Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Vampire CSI  (Read 34719 times)

Electrode

• Bay Watcher
  • murmurs horrible curses
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire CSI
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2012, 05:35:41 pm »

-Carvans also appear clear so far.

This might not count, but last night I got a visit from the Human liason - not only was he an Amphibian man, but a (pre-identified) vampire to boot. And he drained one of my miners while he was waiting to meet the Baron...

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2012, 06:08:36 pm »

Argh. I've got a vampire in my fort, but i couldn't seem to identify the sucker apart from the nicknaming thing. Well, that and the fact he had a few great and accomplished social skills (and was the mayor :P)
Magma is overrated.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2012, 05:21:18 am »

-Another red flag is a young age for an otherwise experienced dwarf.

I have a baby who is proficient in crossbow and seven other combat disciplines. I have no idea how.

Plus one of my vampires was able to drain three dwarves in a meeting area/dorm that was also a busy hallway leading to the trade stockpile without anyone seeing a thing. Its gotten worse as I've started making bedrooms (no doors and a fortification wall) I had one drain a mother who had a baby with her. Pretty much anyone who has a desire to sleep alone has a death wish. I'm building the noble quarter now, if any of them survive I think I might have a suspect. These vampires have borked my standard protocol for living areas, I'm almost afraid to make a dining hall because idlers will go there rather than to the areas that look into the bedrooms.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2012, 05:26:23 am »

(I'm guessing this is because of the BAC of dwarf blood.)

I believe you mean ABC sir.

I believe he meant blood-alcohol content, sir.
And I believe he meant alchohol-blood content. :P

Ya... That was actually the first thing I thought of when I woke up :p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2012, 05:41:31 am »

erm.. toady have alrady fixed blaming animals and nicknaming for next release FYI.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2012, 05:52:51 am »

erm.. toady have alrady fixed blaming animals and nicknaming for next release FYI.

:'( there goes my ability to detect vampires in-game... Guess I'll just keep using DT :D
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2012, 06:58:25 am »

My god...it was the mayor all along, my setup worked for once, now I've got him locked in a cell with a chain made by one of his victims. I can pipe magma directly into cell (actually any cell in the prison) but I think I'll let him live...trapped, if anyone beats him in an election I'll automatically know another vampire is in the fortress.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2012, 07:24:13 am »

My god...it was the mayor all along, my setup worked for once, now I've got him locked in a cell with a chain made by one of his victims. I can pipe magma directly into cell (actually any cell in the prison) but I think I'll let him live...trapped, if anyone beats him in an election I'll automatically know another vampire is in the fortress.

Mayby you can get him to make stone crafts.
That would be neat.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2012, 12:52:18 pm »

found out i have a vampire... because i checked his weaponry kills and it lists him as dwarf mcvampire kills 3 kobalds.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2012, 11:03:39 am »

I had a vampire, and looked through this thread for answers on how to find it..
2 murders have happened now, while the victims were sleeping.

People have reported abnormally high practical and social skills, so I decided to start my search with my mayor.
Instant find.

Here's a screenshot of the description screen.
Please notice the lack of thoughts related to dining, sleeping and drinking, and the abnormally long list of former colonies.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:05:53 am by Danarca »
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Thuvian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2012, 06:14:27 pm »

I've found that using Dwarf Therapist to clear my migrant waves as they come in as being very helpful. Not by automatically identifying the vampire, but by helping me keep track of who is not a vampire. The method is quite simple. Vampires do not sleep or drink alcohol. So (until Toady changes that), every now and then pause the game and switch over to DT. Sort dwarves by current task. Scroll down until you get to the dwarves who are drinking and sleeping. Assign those dwarves to a rarely/never used task (Alchemy, Animal Dissection, trapping, whatever). After a few weeks you should manage to catch every normal dwarf in the act of sleeping or drinking. Any dwarf that fails to eat or drink deserves special attention. f you keep up on this on a regular basis after every new migrant wave, you should be able to spot any vampires before they manage to strike. Obviously you'll want to disable whichever skill you are using to keep track of this on new migrants as they arrive.

I've also found that enabling all doctor tasks (since the only benefit of an increased doctor skill is faster performance) on all dwarves allows me to separate new migrants from old dwarves. At least until they get the bugs worked out on migration wave ordering.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2012, 01:14:39 pm »

Huh. Found a way of spotting vampires 100% of the time.

Numbered every single one of my migrant waves from the time they arrived, and never spotted a single vampire death. I screened each individual migrant from migrant to migrant, checking for oddities, with an exception to migrant wave 8.
This wave I segregated from the rest of the fort, and skimmed over without paying much interest to them at all. I used them for lycanthrope testing, where just a while ago I found a really strange oddity where myself, expecting the Dwarves I sent to die were saved by one particular Dwarf with no combat skills or experience savagely beat the ever hating crap out of the original were-civet. All Dwarves involved were bitten, shaken and bleeding like no tomorrow, confirming the curse had been passed on, and sure enough, come full moon, all of the Dwarves had transformed.

Except of course, the hero Dwarf. Shocked, I checked over that Dwarf and saw nothing suspicious - explaining how I never caught it in the first place, and low and behold, it was over 280 years old. Vampire confirmed. It was just my luck that I confined that one wave away from the entire fort... And I had a were-civet.
Science prevails

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2012, 03:51:29 pm »

If you start looking immediately after the body is found a vampire will have "took joy in slaughter"

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2012, 04:55:06 pm »

Can vampires ever be stopped before finishing the act if witnessed?  Or is draining instant?

I believe it is instant, so far they have been caught in the act, however the victim always seems to die.

WRONG. It takes time in fortress mode, if there are idlers nearby you have a reasonable chance to deconstruct the bed in time. That wakes the victim, who'll be stunned for a few secs and pale for a loong time, but alive. Not much chance though, unless you follow the vampire.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

WriterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2012, 04:56:24 pm »

I was somewhat lucky with finding my first ever vampire. The sucker killed my Militia Commander in the barracks and somebody in the open... yet I could not pin-point him immediately.

I finally found him by checking each colonist seperately. He stood out because he did not eat or drink at all, and I knew he was in the fortress for some time. Currently I had to lock him in with the pigs... no idea what should I do with him next.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9