Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: [Island Forge] Single-dev Player-created content MMORPG (Now Free-to-Play!)  (Read 15737 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Island Forge (old-school, player-created content, indie MMORPG)
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2012, 05:22:40 am »

This looks interesting, I'll certainly give it a try when I can.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2012, 05:44:09 am »

For some reason, I think threads that contain games which you have to pay in shouldn't exist.

/thread

As in pay for the game, or microtransactions

It's a good idea to keep the first page up-to-date.

The game actually looks quite interesting, as creating adventures for people in an MMO format seems like a nice way to keep a game interesing and varied. Unfortunetely, however, I dont live in the US. Surely some countries wouldn't be too difficult to extend it too (countries with similar legal systems etc).
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2012, 05:46:49 am »

For some reason, I think threads that contain games which you have to pay in shouldn't exist.

/thread
Fortunately most of us disagree with you.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2012, 07:08:59 am »

Interesting concept, I was just saying the other day how a cross between Neverwinter Nights and Minecraft would be amazing. (Someone please do this) This could.. Be compared to that, I suppose. Probably more accurate would be Sleep is Death (Or whatever that game was called, it came out a few years ago and was about player made stories/content) and just about any RPG, really.

I hope this does well! Honestly, I do not expect it to, all the subscription-based indie MMOs  I can think of never really did that well, though to be fair I can't think of many. But, I hope you surprise me and take this in the right direction.

Also, having to register to read the forum seems like not a good idea.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2012, 07:13:42 am »

/thread

Please, stop with the /thread thing. its not even spelled right, and you cant always be right. (should be [/thread])

So you either make a game you pay 50 euros for one time, or you make a completely free game?
People need money to live, you may not know that because you still get all your money from mommy and daddy, but it is actually a fact.

As for the game, it looks intresting, i'll try it out sometime.
(btw, updating the OP may be a good idea, so people that first come to this thread have a good idea of what this is.)

EDIT:

Btw, a question, how will you counter the huge amount of "LULZ 3P1C 1SL4ND!!!"?
Also, will there be a "weekly best", "yearly best", "all-time best" etc?

EDIT2:
Also, note here that i'm not a huge fan of subscription-based games, but if thats how it is, i dont care.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 07:19:15 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2012, 07:15:57 am »

/thread

Please, stop with the childish /thread thing. its not even spelled right, and you cant always be right. (should be [/thread])

So you either make a game you pay 50 euros for one time, or you make a completely free game?
People need money to live, you may not know that because you still get all your money from mommy and daddy, but it is actually a fact.
While I agree with the sentiment, lets try not to insult people personally. He/she can express a thought, even one which we disagree with. Yes it was childish but leave that to the mods.

Nyhm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Island Forge
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2012, 08:47:34 am »

I knew bay12 would offer some good feedback! I've updated the original post to mention the release; thanks for pointing that out.

Before this release, I spent many hours contemplating freemium approaches to the game, but had to side with a subscription model for more than one reason. For one, I'm keeping things as simple and stable as I can. Fremium games tend to be run by companies with deep pockets, who can stay afloat while they run huge marketing campaigns to herd players through their nickel-and-dime shops. It's just me here, and, as stated by miauw62, I have to start paying the bills. The best way for Island Forge to succeed is for the community to appreciate that this is an indie title that offers a lot of unique features, in which each player is directly helping to support by subscribing. Think of it this way: the cost is less than buying one pizza per month.

Regarding other countries, it's a matter of legal cost. You'll notice that many internationally-oriented games have multiple terms of service rules, regulations, and policies, and often set up different services to adhere to each country's laws. Naturally, I'd love for everyone in the world to play, but this is how I have to start out. I understand if you're not comfortable clicking through the ToS.

Regarding "3P1C 1SL4NDZ", as much as I would prefer everyone to stick with the classic fantasy role-play theme, I've decided to make a player-created content game, and I'm going to be as lenient as possible, so long as the content is not offensive, disruptive, or otherwise against the ToS. If it proves necessary, I might be forced to enforce a "spirit of the game" clause. The community can somewhat self-regulate such content by using the complaint system, in extreme cases.

I've thought about noting the best islands. Having a "weekly/monthly/yearly best" island is a good idea. I already track visitation and ratings, so an overall winner could be picked. I'll document this for a potential future feature, maybe as part of the Atlas page. Thanks!

On a technical note, I'll see if I can make my forums read-only for non-users. I've run phpBB (and I see this site uses Simple Machines), but I wanted a simpler, more integrated/single-sign-on system, so I'm using a WordPress plugin forum (islandforge.com is built with WordPress). I like the simplicity, but it consequently doesn't have many features. I've already spent many hours getting it to work better than it did out-of-the-box, so I'll add this to the list!

Thanks for everyone's input.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:14:08 am by Nyhm »
Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2012, 10:05:18 am »

Interesting concept, I was just saying the other day how a cross between Neverwinter Nights and Minecraft would be amazing. (Someone please do this) This could.. Be compared to that, I suppose. Probably more accurate would be Sleep is Death (Or whatever that game was called, it came out a few years ago and was about player made stories/content) and just about any RPG, really.

I hope this does well! Honestly, I do not expect it to, all the subscription-based indie MMOs  I can think of never really did that well, though to be fair I can't think of many. But, I hope you surprise me and take this in the right direction.

except this game isnt going that direction, currently. Check out the earlier posts and comments i made, the creator of an adventure hasnt any abilities like a GM gets in NWN or Sleep Is Death. A GM mode to allow the creator of an island to do all sorts of stuff would create an incredibly unique storytelling and RP environment. Lets hope someone does that some day.
I got nothing

Nyhm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Island Forge
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2012, 10:38:26 am »

except this game isnt going that direction, currently. Check out the earlier posts and comments i made, the creator of an adventure hasnt any abilities like a GM gets in NWN or Sleep Is Death. A GM mode to allow the creator of an island to do all sorts of stuff would create an incredibly unique storytelling and RP environment. Lets hope someone does that some day.

To clarify, Island Forge is pointed in that direction, but ductape is correct that my current focus has not been on real-time interactive DM capabilities. Rather, players set up their islands and stories, then others can explore and follow your storyline at their own pace. The island designer does not need to be present to "run the show."

Creating a player-created content MMO was a big task, and it was very important for me to focus on the core features. Now that Island Forge provides a solid platform, there are a number of directions that could be taken for future expansions. I'm all about player input, so thanks for checking back in to express your thoughts, ductape.

Personally, I don't find real-time DM capability to be very practical, from a player point-of-view, but what do others think? Rather, I'm inclined to add more features that allow the island author to set up more elaborate quest structures and environments (such as gates, keys, boss monsters, monster spawners, caves, ...).

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2012, 10:49:34 am »

Thanks for your replies!
You make a great dev.
(players love devs that are active in the community)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2012, 01:24:52 pm »

Aye, I did read that, and I know, its best compared to minecraft adventure maps, where someone designs something, and later someone else downloads the map and plays the adventure, but I meant in terms of the creator/player, one playing and one who had built it. I too long for what you said.

To clarify, Island Forge is pointed in that direction, but ductape is correct that my current focus has not been on real-time interactive DM capabilities. Rather, players set up their islands and stories, then others can explore and follow your storyline at their own pace. The island designer does not need to be present to "run the show."

Creating a player-created content MMO was a big task, and it was very important for me to focus on the core features. Now that Island Forge provides a solid platform, there are a number of directions that could be taken for future expansions. I'm all about player input, so thanks for checking back in to express your thoughts, ductape.

Personally, I don't find real-time DM capability to be very practical, from a player point-of-view, but what do others think? Rather, I'm inclined to add more features that allow the island author to set up more elaborate quest structures and environments (such as gates, keys, boss monsters, monster spawners, caves, ...).
Regarding the DM stuff, I personally would like to have both options, an adventure you can embark on by your self, and enjoy at your own pace(Or whatever the creator has imposed) as well as a story told with friends, where you can take control of NPCs to enhance and alter the game world as the player progresses or makes decisions. A friend and I experimented doing things like this in Gmod, a long time ago, and while it didn't work, it was still pretty fun. So to answer your question, I do believe DM-stuff would be fantastic for groups of friends, but island adventures would probably have wider appeal.

Nyhm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Island Forge
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2012, 01:19:04 pm »

Just wanted to let you know that I did read your post, Dr. Johbson (sorry I neglected to reply at the time). Your description of GM stuff is very compelling. To get version 1.0 finished (hurray), it was very important for me to focus on solid core features, but this is a great thought for future expansion.

By the way, check out the new Island Forge Shoppe (CafePress). Even if you're not a player, consider buying an Island Forge Stein! (Sorry for this commercial advertisement, but I'm trying to drum up a few bucks.)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2012, 01:22:32 pm »

Wat.

Posting to watch!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Nyhm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Island Forge

I'm always eager to post updates here at bay12 to hear what you have to say. I've just updated the OP with my Island Forge Kickstarter project! I really need to get this out to all the indie gamers, so any assistance in spreading the word is most appreciated!

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have you ever considered having the buildings bit more customised where the player (more so, island creator) design the buildings walls/floors/roofs and not just take them out from an established pre painted buildings? you could even have a feature to save a building design and share it with other island builders. that could generate more interesting towns/islands.

Any, a very nice looking project. all the luck with the kickstarter.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6