Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What to do with Vampires  (Read 2328 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
What to do with Vampires
« on: February 16, 2012, 11:30:49 am »

Before the obvious Magma solution vampires are terrible and therefore awesome and valuable. Casting throwing them away feels wasteful. A woman showed up on my porch in the last migrant wave, and I'm pretty sure she's a vampire because the evil rain damaged her spinal cord and she hasn't been able to breathe for about a month now. She may as well be defanged since she can't stand or see but I can't think of anything to do with her.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: What to do with Vampires
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 11:35:16 am »

Before the obvious Magma solution vampires are terrible and therefore awesome and valuable. Casting throwing them away feels wasteful. A woman showed up on my porch in the last migrant wave, and I'm pretty sure she's a vampire because the evil rain damaged her spinal cord and she hasn't been able to breathe for about a month now. She may as well be defanged since she can't stand or see but I can't think of anything to do with her.

Kill her.

she can't stand or see

she can't see

Soldier

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 11:38:34 am »

Kill her.

she can't stand or see

she can't see

Soldier
Oh come on! Where's that sadistic flair? Has the new update made us soft? I have a bloodsucking abomination in disguise trapped in a box and the only idea the community can come up with is kill it?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 11:44:07 am »

she can't see

Soldier
Oh come on! Where's that sadistic flair? Has the new update made us soft? I have a bloodsucking abomination in disguise trapped in a box and the only idea the community can come up with is kill it?

I have a bloodsucking abomination in disguise trapped in a box and the only idea the community can come up with is kill it?

trapped in a box

Is it dead or alive?

Also, you misunderstood me. Make it a soldier. An eyeless soldier is a good soldier.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:44:53 am »

she can't see
Soldier Siege Operator
Fixed for you.

Anyway, my suggestion: give her the deadliest freaking axe in the fort, seal her behind a glass window in your dining hall, and drive her berserk. 'Break the window in case of tantrums', hehe.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 11:48:02 am »

trapped in a box

Is it dead or alive?

Also, you misunderstood me. Make it a soldier. An eyeless soldier is a good soldier.
[/quote]

She's alive. I threw alot of information out there and I sort of buried a big issue-
"evil rain damaged her spinal cord"
she can't stand or grasp, she'd just run around gnawing at ankles.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 11:48:39 am »

Do you know how durable vampires are yet? Because it seems like you could test that by dropping her on a repeating spike trap. Also would test whether you can develop dodging skills while tetraplegic.

If it turns out she can take an iron spear to the gut forever, the next step would be to drop burning lignite closer and closer to her and see how flammable vampires are.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:52:11 am by Hotaru »
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 11:53:10 am »

I recommend a little bit of ‼science‼.

Wall her into a tiny room with a migrant "volunteer", drop food/booze in for the migrant, and provide a way to expose the cell to other dwarves on short notice. Eventually she'll feed, at which point you can open the cell and, hopefully, "save" the migrant. We can check to see if vampirism is communicable similar to were-animal diseases.

If failure, repurpose her as a ambush detector.
If success, vampire military.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 11:54:57 am »

Legendary eyeless vampire biter. Sounds like a perfectly good weapon to me.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 11:56:53 am »

Channel some area above cavern, build a retracting bridge over it. Link it to a lever. Put a burrow, and a garbage dump over that bridge. Make a room connected to cavern floor with double drawbridges sealing it off, and a burrow. Put a burrow in the cavern. Use this set-up to put some supplies, and all your vampires into the caverns to explore, hunt forgotten beasts, and slowly seal the caverns off with walls. Cons: lots of job cancellation spam. Pros: Get rid of vampires, so Dwarfs don't die, get rid of forgotten beasts, use vampires for something productive, awesomeness. I also recommend putting a danger room inside the cavern, and training all your vampire army there.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 11:58:21 am »

I recommend a little bit of ‼science‼.

Wall her into a tiny room with a migrant "volunteer", drop food/booze in for the migrant, and provide a way to expose the cell to other dwarves on short notice. Eventually she'll feed, at which point you can open the cell and, hopefully, "save" the migrant. We can check to see if vampirism is communicable similar to were-animal diseases.

If failure, repurpose her as a ambush detector.
If success, vampire military.

Slight problem, out of my 80+ migrants four survived. Two are children one is melancholy and the other is the vampire. I'll try to sacrifice one of the useless children but it'll take some planning.

Trojanhamster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 02:37:40 pm »

I would use her for researching a way to transmit vampirism to other dwarves. Perhaps try getting a spike trap well lubricated with her blood and then have an uninfected dwarf get stabbed by it a couple times. If the blood must be injested that will complicate things, but maybe placing food in the same tile as the spike trap and attempting to get her blood on it will work. Once I get my own fort up and running finding a feasible way to transmit vampirism is going to be on the top of my todo list.  :D

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 02:45:37 pm »

Actually if it can be ingested in fortress mode it's much easier. I'll stop making booze, build a well, and throw a vampires body in the well. I've already tried it with evil rain but apparently that isn't transmissible through ingestion.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 03:15:18 pm »

Glue her to the end of a long shaft to server as a makeshift vampiric polearm. Hire/adopt/resurrect/hypnotize a troll to wield her.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 03:31:52 pm »

I think wells clean water so that probably won't work.  Maybe store your food without barrels and drop the vampire from a great height.  I recommend testing blood splatter with something less valuable first.
Pages: [1] 2