Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: [Island Forge] Single-dev Player-created content MMORPG (Now Free-to-Play!)  (Read 15748 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: Island Forge (old-school indie MMORPG)
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2012, 12:19:11 am »

One feature of Island Forge that complicates both of these matters is the central role of player-created content. This is still considered a very new type of service - it's downright bleeding-edge where the laws are concerned. So, I hope the community appreciates a small independent game trying to break the mold. It's all about community support, and I am more than willing to discuss these matters further. In any case, it is very worthwhile to hear what potential players have to say, so I know what to improve when we get there! Thank you for your feedback and your interest!

I dunno, Neverwinter Nights has had player made persistent worlds running for like what, 10 years? 2002 is when it was released anyway with the tools to build your own worlds as well as a lobby to browse and connect to said worlds. Not exactly new ground, though it is ground that is rarely tread.
I got nothing

Nyhm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Island Forge
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2012, 08:05:51 am »

One feature of Island Forge that complicates both of these matters is the central role of player-created content. This is still considered a very new type of service - it's downright bleeding-edge where the laws are concerned. So, I hope the community appreciates a small independent game trying to break the mold. It's all about community support, and I am more than willing to discuss these matters further. In any case, it is very worthwhile to hear what potential players have to say, so I know what to improve when we get there! Thank you for your feedback and your interest!

I dunno, Neverwinter Nights has had player made persistent worlds running for like what, 10 years? 2002 is when it was released anyway with the tools to build your own worlds as well as a lobby to browse and connect to said worlds. Not exactly new ground, though it is ground that is rarely tread.

Yes, you're quite right ductape. There are other examples of player-created content, however consider how Island Forge is designed. Neverwinter Nights allowed players to construct scenarios, but someone had to download and host the scenario so you could play it with a few friends. Island Forge hosts everything, making everyone's islands available to all players in an online persistent world.
Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2012, 10:01:00 am »

Yes, you're quite right ductape. There are other examples of player-created content, however consider how Island Forge is designed. Neverwinter Nights allowed players to construct scenarios, but someone had to download and host the scenario so you could play it with a few friends. Island Forge hosts everything, making everyone's islands available to all players in an online persistent world.

Well, if you are going to nit-pick, then there was Ryzom and Ryzom Ring. Exactly like you are talking about and likely more massive in player-base than your game will ever be (maybe, but Ryzom was pretty big back in its day).

http://www.ryzom.com/en/mmorpg-rpg-mmo-ryzom_ring.html
I got nothing

Nyhm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Island Forge
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2012, 03:36:00 pm »

Hey, neat - I've never seen Ryzom. I notice they have a 3D environment and a lot of hard-core character specs. A primary goal of Island Forge is to be less hard-core (but still provide classic attributes). They also seem to have thrown in every rule and mechanic they could think of, which is fine for a hard-core community and I certainly understand where they're coming from, but my approach is to distill the gameplay down to its essential qualities.

Regarding how many people they have, even a massive player base has to start with one. Here's an mmorpg.com article, which implies they have a very small but devoted community. Whereas their world seems to need more people to thrive (according to the article), I've actually designed the gameplay of Island Forge to be very playable with fewer numbers. I have no intent to be the next World of Warcraft. My humble goal is to cultivate a community of creative players, who like to experience each other's islands and stories. Island Forge even has a strong single-player appeal.

Thanks for pointing them out to me, it's a good example of player-created content in an MMORPG. Overall, I'm looking forward to building a friendly player base, and it's good to see other similar games doing well.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2012, 09:09:39 pm »

Ryzom is pretty old at this point, the playerbase was fairly big by 10 years ago standards, at the time. I pointed it out simply because of the player made content, which never took off too much while i was playing it.

There was a point early on in the WoW days that a lot of people were talking about Ryzom, it being like WoW but better. Same old story we hear all the time these days, but back then WoW wasnt so gigantic and games that had the polish to compete with WoW were just not around yet.

Anyway, you never can be sure what it is that makes an MMO gain enough momentum to really gain popularity. Look at Haven & Hearth, basically a fairly primitive game with weird mechanics and strange UI, but for some reason it really gained popularity. I leave it to others to speculate why.

And of course, it doesnt take a million people like WoW to consider yourself successful, but if you could get as many players as Haven & Hearth did, you would be pretty successful I think.

I think to really hit it, you need something super special and different. It's a cool idea to allow people to build their own islands but as I suggested before, I would love it if you took it one step further. Allow island owners to be a sort of GM on their island. Let them breathe life into it the ways GMs do in Neverwinter Nights. Let them jump into NPCs if they want and animate them as they would a player avatar, or let the NPCs follow their routines normally. Let the island owner spawn special encounters and monsters to spice things up and add replayability and a dynamic feel to their islands. Make some sort of announcement system where island owners can announce when they will be on and running special events on their islands.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 09:13:10 pm by ductape »
I got nothing

Nyhm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Island Forge
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2012, 09:37:22 am »

Thanks, ductape. Your perspective on MMO games is very insightful. I have heard of Haven & Hearth, but I haven't played it. I'll be more than pleased to have 1k players subscribed to Island Forge, which I think is a very modest number. The game world and gameplay are designed around this kind of population. I have expansion plans beyond that, but I must focus on the initial player base.

I completely get where you're coming from on the DM/GM angle. One of my primary goals for Island Forge is to seek simplicity. Many RPG designs tend toward adding more and more complex features, whereas I'm trying to find the sweet spot of creative flexibility while remaining uncomplicated. Being a DM/GM would be exciting, but is a very hard-core feature. Nonetheless, I really like the way you envisioned it, and it's a strong concept for potential future editions.

Since you have a good feel for the MMO community, let me ask you (and everyone else) whether you think players would help support Island Forge by subscribing during beta. I'm considering turning on _optional_ subscriptions, even though, technically, I'm still running the service as beta.

By the way, here's an introductory video I made: http://youtu.be/sIDqi2FeB_w

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2012, 11:54:39 am »

I want other people to chime in on your question so I will try not to hog space here.

I am going to be honest, I would pay for this. Theres just not enough features for me to do so. Now, I may not see it all that you have in there, but simply making adventures an then running around and playing a bunch of player made adventures sounds like fun for a brief time, for me.

Hey B12 folks chime in here and give feedback!
I got nothing

Nyhm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Island Forge
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2012, 03:48:26 pm »

What Island Forge focuses on is providing a set of nice features that allow players to be creative and create their own content (islands and optional stories). I've distilled the gameplay into its fundamental aspects to make it simple, but I've done things in an entirely unique way (yet with all the classic elements). I didn't want to make yet-another-RPG with the same old systems. I recognize that this implies a niche audience, rather than a mass-market game, but I think that's a very good thing in the long run.

I'm seeking that core audience, and I hope the B12 community appreciates where I'm coming from. I've gotten a lot of constructive feedback from this community, so I'll post this announcement here first:

Now you can Subscribe During Beta to help out as we continue to enhance the game during Beta. See details on the membership page: http://islandforge.com/membership/

If you want to help an indie developer, please consider subscribing (I'd be extremely excited to have your support). Also see the perks on the membership page. Thank you for your interest, and further suggestions are most welcome.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:59:15 pm by Nyhm »

Nyhm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Island Forge
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2012, 12:32:56 pm »

Hello bay12 community. I've appreciated the feedback from here and just wanted to post a quick update that Island Forge is continuing to ramp up!

Island Forge is now listed on mmorpg.com's massive Game List. We're excited to have lots of new signups (and you can still Subscribe During Beta for a special offer). If you haven't seen the YouTube video, please have a look. Island Forge is all about player-created content, and there are several new player-created islands to explore (see the online Atlas).

Thank you for your interest!

Nyhm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Island Forge
Re: Island Forge (old-school, player-created content, indie MMORPG)
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2012, 02:38:25 pm »

Just a quick update: I've added a global roster feature, which allows you to see everyone who's in the world and direct chat with anyone (plus several other enhancements in the latest beta).

Many beta updates are prompted by player suggestions - your input is most welcome! For quick updates, be sure to follow at: Facebook and Twitter

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2012, 04:00:27 pm »

It looks good enough to try. I'll check it out.

Nyhm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Island Forge
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2012, 12:11:32 pm »

I would like to let the bay12 community know about the latest major new feature I just added:

Island Forge: Now with Coinage!

There is a new Market shop where you can sell items for GP (Coinage). The new Market system provides a somewhat more traditional RPG experience, while still retaining the uniqueness of Island Forge. Moreover, character level is now tied directly to health and healing, so you must maintain your HP, lest you die in combat and lose levels.

I've had some good feedback from your community, and I'm eager to hear what players feel about the new GP system. Thank you for your input!

Nyhm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Island Forge
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2012, 01:22:36 pm »

Sorry for the double post, but this is a big announcement that I wanted to share with folks here:

I am extremely excited to announce that Island Forge is no longer in Beta! Thank you very much to all who participated and commented during Beta from the bay12 community.

Like Island Forge on Facebook and follow on Twitter to help us spread the exciting news!

Deedicla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2012, 02:50:28 am »

For some reason, I think threads that contain games which you have to pay in shouldn't exist.

/thread

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2012, 05:02:51 am »

For some reason, I think threads that contain games which you have to pay in shouldn't exist.

/thread

That means most of the threads posted in Other Games...
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6