Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Vampire CSI  (Read 34770 times)

andy_t_roo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire CSI
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2012, 07:04:00 pm »

If a dwarf worships a deity who has never cursed someone with vampirism, would that rule them out?
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Hell if I know.  Pretty humourous suggestion, but utterly useless in the case of roleplaying, if indeed the whole game world was one whole huge ass field of fruit.

Boogeyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2012, 07:58:50 pm »

A vampire set to train 24/7 will take breaks to have a "break". He will show up as "on break" or "Soldier (no activity)".

Issuing military command to a feeding vampire will not interrupt him. Nor will recruiting the meal and issuing him an order.

A dwarf that has been fed on, but hasn't died gets the pale status after some bloodsucking.

Designating a bed to be removed doesn't interrupt the feeding (don't what goes on if someone gets there in time to actually do the removal).

The vampire may accuse someone of the murder even if no one saw him doing it. This time my vampire accused  stray gander (tame) of the deed.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:09:42 pm by Boogeyman »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2012, 09:05:39 pm »

A dwarf that has been fed on, but hasn't died gets the pale status after some bloodsucking.

Are dwarves who survive bloodsucking really large, super tough, super healthy (rarely get sick), or a combination of the above?

Boogeyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2012, 10:17:45 pm »

My vampire is refusing to drink booze. I've closed him from the rest of the dwarves and I suspect lack of blood is preventing him from getting smashed.

Are dwarves who survive bloodsucking really large, super tough, super healthy (rarely get sick), or a combination of the above?

No idea.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2012, 10:46:58 pm »

2. It is possible for one of your dwarves to accuse a non dwarf of murder. One of my dwarves accused a buck rabbit.

That's hilarious. Particularly since in one of my past fortresses a pet bunny actually caused the death of several immigrants.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2012, 10:50:17 pm »

a pet bunny actually caused the death of several immigrants.

That. Is. Awesome.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2012, 12:03:02 am »

I have a vampire but no prisons or atom smashers... Or really a military capable of handling him.

I am so screwed.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2012, 01:50:15 pm »

I just got my first vampire. And one whom I suspect of vampirism but I don't want to spoil the surprise so I haven't made thorough investigation.

The obvious one: claims to be 28 years old. Is the grandmother of a 127 year old resident. Has been kicked out of a fuckton of civilizations.

Interesting note about her as well. My fort is in a very homogenous world and everyone has silver eyes and mahogany hair ... but the vampire has WHITE hair and none of the wrinkles that come with age. You can use this to help identify vamps.

Now about the suspect ... it's just an oddity. It is a dwarven child who is 14 years old. He SHOULD have grown up by now ...
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Protesilaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2012, 02:09:22 pm »

Can anyone confirm if the will drink from non-dwarf sources? I always end up with goblin prisoners with nothing to do with them so it would be nice to setup a blood den.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2012, 02:17:26 pm »

Interesting note about her as well. My fort is in a very homogenous world and everyone has silver eyes and mahogany hair ... but the vampire has WHITE hair and none of the wrinkles that come with age. You can use this to help identify vamps.
Mine has gray hairs with sepia. However, since vampires tend to knock about the world their appearance can be different from the rest of your dwarves. This won't help finding patriotic vampires.

Now about the suspect ... it's just an oddity. It is a dwarven child who is 14 years old. He SHOULD have grown up by now ...
I have one 13 years-old. Right now, when I've looked into his description alcohol withdrawal syndrome scared the shit out of me, but then I realized that ALL my dwarves experience it so not 100%
Spoiler: the answer (click to show/hide)

Vampires seem to be distant in relations with others. Since I've renamed his profession via therapist to draft him and didn't notice that one recruit is missing he's been chilling in the meeting are for a long time and still has only passing acquaintances.

Also, someone has already mentioned that undead and vamps ignore each other, thus, first (maybe only) dwarves that get to the entrance in evil biomes are risk-group. On the side note they make good woodcutters.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Kluge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2012, 05:29:12 pm »

Wait, it's been confirmed that dogs will attack a feeding vampire?  Someone mentioned in another thread that this didn't work.
They won't? Oh, then police state. Garrison soldiers in everyone's room.
IIRC, someone else said that doesn't work. The "solution" was to stuff everyone in a dormitory, have a squad patrol it. My barracks is temporarily located in the dormitory, and so far, no more over-feedings have occurred, so Idunno. I'm currently having a strange problem where I'm fairly sure I've located the vampire through Dwarf Therapist due to his high skills, but I can't find the dwarf anywhere in the fortress and he doesn't appear in unit lists through "appoint noble" or "assign to squad" menus. Though, Therapist seems pretty buggy in the latest release (migration waves don't appear correctly, children are shown in DT even when it's marked in options that they aren't supposed to, possible goose chase with likely vampire).

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2012, 06:03:33 pm »

IIRC, someone else said that doesn't work. The "solution" was to stuff everyone in a dormitory, have a squad patrol it. My barracks is temporarily located in the dormitory, and so far, no more over-feedings have occurred, so Idunno. I'm currently having a strange problem where I'm fairly sure I've located the vampire through Dwarf Therapist due to his high skills, but I can't find the dwarf anywhere in the fortress and he doesn't appear in unit lists through "appoint noble" or "assign to squad" menus. Though, Therapist seems pretty buggy in the latest release (migration waves don't appear correctly, children are shown in DT even when it's marked in options that they aren't supposed to, possible goose chase with likely vampire).
It's possible that DT is showing his true name while the menu is showing an alias. If you're already using un-DF methods of locating him just go through your citizens and try to assign them nicknames.

Kluge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2012, 06:12:59 pm »

It's possible that DT is showing his true name while the menu is showing an alias. If you're already using un-DF methods of locating him just go through your citizens and try to assign them nicknames.
The suspected vampire can be nicknamed, and it sticks in DT, but he still doesn't appear to exist. Will try everyone else.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2012, 06:15:09 pm »

The suspected vampire can be nicknamed, and it sticks in DT, but he still doesn't appear to exist. Will try everyone else.

It doesn't stick in the game though, which is what he's getting at. I had to do this to screen migrants.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2012, 06:20:34 pm »

He IS a vampire, he absolutly detests buck rabbits, and the the rabbit is vampire!

!Bunnicula!

!Alucinnub!

Am I the only one who caught the Helsing reference? :P

Anyway...

The nickname method is so undorfy. Like quantum stockpiles. But you know most everyone is going to do it anyway. Like quantum stockpiles. xD
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9