Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Vampire CSI  (Read 34736 times)

surturhero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Vampire CSI
« on: February 16, 2012, 12:55:56 pm »

Vampires can be a great boon to your fortress, or the end of it. Either way it's always a good idea to make sure you know about all the vampires in your fort. Sometimes death is necessary to insure the continual growth of the fortress, however vampires can also be the saviors of your fort.

Safe:
-Your starting 7 are always clean, it's migrants you need to watch out for.
-Carvans also appear clear so far.
-Children born in your fort are clean as well, and possibly even those born to vampire parents won't have vampirism.(confirm?)
Detection:
-Always check your migrant's bio. If you see a long list of "form member of ...." this is so far the most common warning of a vampire.
-Another red flag is a young age for an otherwise experienced dwarf.
-Check their relations they have,  so far a 100% way to tell if your dwarf is a vampire is by giving them a standout profession nickname, then view the history of their diety. Once you find your dwarfs name read the description. This should state that "Diety has recieved worship for dwarf vampire "their name" or "Diety has cursed dwarf vampire "their name" to prowl the night in search of blood...".
-Another relationship check is by looking at their relatives if this is possible. If the younger sister is somehow older than your suspect things might not be as they seem.
-Also your dwarves can't be expected to pick up on this, they'd confuse their own mother as urist mcvampire.
-Dieties will also curse dwarves with vampirism, so if your suspect worships a diety that has done this in the past and you don't want to go through all the history consider this another bit of evidence.
Confirming:
-Best way is to seal them off in their own little area. If they get hungry or thristy they are probably not a vampire. However vampire dwarves do still carry on their love of beer, and will work slower if cut off from the stuff. (I'm guessing this is because of the BAC of dwarf blood.)
-Another way is to select them for a burrow with a brave soul(victim). Leave them be for about a month in the area. If urist mcvictim goes missing, you know who it is.
-To get dwarves to notice this use structures that allow vision in a busy hall. Vampires don't seem to notice that fortifications allow others to notice their activities. All you need to do is arrange the meeting.
-Give the suspected vampire a nickname or noble title, if the nickname does not appear it is because they are using a fake name.
-Appears vampires don't suffocate, use this knowledge wisely.
Anyone who has any more information to add would be great, or correct me if I made a mistake. I would go on as to what to do but their are many ways to have fun with this, so i'll let you decide what to do with your vampires.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:29:48 pm by surturhero »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire CSI
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 01:01:00 pm »

Can vampires ever be stopped before finishing the act if witnessed?  Or is draining instant?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 01:05:41 pm »

If you have a suspected vampire give them a nickname or a noble title, a vampire's fake name won't change to reflect these things.

It's a little Salemish but if you dip them in paralyzing goo and they don't die they're a vampire- vampires don't breathe so they won't suffocate.

surturhero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 01:17:22 pm »

Can vampires ever be stopped before finishing the act if witnessed?  Or is draining instant?

I believe it is instant, so far they have been caught in the act, however the victim always seems to die.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 01:27:43 pm »

I believe it is instant, so far they have been caught in the act, however the victim always seems to die.

Bleh, that's not so much fun.  I don't want an important dwarf to die from something that can't be mitigated at all.  I suppose I'll use the cheap way custom naming to weed them out with an atomsmasher. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:31:18 pm by VerdantSF »

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 01:46:14 pm »

Had anyone observe the process of feeding already? If it's not instant one could interrupt it with cave-in dust or invader probably.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 01:51:41 pm »

Had anyone observe the process of feeding already? If it's not instant one could interrupt it with cave-in dust or invader probably.
I've stuffed a child into a room with a vampire but it won't eat the little bastard.

Boogeyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 03:03:17 pm »

Here is a save file where a vampire is currently feeding on a sleeping dwarf. It is happening on level -9 just south of the central staircase.

Feeding vampire is represented with a red Ñ (same letter as ghost). He's name is also in red in the Unit menu. He is "On break".

http://www.filedropper.com/region1_1

I savescummed and was able to stop the target dwarf from dying by defining a burrow where I placed the vampire.

You can also notice that the fort is spiraling because of the vampire infestation. (there are 3)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:13:04 pm by Boogeyman »

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 05:05:55 pm »

Sir, it seems that this dwarf got in a fight with her husband, and her blood was drained!

"I guess you could say it was... That time of the month!"

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 05:15:58 pm »

In longer world gens, vampires also tend to have fed on literally thousands of dwarves. If you see a migrant with many dwarf kills, perhaps over a hundred, they are likely to be a vampire.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 05:32:57 pm »

In longer world gens, vampires also tend to have fed on literally thousands of dwarves. If you see a migrant with many dwarf kills, perhaps over a hundred, they are likely to be a vampire.
I think their fake persona hides their kills. But if they've been kicked out of dozens of civilizations they're a bloodsucker.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 05:36:56 pm »

Vampires are awesome.  :-*

I can park mine forever at the entrance of the fort and he stays quite content there. He's just depressed for long patrol duty.

Now he's running around smashing giant mosquitos with a silver mace.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:02:55 pm by Wastedlabor »
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 05:43:51 pm »

i tried to confine my vampire to his own personal prison and use him as cheap labor (manager) but unfortunately he still needs alcohol (or alcohol containing dwarf blood?) or the work gets unbelievably slow done...
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

Boogeyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 05:55:50 pm »

I utilized the three I had as military. I set them up in a room with a bed (in order to make it a barracks) and set them to train nonstop. I sealed the room with a bridge opening to outside my fort. All three were confirmed as vampires when they didn't sleep, eat or drink. Once the gobbos came I opened the bridge and the vampires were slaughtered. Not a surprise really as I didn't give them alcohol or weapons.

Military utilization of vampires sounds nice but as they need booze things get complicated.

I'm quite confident burrows are a way to prevent vampires from feeding, and to control them otherwise too.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 09:19:00 pm »

Burrowed my second vampire, then sent it to attack some wolverines. He went to pick up equipment and found him 'on break' in the bedroom. Deconstructing the bed saved the poor sleeping guy.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9