Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: In Persuit of Terror  (Read 27051 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
In Persuit of Terror
« on: February 16, 2012, 09:45:10 am »

I'm embarking.  I'm looking for a terrifying embark with all the fun.  And Fun.  Eyeball grass, zombies, mist clouds, all that!  So far all I've been getting are "regular" terrifying biomes, harpies are scary and all but I'm looking for more.

Can anyone report success on finding terrifyingly terrifying biomes regularly?

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
Re: In Persuit of Terror
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 09:56:12 am »

Not having very good success here.  Had an eyeball embark with clouds every five minutes (with pause/zoom)  but abandoned due to aquifer problems and dwarves being numb & slow to do anything.   Worst one so far was eagle corpses (zombies).  Can't just dump them in a channel.  That experience makes me very afraid of these mosquito swarms people are talking about.  Also, ravens are crazy fast.

Current embark is "high evil" using the finder tool.  But no rains/mists.  Plenty of zomb critters though.  I feel like re-rolling embarks until getting the perfect one.

I'd love to see a horrible horrible embark too!  How do you increase the evil? I put max savagery and get a little clump :(
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 10:02:51 am »

I got one with zombies, but no eyeball grass or evil soot.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 10:05:40 am »

there should be a number of curse mists/cursed rains generated per world in adv world generation.

Boosting this up might help, not too sure.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:22:34 am »

I got one with tentacle grass, eyeball grass and crowmen, no zombies or mist though. It also got tore up by two were creatures and a giant hedgehog. Hammerdwarf's put up a fight though >:D

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 11:25:06 am »

In world gen, whack up evil rain/mist/etc types to 100 from 26. That will make any evil biome generated to near guarantee to have a couple. Whack it up more if you want waves of evil to roll over you every season. I guess it boils down to "use more of everything evil, hope it doesn't crash"
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 11:26:55 am »

I've got a yellow bitter filth rain every season. It burns and blisters all the way through, so even your bones become blistered. My cattle outside has their eyes molten out of their skull, their bodies are bloated and blistered and skin is almost falling off, and the few that survive are taken by harpies swooping by once in a while. Quite a few of my dwarves are blind. The first thing the new migrants do, after wading through an endless waste of yellow bile, is report to the hospital, and all the doc can do for them is say unto them "Yep, that's the rain allright, now get to work".

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

PotatoOverdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 11:49:34 am »

I've done some !!SCIENCE!! with regards to embarking on terrifying biomes.

What I found was that if you want lots of zombies on your terrifying biome, you want to look for dead trees and dead vegitation. If you embark in a terrifying biome, and everything is dead, that is a VERY good sign that you'll have lots of zombies and cursed rain/mist. On the other hand, every single embark where I had eyeball grass worm tendrils and generally "living" plants, the biome tends to be full of the usual evil stuff, no zombies. The way I think it works is as follows:

World Generates terrifying biome --> World generates animals and weather for terrifying biome --> weather kills animals (and plants?) in biome --> terrifying biome raises dead --> everything is dead or undead.

In my current biome, for example, all of the vegitation is dead and one of the rains I get is a nauseating green muck that turns any living thing into a zombie after prolonged (30 seconds-a minute) exposure. Lots of undead on the surface.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 11:52:35 am »

I'm embarking.  I'm looking for a terrifying embark with all the fun.  And Fun.  Eyeball grass, zombies, mist clouds, all that!  So far all I've been getting are "regular" terrifying biomes, harpies are scary and all but I'm looking for more.

Can anyone report success on finding terrifyingly terrifying biomes regularly?
Embark on an intersection if you can. I only ever got zombies or rain or clouds, with my new embark one biome gives me what the other can't.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 12:01:35 pm »

Bonus terror if you have an ocean. Zombie sponge people/starfish people/angler fish people.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 12:04:31 pm »

The only terryfing thing that has happened in my embark is a scaredy accursed husk of a dwarf fisher, neither one of my dwarves nor a merchant or diplomat. He is a legendary dodger and runs around the map the entire year chased by lots of dogs and occasionally my lame military.  ::)

He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 12:04:31 pm »

Bonus terror if you have an ocean. Zombie sponge people/starfish people/angler fish people.

Don't forget
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 12:20:32 pm »

I just annihilated on a terrifying biome with tentacle grass/plants and insta reanimation, I didn't get so far as to see whether it had any mist!
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 12:24:38 pm »

If you don't mind using the advanced world generation tools, it's really easy to get a large number of evil zones. The amount of evil in the world can be safely ramped up 10 times or more without resulting in many rejections at all.

Edit: posted too soon.

Editing the savagery mesh helps too.

Savagery mesh size: 2x2
Savagery weighted range (0 - 20): 9
Savagery weighted range (20 - 40):4
Savagery weighted range (40 - 60):1
Savagery weighted range (60 - 80):9
Savagery weighted range (80 - 100):16
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:27:25 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 12:59:57 pm »

I'm heavily using advanced worldgen, and having trouble finding proper evil.

It appears, to me, that every "evil subregion" has its own rules.  If you see a large blotch of purple on the map, chances are that it will either all have tentacle grass or it all won't.  Specific rain types seem to be based on the individual biome, but the live/undead, tentacle/normal grass, mist/none seems to work on a very large-scale method.  My pocket worlds with evil zones would only exhibit one type of evil.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8