Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: In Persuit of Terror  (Read 27048 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: In Persuit of Terror
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2012, 07:36:40 am »

I found the perfect embark. One half rains non-lethal but very annoying rain that causes spontaneous bleeding, the other half rains goblin blood that causes nausea and horrible pain. One half causes zombies, the other half does not.  It's divided almost perfectly by a brook meandering through center of the map. If the undead cross to our side of the brook to attack they are vulnerable to permanent death, if my dwarves cross to their side of the brook to fight they are vulnerable to undeath. If you want to make war on the undead this is the kind of map you want.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 07:57:42 am by Broseph Stalin »

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2012, 07:55:44 am »

I've found an embark that's half sinister with eyeball grass but no undead and half normal. A river runs through the sinister half and the rain causes dwarves caught in it to go unconscious with a fever and small spattering of blood for a short while and then recover. They don't seem to go unconscious again.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2012, 09:50:48 am »

Was still playing the original posted embark.. mosquito swarm just pathed into the fort :(
Had magma forges up and a squad of 5 in full iron (from an original zero).  Didn't matter, too many zombies!

I'm up for another try, if someone wants to post their embark?
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2012, 11:19:39 am »

...though it seems that freakish weather is present in all evil biomes.

Is this true? I may have a modifier to this. I recently did a triple biome embark, two haunted and one normal, and I got normal rain over the whole biome.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2012, 11:21:19 am »

Is this true? I may have a modifier to this. I recently did a triple biome embark, two haunted and one normal, and I got normal rain over the whole biome.
Do you have mist? I haven't seen mist and evil rain at the same time. Alternately evil biomes can get evil rain on top of regular rain.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2012, 11:49:29 am »

I found the perfect embark. One half rains non-lethal but very annoying rain that causes spontaneous bleeding, the other half rains goblin blood that causes nausea and horrible pain. One half causes zombies, the other half does not.  It's divided almost perfectly by a brook meandering through center of the map. If the undead cross to our side of the brook to attack they are vulnerable to permanent death, if my dwarves cross to their side of the brook to fight they are vulnerable to undeath. If you want to make war on the undead this is the kind of map you want.

Is the half that does not cause zombies evil?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2012, 12:04:53 pm »

Is the half that does not cause zombies evil?
Yes, that's why it rains slime. Not every evil map makes zombies.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2012, 12:48:28 pm »

If an area has resurrecting dead, will dead things instantly come back to life? Also, will dead undead come back to life?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2012, 12:49:21 pm »

If an area has resurrecting dead, will dead things instantly come back to life? Also, will dead undead come back to life?
It's not instant but it's not clear what controls how long they die. Anything that dies in a resurrecting biome rises, and rises, and rises, and rises until it wins.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2012, 01:13:23 pm »

Ah. One of my war dogs just killed an undead eagle. It didn't raise immediately, but I think it has now. The special rain in this biome is causing my dwarves to hurl, but no other effects have been noticed yet.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2012, 01:39:45 pm »

Do you have mist? I haven't seen mist and evil rain at the same time. Alternately evil biomes can get evil rain on top of regular rain.

No, not that I saw. And I held out for a season or so. Had it rain normally several times, over the whole map. No mists, no ash clouds. Still haven't seen those in the few times I've embarked.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2012, 04:45:53 pm »

I'm In Persuit of Terror.  Can you guys post your impossible embarks?  You can place restrictions on it too, as a sort of challenge (ex. no civilian burrows or above ground only).
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2012, 04:52:41 pm »

I'm attempting an above-ground embark on the previously linked embark.  The big issue seems to be "do something with the corpses".  I can defeat them, easily.  Very easily.  What I can't do, is defeat them 100% of the time.  They have infinite time, but they only need one single move to break through and win, and then I lose.  The burden of pressure is most definitely on the defender.

A method of corpse disposal must be devised if we ever hope to conquer the evil areas of the untame lands.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2012, 05:01:48 pm »

ok, how about a dodge trap from the refuse pile? Anything that reanimates will try to path out of the refuse via the dodge trap.  You can place an atom smasher at the bottom for fps saving(if the pit gets that bad).  I have been using small refuse piles next to an atom smasher but this only works if you can keep the zombie bits under control.  If it escalates too much then civies can't obey the d->b->d because of interruptions.

brb/afk, door
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2012, 05:07:11 pm »

I'm attempting an above-ground embark on the previously linked embark.  The big issue seems to be "do something with the corpses".  I can defeat them, easily.  Very easily.  What I can't do, is defeat them 100% of the time.  They have infinite time, but they only need one single move to break through and win, and then I lose.  The burden of pressure is most definitely on the defender.

A method of corpse disposal must be devised if we ever hope to conquer the evil areas of the untame lands.
Pits, atom smasher, or burning. The problem with burning is that when a corpse rises it loses all wear and is immediately extinguished. My current embark has the good fortune of being 1/2 evil zombie and 1/2 evil lite so as long as they get killed on our side of the river they stay dead. I forgot to make the ceiling first so my dwarves keep passing out while trying to make the floors.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8