about this issue until now.

Huh. That's curious. I DID check the tower though, and there's nothing there. But cool, I didn't know about that.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huh. That's curious. I DID check the tower though, and there's nothing there. But cool, I didn't know about that.

Is it possible they weren't CREATED at the tower and were moved there by the necromancer? I'm not sure just an idea.

HySh777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it possible they weren't CREATED at the tower and were moved there by the necromancer? I'm not sure just an idea.

According to Legends they were made there by the necromancers living there. So I would imagine they were made inside the towers.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, I just checked out the demon fortress I stole these books from again. Those were different books that were just appearing in the same spot. But yeah, they totally phase out of existence if you drop them on the ground and leave/sleep.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:31:37 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

HySh777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, I just checked out the demon fortress I stole these books from again. Those were different books that were just appearing in the same spot. But yeah, they totally phase out of existence if you drop them on the ground and leave/sleep.

That makes me sad. :/

A bug? Or perhaps intended due to the idea of all of your dwarves becoming necromancers?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

A bug? Or perhaps intended due to the idea of all of your dwarves becoming necromancers?

DF can't handle total world item tracking :(

For now...

HySh777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DF can't handle total world item tracking :(

For now...

I thought item tracking was improved upon.

Well, dangit. Now I gotta go clear out another tower. ._.

Oh, and thanks for the responses.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Improved, but not perfected.

HySh777

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huh. Well, good to know.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Embark on a Tower?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.