Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: [Island Forge] Single-dev Player-created content MMORPG (Now Free-to-Play!)  (Read 15741 times)

Nyhm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Island Forge

Update: Island Forge is now Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!

This update is prompted by community input and the success of my recent Kickstarter project. Thank you for your interest in Island Forge. As always, community input is most welcome!

Hello bay12 community - I love the retro style of bay12games, so I thought I'd mention Island Forge: the brand-new old-school MMORPG where you can create your own islands and stories for others to explore.

From what I've seen of bay12's games, I think players here would enjoy the creative/constructive nature of Island Forge (build islands, construct quests, exploration, crafting, etc.).

See some of the islands others have created on the Atlas page.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 02:20:32 pm by Nyhm »
Island Forge: Create Islands with Stories for Others to Explore!
Free-to-Play with Membership and Upgrade options!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Island Forge (old-school indie MMORPG)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 02:35:09 pm »

So, do you just build islands, or do you have to find things to build islands with, or what?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 02:37:25 pm »

BLATENT UNADULTERATED ADVERTISING!

But it does look interesting, so I forgive you  :P

Nyhm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Island Forge
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 02:43:34 pm »

Yes, shameless self-promotion. I apologize, but I'm really glad you think it looks interesting!

Island building is separate from the gameplay. Island creation is not restricted by or based on what your character does in the world.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 02:45:37 pm »

So you have god element where you can create mountain ranges and all that sort of thing and then you adventure through it with a character?
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 02:45:51 pm »

What can the charaters do?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 03:00:38 pm »

I spent a bit of time with it.

Pros:
Great retro graphics(think Ultima Online)
Creation and adventure possibilities

Cons:
Input lag
No clear idea on what to do
Combat is very simple. Press attack and wait for them to bash it out.

Congrats on an enormous project. It is a lot of work for a one man team, but sometimes you might be better off recruiting some help. Good luck and thanks for sharing your game. I look forward to seeing how it plays out.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Nyhm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Island Forge
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 03:11:13 pm »

Thanks for all the quick feedback, everyone. Here's a rundown on the gameplay:

The game features a built-in island builder tool, which allows you to design your island(s) and construct stories/quests. Design involves laying out the terrain and scenery tiles. Story creation allows you to place NPCs and give them interactive (multiple choice) dialogue. You can also define tasks, and the NPC dialogue engine can branch based on which tasks have been started/completed. It's like a little scripting system.

Island creation (and gameplay) are fairly free-form, but there are some rules. For instance, every island must have a town space separated from the "wild" (expedition) area. When your island is ready, it can be published to the world for everyone else to explore, follow your stories/quests, leave comments, and rate.

The gameplay involves classic RPG elements, but in a new unique way. Your character leaves the Gatehouse on an expedition into the wild, where you will encounter creatures, uncover the terrain, and maybe interact with story elements (if that's how the island's author designed it). Combat gives you raw resources, which you process into crafting materials, which you use (along with XP) to craft weaponry/equipment/potions/spells/etc.

Explore the islands, follow the stories, then create your own.

Edit: By the way, thanks for trying it out, hemmingjay. Combat is definitely simple (on purpose) and gameplay is rather self-directed, but I'm very open to suggestions. In particular, could you elaborate on the "input lag" (not exactly sure what you're describing)? Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:22:23 pm by Nyhm »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 03:30:34 pm »

Looks interesting.  Out of curiosity, what is the payment model (if its even been decided)?  monthly fee?  F2P?  One time payment?
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 03:40:00 pm »

some questions:

Are these islands persistent? In other words, can you go to an island and bump into other players doing the same island?

Any plans for a GM like mode where the creator of an island can actively make changes on the fly such as spawn encounters, possess NPCs, trigger events, etc?

If you do this, you will have created the beginning of something i would find very interesting. I basically want a place to play out Role PLaying adventures with people. Something akin to Neverwinter Nights persistent worlds.

IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES!

Or maybe your vision is totally different...
I got nothing

Nyhm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Island Forge
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 04:02:50 pm »

Are these islands persistent? In other words, can you go to an island and bump into other players doing the same island?

Each island's town area is shared space for everyone in the game world (all at once). When you start an expedition via the Gatehouse (to explore the fog-covered area beyond the safety of town), you are on an instance (for you and your party) until you return to town via the Gatehouse. Any story/quest progress persists on the island, even as you go to/from town. When you leave an island (via the Dock), story/quest progress is reset.

Any plans for a GM like mode where the creator of an island can actively make changes on the fly such as spawn encounters, possess NPCs, trigger events, etc?

I know exactly what you're looking for, but not in this initial release. I must keep things simple to get started. One complicating factor would be the expedition instances (described above). Any one island may have many expedition instances ongoing at once. In addition, each player character (avatar) on an island has his/her own progress in the story/quest. I'll certainly keep such a DM concept in mind for future releases.

Looks interesting.  Out of curiosity, what is the payment model (if its even been decided)?  monthly fee?  F2P?  One time payment?

The plan is a simple, flat, monthly fee. Several models have been considered, but to get started, a monthly fee seems the best approach.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 04:05:38 pm »

Sounds interesting!

I noticed the image on this page doesn't work fyi:

http://islandforge.com/2012/many-player-prompted-improvements/

If you click on it you get an error.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Nyhm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Island Forge
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 04:10:59 pm »

Sounds interesting!

I noticed the image on this page doesn't work fyi:

http://islandforge.com/2012/many-player-prompted-improvements/

If you click on it you get an error.

Good catch - thanks for noticing that. I removed the link for that image.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 04:11:51 pm »

The plan is a simple, flat, monthly fee. Several models have been considered, but to get started, a monthly fee seems the best approach.

Woot, that is my favorite one.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Nyhm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Island Forge
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 04:19:21 pm »

Woot, that is my favorite one.  :)

Thanks for the feedback, Levi, and glad to hear it. I know a lot of games uses a freemium approach to hook players, but isn't it nicer to just play and have fun, rather than feeling like you're missing out on features unless you pay anyway. Plus you get to support your friendly neighborhood indie game developer!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6