Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any Tips for an Adventuring Newb?  (Read 1278 times)

FrankyPlaysGames

• Bay Watcher
  • Immolated Dwarf Punches
    • View Profile
Any Tips for an Adventuring Newb?
« on: February 16, 2012, 09:56:11 am »

I have the basics down, and the keys as well. I know not to travel alone at night, get armor as quickly as possible (Though I haven't ever yet) and other stuff like that.
Any tips on how to survive longer and have more !FUN!? I usually never live past a day, since I either die from getting ganged up on in quests, even with followers, or I die from other causes.
Also, whenever I try to eat or drink something the alerts don't go away, it stills says I'm hungry/thirsty. Another possible bug is that whenever I try and save or end game the whole game crashes, probably when it's trying to kick me back to the menu.
Any help would be appreciated!

Alexwarhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any Tips for an Adventuring Newb?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 10:06:42 am »

I have the basics down, and the keys as well. I know not to travel alone at night, get armor as quickly as possible (Though I haven't ever yet) and other stuff like that.
Any tips on how to survive longer and have more !FUN!? I usually never live past a day, since I either die from getting ganged up on in quests, even with followers, or I die from other causes.
Also, whenever I try to eat or drink something the alerts don't go away, it stills says I'm hungry/thirsty. Another possible bug is that whenever I try and save or end game the whole game crashes, probably when it's trying to kick me back to the menu.

First of all , unless you love !FUN! then don't be afraid to run. Don't get to attached to your companions , as they will take an arrow to the eye socket someday and it's frankly easier to play more games than to spend all the time setting up your dudes. Unless you are way into the game , don't bother to trade , lairs and camps are chock full of food , gear and other things.

Whenever I gen a pocket-medium world , I head for the nearby capital , as there is a good supply of meatshields for you to use. If you are attacked by bandits (IE "If you live remember it was the Incests of Buttocks!") before even moving , count how many arrows are sent your way on the first turn and if havn't got at least twice as many companions in your part as arrows flying , run. It's a good rule of thumb , especially in the new update where arrows are the flying death bolts they were in 40d. Other than that , there are the basics like don't fight against bad odds , and its much easier to cut a big animals throat than cave its skull in , a lot of large animals have very resistant skulls , and its much easier to do that than wait for a lucky shot.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 10:29:36 am »

First of all , unless you love !FUN! then don't be afraid to run. Don't get to attached to your companions , as they will take an arrow to the eye socket someday and it's frankly easier to play more games than to spend all the time setting up your dudes. Unless you are way into the game , don't bother to trade , lairs and camps are chock full of food , gear and other things.

Whenever I gen a pocket-medium world , I head for the nearby capital , as there is a good supply of meatshields for you to use. If you are attacked by bandits (IE "If you live remember it was the Incests of Buttocks!") before even moving , count how many arrows are sent your way on the first turn and if havn't got at least twice as many companions in your part as arrows flying , run. It's a good rule of thumb , especially in the new update where arrows are the flying death bolts they were in 40d. Other than that , there are the basics like don't fight against bad odds , and its much easier to cut a big animals throat than cave its skull in , a lot of large animals have very resistant skulls , and its much easier to do that than wait for a lucky shot.

This.

A single grizzly bear can get you going for a few days, and a wolf pack is canned food. especially if you have companions, since they will usually slaughter the target before you can even spot it.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Logeres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 10:51:07 am »

Invest mainly in defensive skills, preferably shield and dodging, since no armor you can get in the early stage of the game has even the slightest chance against bolts and arrows (yes, that includes iron). If you don't mind a bit of powerleveling, grab yourself some half-decent armor and search for relatively easy enemies, like wolves. Stand around while the wolves try to gnaw through your armor. You will be a master dodger, shield- and armor user in no time. Just don't do that too long, since you will eventually collapse from over-extending yourself. It doesn't usually kill you, but it will make killing the wolves an exercise in patience.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 10:55:08 am »

If you find you're dying a lot to ambushes, try not fast-traveling. Just run around in normal view and beat the tar out of random animals you find. It takes a lot longer to get to cities or other places, but it is much, much, much safer.

Except at night.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 11:50:19 am »

Still, regardless of the power of arrows, bolts and whips, get yourself metal armor of any kind ASAP. The vast majority of wounds from lesser creatures (kobold schmucks ect...) will glance off bronze even if they're using higher end weapons. There's two major things from combat that you need to worry about: blows to the head (which you can do very little about) and nerve damage. Nerve damage basically screws you because you'll never recover from it. The best way to avoid that kind of deep tissue damage is metal armor. Leather and below is almost completely worthless defensively against any kind of edged or piercing weapon attack.

Severing is bad but it doesn't seem to happen nearly as often when you're attacked by the AI, as when you attack an AI.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 12:20:58 pm »

Read up the wiki page on armor to get an idea of how to wear different layers of armor. 

Wearing one layer might seem like it will protect you, but you will be surprised at how many attacks can sneak through the different layers of armor.  The more layers of armor you wear the heavier you will be, but the better chance you will have at deflecting attacks with your armor.

I always wear leather material clothing (doubles as "armor" imo) underneath whatever iron armor I can double up on (breastplate over chainmail, helmet over cap, etc)

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 12:43:25 pm »

The number one stat to invest in is Agility, it is the main attribute that determines your speed.

If you are faster than your opponents, you can easily outmaneuver them and use hit and run tactics.  Simply let them come to you then attack, or move to a diagonal and attack then move away. Pray that they don't get a good counterattack.  It helps if you only attempt easy hits until you sufficiently cripple your opponent.  If you can't easily hit your opponent, move away and try again.

Wrestling is the ultimate skill against creatures that are not huge. You can also train it up very fast. 

Train up wrestling by first catching some animal, then get to the point where you can strangle it, you can then hold down the directional button in the direction of the opponent and you will continue strangling them until they finally suffocate.  You will get tons of skill points doing this.  Repeat on multiple critters until you get good.

Once you get good at wrestling, you can take out even legendary warriors rather easily. You can grapple their weapons so they can't use them.  Grab them so they can't move (especially enemies that are good at dodging).  Take off their armor or shield (especially those good at blocking).  Throw them to the ground stunning them so they are easier to hit.  What I really like doing is grabbing their weapon arm so I can easily chop off their hands.

Against opponents to large or dangerous to wrestle, sneak and throw crap at them or shoot them with arrows.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:47:50 pm by Berserkenstein »

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 01:05:03 pm »

Instead of creating a new thread, I'm going to ask my question here.
I can't seem to enter the sewers in towns, I see the floor grates, which I assume are the sewers entrances, but I can't seem to be able to open them or move down them.

Theropod Watcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 01:20:12 pm »

You can't enter through the grates, there are ramp entrances to the sewers.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 01:38:13 pm »

Well, now that I know what I'm looking for, it might be easier to find an entrance.
Thanks!