Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Not this again ._.  (Read 1914 times)

Celarious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Not this again ._.
« on: February 16, 2012, 11:25:51 am »

So after spending a lot of time not playing DF while waiting for the new update, I may have forgotten some things.

For example, Aquifers, the terror that haunted me in EVERY version of DF and still prevents me from playing completely.

FUU and I thought Aquifers were removed

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: Not this again ._.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 11:26:42 am »

Go into the RAWs and remove the [AQUIFER]-tags from every stone.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Ascimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 11:27:53 am »

Or play at the volcano... even if there is an aquifer too, the volcano is still dorfy.
There is a finely-engraved image of Ascimator on the wall. Ascimator is slapping himself in the face. The artwork relates to the loss of the only anvil in Perplextombs in the late winter of 6.

Celarious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 11:29:57 am »

Thanks, Oliolli, I now don't have to worry about the impossible-to-evade banes of all fortresses.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:35:35 am »

Thanks, Oliolli, I now don't have to worry about the impossible-to-evade banes of all fortresses.

I mostly seem to run into them when I try to embark near a river or lake.  I embarked in an area with a lot of ponds that don't dry up oinstead, because I'd forgotten to shut off the aquifers when I world genned.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Celarious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 11:40:45 am »

I mostly seem to run into them when I try to embark near a river or lake.  I embarked in an area with a lot of ponds that don't dry up oinstead, because I'd forgotten to shut off the aquifers when I world genned.

I seem to get aquifers anywhere there is something useful such as Shallow Metals, Deep Metals, Flux Stone and the such. Most acceptable embark spots that give a hint that my fortress will last over 1 year are normally plagued by aquifers. Hence why I just turned them off and never have to worry about them again in new world gens.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 11:44:12 am »

I can almost always find a range of spots without an aquifer, and you can always use the find function to avoid them. And if you even have a bit of non-aquifer biome on your map you can did down there, even if there's aquifer elsewhere...

I just avoid them, is what I'm saying. I definitely understand that they're annoying.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Celarious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 11:53:32 am »

I can almost always find a range of spots without an aquifer, and you can always use the find function to avoid them. And if you even have a bit of non-aquifer biome on your map you can did down there, even if there's aquifer elsewhere...

I just avoid them, is what I'm saying. I definitely understand that they're annoying.

I tried that, long ago, and just did before I removed the tags. Every time I find an embark spot that's suitable and contains what I need, it has an aquifer. Anyway, now that the tags are removed, there's really no point in discussing it since I won't be seeing any of them anymore.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 11:55:07 am »

I found a perfect spot a while ago, but it had an aquifer.

I removed all aquifers from the raws and enjoyed myself in the BEST EMBARK EVER.

Until I accidentally breached a cavern wall right next to where a troll was standing.  Like 5 minutes into starting my fort.

Musaab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 11:57:51 am »

Avoiding aquifers is easy and I am glad they exist, because they add balance to the game.

Celarious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 12:18:43 pm »

Avoiding aquifers is easy and I am glad they exist, because they add balance to the game.

Get out and BURN. BURN IN MAGMA.

Celarious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 12:20:15 pm »

I found a perfect spot a while ago, but it had an aquifer.

I removed all aquifers from the raws and enjoyed myself in the BEST EMBARK EVER.

Until I accidentally breached a cavern wall right next to where a troll was standing.  Like 5 minutes into starting my fort.

Woop. High five for all the people who have edited the RAWs.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 12:57:58 pm »

I like aquifers unless they cover all of the map.

Currently, I'm playing in a place that has an aquifer. I'm yet to encounter it, actually.

So, should I need infinite water, it'll be there, but otherwise, it isn't a problem. And that's how I like my aquifers.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Celarious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 01:38:08 pm »

Ah. For me, aquifers always form an impenetrable layer of water that extends across every tile in the whole map. To actually get past the aquifer, I'd need to go long, complicated, ugly things which I'm too lazy to do. So I just remove the [AQUIFER] tags. :D

T-Mick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 01:43:23 pm »

They used to be a problem for me, ruining the best potential embarks.  But recently, I've started to embark on them anyway.  They aren't that bad.  Even the ones that form a huge layer are pretty easily breached, and they provide a good source of water.
“Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s always laughter and good red wine.
At least I’ve always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!” -Hilaire Belloc
Pages: [1] 2