Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Vampire CSI  (Read 34753 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire CSI
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2012, 06:22:16 pm »

I haven't seen any vampires yet... but... is it a token in the Raws somewhere that makes a race vampire-able? Since I'm using a custom race, I may have not noticed any new tokens when I skimmed through the raws...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2012, 06:22:31 pm »

He IS a vampire, he absolutly detests buck rabbits, and the the rabbit is vampire!

!Bunnicula!

!Alucinnub!

Am I the only one who caught the Helsing reference? :P

Anyway...

The nickname method is so undorfy. Like quantum stockpiles. But you know most everyone is going to do it anyway. Like quantum stockpiles. xD

When they start trying to kill your useful dwarves, you gotta find out who is what.

And quantum stockpiles aren't undwarfy, as dwarves clearly have a grasp of physics beyond the other races' ability to comprehend.

Kluge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2012, 06:23:06 pm »

IIRC, someone else said that doesn't work. The "solution" was to stuff everyone in a dormitory, have a squad patrol it. My barracks is temporarily located in the dormitory, and so far, no more over-feedings have occurred, so Idunno. I'm currently having a strange problem where I'm fairly sure I've located the vampire through Dwarf Therapist due to his high skills, but I can't find the dwarf anywhere in the fortress and he doesn't appear in unit lists through "appoint noble" or "assign to squad" menus. Though, Therapist seems pretty buggy in the latest release (migration waves don't appear correctly, children are shown in DT even when it's marked in options that they aren't supposed to, possible goose chase with likely vampire).
It's possible that DT is showing his true name while the menu is showing an alias. If you're already using un-DF methods of locating him just go through your citizens and try to assign them nicknames.
The suspected vampire can be nicknamed, and it sticks in DT, but he still doesn't appear to exist. Will try everyone else.

It doesn't stick in the game though, which is what he's getting at. I had to do this to screen migrants.
Right, and that'd be a great detection method if the character DT is picking up appeared in DF. Ended up renaming everyone, and it looks like DT was picking up on the real name, not the alias. Athel Mebzuthtiling doesn't exist in DT, but Mebzuth Tathsazir (similar name a coincidence?) doesn't appear in DF. At any rate, the vampire has been detected and will be burnt with fire. Thanks, Bro!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2012, 06:25:46 pm »

Can vampires ever be stopped before finishing the act if witnessed?  Or is draining instant?

I believe it is instant, so far they have been caught in the act, however the victim always seems to die.

I have a dwarf that has seemingly survived when a witness popped up.  It was Pale, now merely Faint.  But no one reported the vampire having done anything... Unless I just have to wait for the job to queue.
I just noticed one of my miners was "faint", and stopped to rest half way to the tile he was supposed to be working on.  I suspect my Chief Medical Vampire to be responsible for this.

Why do I refer to him as my Chief Medical Vampire?  Well, his attributes made him a good choice for a doctor (likes to help others, doesn't procrastinate, etc), but when I went to double check I had assigned him the role I saw he was still listed as "Jeweler". Checking his history (viewing his status) I noticed he's a former member of about a dozen previous locations. He tends to hand out in his bedroom, admiring the bed, but I've yet to see him sleep in it.  I also haven't had any one die ... yet.  This is the first victim I've noticed, but them I've only got 47 dwarves (roughly 10 of those children).

I was about to save the game when I noticed this, so I didn't check the victims stats.  I'll do that next time I start up the fortress Asushrir.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2012, 06:28:26 pm »

Right, and that'd be a great detection method if the character DT is picking up appeared in DF. Ended up renaming everyone, and it looks like DT was picking up on the real name, not the alias. Athel Mebzuthtiling doesn't exist in DT, but Mebzuth Tathsazir (similar name a coincidence?) doesn't appear in DF. At any rate, the vampire has been detected and will be burnt with fire. Thanks, Bro!
I'm not sure you understand what I was suggesting, if you go through the units list in DF and give a vampire a nickname their name won't change because they're using an alias. DT doesn't come into play.

Kluge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2012, 06:57:07 pm »

I'm not sure you understand what I was suggesting, if you go through the units list in DF and give a vampire a nickname their name won't change because they're using an alias. DT doesn't come into play.
Maybe I misinterpreted when I originally read how to detect using nickname method. I thought the names would be the same in DT as in DF, except that the nickname wouldn't take in DF if I tried renaming. Instead, when I thought I found a vampire in DT due to high stats, I couldn't find that dwarf in DF because the names weren't the same (one named A.M. in DF, one named M.T. in DT -- they were both the same person, but DF referred to the dwarf by the alias, DT referred to it by its real name [or another alias, I guess is possible]). That's all that confused me.

twichyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2012, 03:07:47 am »

Idk if anyone has posted about watching vampire feeding, but i just witnessed it happening

My vampire was locked up for a year in prison and the second he was let free he ran immediately to a random bedroom with a sleeping farmer in it

His symbol color changed to the color of a child/baby(darkish red), and he stood there for a while and the one he was feeding off lived for a little bit aswell, so feeding is not instant.

I noticed the farmer flashed an injured symbol for half a second then he died, and the Vampire went on his merry way

Hilariously he ended up blaming a nearby wardog for the murder

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2012, 02:49:03 pm »

Idk if anyone has posted about watching vampire feeding, but i just witnessed it happening

My vampire was locked up for a year in prison and the second he was let free he ran immediately to a random bedroom with a sleeping farmer in it

His symbol color changed to the color of a child/baby(darkish red), and he stood there for a while and the one he was feeding off lived for a little bit aswell, so feeding is not instant.

I noticed the farmer flashed an injured symbol for half a second then he died, and the Vampire went on his merry way

Hilariously he ended up blaming a nearby wardog for the murder
It's like the vampires are playing TF2.

"DISPENSER IS SPY!"
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2012, 03:02:09 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's like the vampires are playing TF2.

"DISPENSER IS SPY!"
You can play this game too and convict zombie crab pincer.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2012, 03:43:06 pm »

Just got a vampire who's has a non-vampire daughter.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2012, 06:13:17 pm »

I noticed something.  Found my vampire using the social skills sorting.  You can't assign a vampire to your militia.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2012, 06:17:05 pm »

I noticed something.  Found my vampire using the social skills sorting.  You can't assign a vampire to your militia.  They also don't show in the units screen?  I can't find him to accuse either.  He shows up in my dorf therapist.  Name is Mebzul Itk... something, but can't find him for the life of me in any of my units screens.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 06:19:50 pm by thistleknot »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2012, 06:21:46 pm »

I noticed something.  Found my vampire using the social skills sorting.  You can't assign a vampire to your militia.
If you're using DT then you're seeing two different names. In the game the vampire will always be referred to by their alias, that's why trying to nickname them can expose them, in DT they're called by their true name.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2012, 06:33:36 pm »

Got one!  Key points:

Like others mentioned, he had tons of previous civilization memberships, but the real convincing attribute was his mood; he had no modifiers related to enjoying a fine meal/drink/etc. or dining room.  Also, one other interesting point; his description was having slightly wrinkled skin and graying hair, but neither of these attributes start until at least age 80 in the raws.  His age in the description was sixty-five, so that's also solid evidence.  The way I found him was he in fact had accused someone else of committing the crime so I took a look at both of them for suspicious traits.

Another interesting note was the first dwarf cursed with vampirism by Ikal had been cursed in 216; the current year is 302 so that dwarf would be at least aged eighty-six by today.  I'm thinking that's our vampire, although it could be one of the others cursed in the 270's.  Every vampire came from a fort named Gripcloister, incidentally.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2012, 06:47:14 pm »

that was it, doren rurcatten, I'm out to get you!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9