Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: What do you think is the best weapon?  (Read 36192 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think is the best weapon?
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2012, 04:37:03 pm »

I like maces as they are easy to train as a peasant hunting crabs.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2012, 04:50:36 pm »

I would like to change my favorite to Urist McSpeardwarf's right upper leg.

ShadowLop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2012, 02:50:29 am »

Any decent hit to the head will kill any living thing in one hit

Ettin.
Hmm...a trade? Intriguing...No, wait, boring! PULL OFF HIS KNEECAPS!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2012, 02:56:23 am »

Any decent hit to the head will kill any living thing in one hit

Ettin.
Hydra. For that matter, hydra/ettin crossbreeds. They exist somewhere, I can smell them. Also, my new favorite weapon is 'giant-ass undead army'.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2012, 02:58:29 am »

A unicorn's horn.

Either one you chop off or while playing as a unicorn.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2012, 07:40:37 am »

I like to mix it up in combat. Teeth are probably one of my favourite if ineffectual thrown weapons. In close combat, biting is also pretty fun. It's good to chew someone's tongue off and then throw it at them. But really, my favourite weapon is always the next silly improvised weapon.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

WellBredMutt

• Bay Watcher
  • Go to the Neuro Tower.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2012, 08:47:01 am »

Socks are strangely terrifying. Don't picks, arrows and trap components and such use misc. obj?

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2012, 09:12:16 am »

Picks use mining. Most objects use misc object. Does anyone know off hand what skill scratching trains? Always worth training up unarmed skills, you never know when a ! will pop up.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2012, 09:36:32 am »

Sea Serpent Corpses are the best weapons.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2012, 09:54:04 am »

I think scratching trains Striker.

The best weapon, as we all know though, is a Lead Warhammer.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2012, 10:37:51 am »

On a serious note, while i realise there is a certain amount of !!science!! behind blunt weapons, probably warhammers, being the best in some number-crunchy sense, I find myself prefering swords.

When it come to lights out kills they do fine, longsword to the skull is nearly as sure a kill as hammer to the skull. Never mind breaking limbs, they take them off, and they seem to do a better job of body injury, aside perhaps from making people sick with a stomach blow. If the enemy is very tough and you cant land a CNS hit you can do the death of 1000 cuts. They'll bleed out eventually if you pierce a couple organs and generally slash them up. Marginal blunt weapon hits seem to do almost nothing, not even bleeding.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2012, 12:03:43 pm »

All weapons serve their own niche so really it's a matter of ones play style that decides what works best-

The Regular Weapons:

Pike & Spear - Useful armor busters, can penetrate deep, and make awesome support weapons. The only real downside of the Pike and Spear is that they both fall in two different categories of weapon use. Still, they work well.

Hammer - Precision bashing best describes Hammers. Use them to get through the armored opponents and break their bones, before finishing them off with a strike through their Helmets. Mauls are also two handed so if you want to just crush something you'll have that option.

Mace - Ye old Mace vs Warhammer may favor the Warhammer but Maces include much more then just the simple Mace. Flails and Morningstars make Maces an extremely versatile weapon class; with Maces working best on unarmored opponents and Morningstars crushing armored ones, Flails coming somewhere in the middle. The only downside of the Mace user is that no mace is Two Handed.

Axe - Arm and leg choppers is what an Axe is all about. An Axe will dismember and disembowel, especially if made of good quality. There is also a lot of diversity in the type of Axe you can use, with the Greataxe being an extremely devasting Two Handed Weapon for unarmored opponents, Battle Axes being One Handed and good with Shields, and the Halberd being a little less effective but decent with the stabbing ability for those armored opponents.

Whip - The lightsabres of Dwarf Fortress, a whip will quickly incapacitate an enemy causing them to give in to pain, before a strike to the head will finish them off - with or without armor or helmets! Hammers and Maces might do this but the Whip truly focuses on doing it.

Sword - The most versatile of the weapon classes, great for slice and dice with quick sword thrust to the face! Swords shine for their ability to inflict multiple types of attacks, and coming in various sizes along with the Two Handed Sword makes them a winner for all types of strategies that use them.

The Irregular

Bow & Crossbow - While they work the same for now, the Bow and Crossbow are 2 of the 3 launches in game that players can easily access. Bow's and Crossbow's are perhaps some of the most deadly weapons, only faltering in the fact that it takes a while to reload. They can also be used in melee but if your going to do that you should pull out a different weapon. Bow's and Crossbow's are invaluable support weapons.

Knife - Don't underestimate the simple knife, Knives make for one of the lightest weapons and they can be used in a simple stabbing attack. This makes them a great secondary weapon for say Bowman or Crossbowman. It's also a fairly nice weapon for Wrestlers who want to forgo the Shield. You start with a Knife in the beginning when you make a character in adventure mode, though only Human Outsiders can naturally begin training in the skill.

Pick - Picks technically fall under the Mining skill, but they are perhaps some of the deadliest weapons in game. They tear through solid rock so it is no surprise they tear through armor. They also can lob off body parts. The real problem though is finding them.

Blowgun - Never used them but I'll note they are here. Like picks they are hard to find.

Personally from the list I like Swords the best, being the most versatile weapon for any situation and being available to Dwarves, Humans, and Elves for training. However this doesn't mean it's the best - the best weapon will always be the one that wins out in the specific situation, and that could really be anything.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2012, 12:32:08 pm »

Mh, i like swords the best but i have heard that lightsabers or morningstars rock.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2012, 09:09:18 pm »

The speed rating is my best weapon.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2012, 02:50:24 am »

I like longswords for their versatility, picks for their utter ability to send any part sailing off in an arc, and green glass giant serrated blades for the surprisingly good functionality and the awesome images in my head I get when I use one as a throwing weapon.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9